Loud rear brake noise - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have the same kind of issue on my 2001 MT. I got concerned because they were getting noisy all of a sudden. Just took the drums off this hour and saw the brake shoes looked ok. The drum might be worn since they have worn into the drum about maybe 1/32. It has one new wheel cylinder from 12/18. The brake line ruptured and one cylinder was so corroded they needed to replace it in order to connect the new lines.

Here's hoping it's a self-adjustment issue.
Abunker11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

So I measured the pads and they are 3mm which is fine. The wear in the drum is minimal. I can barely feel the difference between worn and not worn metal. I wonder why the pads being out of adjustment would cause them to become noisy? It's worth a try anyway using Willie W's parking lot adjustment method. Otherwise I'm going to suspect my much newer front disc brakes.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

So I think my right rear brake system might have some issues. Upon comparing right and left I am thinking right side is suspect. What do others think?

Is this drum brake shoe bad. It looks pitted to me but don't have much experience.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iWI...ew?usp=sharing

The right side drum seems to have some grooves worn and also dark markings that are perpendicular to the shoe wear.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GDq...ew?usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Looks like brand new parts. Let them wear them in a bit and see if the noise goes away.

The perpendicular lines might just be from being left with the parking brake on for a long time, or with some water in the drum. Again, should polish out with a bit of use.
kalmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmar View Post
Looks like brand new parts. Let them wear them in a bit and see if the noise goes away.

The perpendicular lines might just be from being left with the parking brake on for a long time, or with some water in the drum. Again, should polish out with a bit of use.
That is good to hear. Thanks. I noticed some contact between the drums and rust that had built up on the backing plate. I chipped the worst parts off which stopped some of the grinding noise when I turned it by hand. I also cleaned out a bit of sand and fair amount of powder with a rag. I've read to never use compressed air due to the hazards of breathing the dust. I also tried adjusting the DB by backing up rapidly and applying the brakes. Not sure if that helped but I think overall they are quieter.

My front disc brakes are 2 years new and the right side looks good. The left side wheel was torqued down so hard during the brake job that I haven't gotten it off. Is it ok to use a torch on tire nuts?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

Spray the lug with some good looseing oil. 80 ft pounds of torque on the lug nuts. Get a breaker bar and use an extension if needed.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 436,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in