1st Gen owner getting a 2nd Gen Insight - New Zealand - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default 1st Gen owner getting a 2nd Gen Insight - New Zealand

So while our beloved 2000 Honda Insight ("Teresa") sits idle in our highly secure bunker in Maine waiting for our return, we are looking for a 2nd Generation Insight in New Zealand. We can't find a 1st Gen here for sale.

There are however imported 2nd Gen insights from Japan, Britain, Singapore, Australia in right hand drive abundance.

So to cut to the chase, I want to know which year to get. We have 2009 to 2014 to choose from. I also want the options you think are the most important. By the way, the "models here are completely messed up due to the number of random importing countries.

My goal is to select the year and find the one with the options I want. Please grant me some of your wisdom.
2000 MT #5200 119K 63.2 LMPG
2003 Civic Hybrid 80K 45-52 MPG
2001 Suzuki DR200 95 MPG
moemobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Read the stickies:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...ting-problems/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

120.009 miles 2011 LX never a repair but did replace shocks and struts. Highly recommemd.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Insightfull2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Avoid the 2012-2013. Those model years had experimental low friction piston rings that caused excessive oil consumption and fouled spark plugs. Here in the US, (at least) there is an extended warranty and a fix involving tearing down the engine and replacing them. But in other countries, especially with gray market imports, you may be stuck with the repair cost yourself.

Don't know much about how the right hand drive Insights were packaged. You might be able to look up old brochures from Australia. I know that the folks in Great Britain & Ireland who get imports from Japan find that the navigation system is really Japan specific and just have to replace the whole system.

Here in the states there were only three trim levels. A base very stripped down, an LX with a simple audio system and no cruise control, and an EX with better audio and a usb input. The EX was also available with Navigation that, in the first years, also included bluetooth. Starting in 2012, bluetooth was standard in all EX models.

I do hope you know that any hybrid is a very poor choice to be left sitting for extended periods of time. If you are going back & forth without someone driving the cars on each end, you are probably better off with just a simple gas engine.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2nd gen, 2nd generation, advice, buying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in