wind and rubber - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wind and rubber

Had some strong side winds up here in NW Washington State this morning . . . and certainly felt the Insight moving around in the lane . . . a little disconcerting but doable (flat open land at 50mph). But it does get me to thinking about the switch from the stock 175/65R15 to 185/60R15 treads. To those of you tht have done this — did you notice a ‘real world’ positive difference in road holding?
CllbHam497 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I know what u mean re wind .... the car really gets buffeted and the stock tires on the 2010-11 don't help ... I swapped out the dunlop 175 65 15's for a set of kumho and now yoko 185 65 15's and the car is a bit more planted and sure footed ... other members have tried 195 60 15 for an even wider contact patch ... rubbing isn't an issue and they all fit on the stock rims fine

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles

Last edited by jcbesq; 01-09-2019 at 07:20 AM.
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you . . . . good to know. I am going to swap out the stock tires (keeping the 2011 steel wheels) after yesterday’s experience.

Any consensus on 185/60R15 vs 185/65R15 vs 195/60R15?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CllbHam497 View Post
Thank you . . . . good to know. I am going to swap out the stock tires (keeping the 2011 steel wheels) after yesterday’s experience.

Any consensus on 185/60R15 vs 185/65R15 vs 195/60R15?
185/65R15, I took the advice from someone in this forum and it worked out great. Throw away those unsafe stock Dunlops as soon as possible, you should notice HUGE differences.
eepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, good to hear! Any thoughts/experience with particular tire brand or type? Cost is irrelevant, I want to grip the road best I can.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm on my second set of Michelins Premier A/S. the grip is outstanding, I feel 100% confident driving in rain. Tread life isn't as good as other brands, but I don't care as long as it give me 40,000 miles+(which it likely will) and I can step on the gas with no spin-outs on wet roads. All tires have traction ratings (you can research at Tirerack website), I only use tires with traction A or even AA (Michelin Pilot Sports A/S).

Michelins are on sale in Costco right now through Jan 13th, you can order them online before 13th to receive the discount.

Last edited by eepp; 01-09-2019 at 09:57 PM.
eepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

I’m actually a fan of Michelin from way back — I’ll go nab a set of these. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

We have the Michelin Defenders in the Size they started using in 2012 (don’t remember the size) What a difference! Made it into a new car. Those have a really high rptreadwear rating, but are quite expensive. I don’t know what the traction rating is, but living in the Pacific Northwest, you may want a better one than those have.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in