Paddle Shifters for FUN w/o sacrificing MPG - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Paddle Shifters for FUN w/o sacrificing MPG

I have owned my 2011 insight for 4.5 years now. I recently became really bored driving it despite the high traffic in my area requiring me to stay alert all the time. I know I would love driving a stick shift again, but that's not my plan. I started using paddle shifters as a compromise, and learned I didn't have to sacrifice MPG much after all if I used the shifters wisely. It only takes a little practice to get used to. I know I can engage engine brake even in the drive mode, which seems to improve MPG a bit, but that's not my intention. I just need a fun factor out of insight.

I believe you can achieve comparable mpgs by staying below 70 mph and by wisely shifting gears in the city. I still miss the dynamic stick shift driving which is far more engaging, but paddle shifters give me a compromise that I can live with for now.

What is your experience with paddle shifting/S mode? Never had I thought I would use them again the first time I briefly tried them years ago.
nobujak2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Please click "User CP" above, then on left bar click "Edit your details" so that you can list a general location. This is very helpful to all, especially when you want some help
Old 02-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

I suggest using the "Quick Links" tab. Your choice.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm glad you are having fun with them. I personally never really used them.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Forgive my ignorance, I've never driven a CVT (anything) with paddle shifters, but how does using the paddles differ from modulating the gas pedal? Every other CVT I've driven gives pretty proportional RPM to throttle percentage.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

The paddle shift "gears" correspond to certain points on the cvt cone simulating a traditional geared tranny

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbesq View Post
The paddle shift "gears" correspond to certain points on the cvt cone simulating a traditional geared tranny
Well sure, but you also "shift gears" just by pressing the pedal to varying degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
paddle, shifters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in