purchase options : 2009 vs 2012 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default purchase options : 2009 vs 2012

Good morning,my first post,thank you for having me.

I'm getting rid of my Yaris Hybrid and looking to buy either a 2009 or a 2012 Insight. They both have the same kms ( 92K Kms) and both have been regularly serviced at Honda dealers. The 2012 is more appealing but I'm reading a lot of bad stuff about the oil consumption issues. I'm based in Italy so I really don't know if that issue affected the European models aswell, I'm not reading anything on our local forums yet but it seems that this car is long gone and forgotten here in Italy. So, here I am asking to the experts. Too bad the 2009 is black while the 2012 is silver like my Prius...
Devastazione is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

You might check with a local honda dealer and see if there is any warranty extension in Italy. As far as I know, all Insights were made in Japan.
The improvements in 2012 here in the US were not great, mostly the Navigation system, some chrome parts and a suspension upgrade that was just a sway bar or something. You would have to see what the model differences were in Europe. At 92k KM, (57,166 miles) oil consumption should just be starting. It seems to show up here between 60-80k miles (96k & 129k Km)
It may also be that European fuel helps keep the piston ring issue at bay.

Last edited by egads; 12-07-2018 at 12:51 PM.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

I did a bit of research into the 2nd Gen Insight when it was one of the cars my mom was considering purchasing (she ended up going with the Prius). I was seeing red flags everywhere for oil burning issues with the 2012 and 2013 Insights. If I recall correctly, Honda was testing a new part on those Insights, which obviously was a big failure. The other Insight years are much better.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have 2 2012 insights. Neither burn oil at all i had them both checked and both are fine but i still check my oil levels every other fill up just to be sure.
hondainsight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondainsight2012 View Post
I have 2 2012 insights. Neither burn oil at all i had them both checked and both are fine but i still check my oil levels every other fill up just to be sure.
How many miles on them?
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

One has 122000k im selling that one other has about 20k i had both tested at the dealership neither one burns oil
hondainsight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in