New 2011 Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2018, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New 2011 Insight

Hello all! I just purchased a 2011 Honda Insight EX w/o navigation. 74900mi. Two previous local owners, no accidents or fleet use. Very nice, inside and out. I had been eyeing it a few weeks and made an offer. The Insight is my first Honda, but I have experience driving a 2014 ILX Hybrid, so I'm familiar with the 'feel' of Honda's system.

My issue is with the 2 previous owners on the Carfax. The original owner took it to the dealer for regular maintenance and inspections, CVT fluid changed and new tires at 30k, regular filter changes, etc. The second owner not so much. Oil/filter changes at a Shell station. It's last trip to a Honda dealer (for a maintenance inspection) was in April 2017 and 59k.

I have a 60mi round-trip commute, and I would like to get back on track with regular maintenance at a Honda dealer (the same one the first owner used in fact). I would like to see 200k, so any advice on what and when to prioritize service would be great. Already scheduled an oil change and CVT service, along with the outstanding airbag recall. Any tips from the pros? Issues to look out for?
Botany500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's it. These things are not maintenance queens. There isn't even a timing belt to replace at (typically) 105k The MID is supposed to set codes for required service, but the last owner could have messed that up. You have to wait until the oil life shows 15% before the other codes will show. A dealer can reset the MID for oil life only with their code readers, leaving the other codes intact.
It is wise to change the CVT fluid a little more often than the MID will show, like every other change, provided you are going all the way to 15%. That would make the CVT interval about 16-20K. I don't think your Insight is particularly deglected. Do check, or have the dealer check, the condition of the engine and cabin filters.(both of these are really easy to replace if you want to save some money) That should have been done twice by now. You could also be looking at front brakes if they have never been changed. Because of regenerative braking, those pads can last a long time. Many have those last well over 80k. Our Insight is at over 130k and still has the original rear brakes. Just save up for the spark plug change. There are 8 of them and they are expensive and the only ones you should use. Many here have waited beyond the 105k (ish) code set for them without issue. We waited to 120-125 I think and the plugs that came out were just fine. And new ones made no difference in how it drove.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Basically what egads said. On mine I did one oil change at the local JiffyLube when down to maybe 0% or 5% left on the MID (basically when I got tired of dealing with the chime and the wrench icon) and the other at the dealership and had them also do the CVT. I also have a longish commute, 68mi round trip mainly highways.
It worked out to roughly 2x a year oil changes for me. I did air, cabin, and windshield wipers once a year. Had Amazon setup to auto ship these things in Nov, so when they showed up it was time to get them swapped.
Coolant I did @117,700mi, Spark plugs and valve adjustment @107,190mi, serpentine/accessory belts & brakes @96,300mi. Keep your ears out for the brakes! I was down to 2mm and never heard them squeak until I was told how low they were, then I kept an ear out for them. It was a low squeak that was there for maybe a split second at the last minute before coming to a complete stop. Other than that, the car for me was pretty much low maintenance.

The only repairs I ever had to do was a rear wheel bearing that was out when newish (66k mi), rear shocks that were leaking (96k mi), transmission mounts (120k mi), and then the positive battery cable that snapped for having an oversized 12v AGM battery.
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Asking for advice or validation of experience.

2011 just passed 103k Miles. Last 3 tanks of gas have shown 36-38 net mpg, when previously would hang in at 40-42. I note "egads" reports no difference after spark plug changeout. I note that the idle can produce more vibration than I'd expect, but can also go very smooth.Here in Portland, OR USA we have a great independent garage that does hybirds (Atomic Auto), is there a diagnostic that tells if they are bad?

Also, thought the trans fluid lasted longer than 20k. Never had a CVT before, I am nervous about how it can have the sense of slack before engaging, which would be bad news on a conventional automatic.
nowackim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

All Honda automatics have a “slack” as you put it before engaging, even the CVTs. That said, there was a software update for, among other things, the CVT and it’s engagement coming out of autostop.
All Honda automatics have also worked best with frequent fluid changes. There is nothing conventional about a Honda automatic.

About your low mileage: have you checked your tire pressures? What is the front brake pad history? Those could be sticking or dragging. One of the disadvantages of having regenerative braking and the pads lasting so long is that the brakes never get serviced. No lubing pins or replaced return springs.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I do watch tire pressure, 42.

Brakes were done about 1 year ago. one was dragging.
nowackim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in