Another one bites the dust - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another one bites the dust

So, our 2010 EX w/ Navigation got clipped by an police officer running a red light. That hesitation you get while the the engine auto starts and the CVT engages probably saved my wife from injury. A little faster off the line and she would have been hit directly at the driver's door. As it was the entire front ended up being pushed to the right. No airbag deployment. She actually drove it to the body shop. Because our Insights hold so little value, it did not take much to get to a total loss. Our insurance company, Mercury, will up to a loss if the repair reaches 80% of value. This all turned out for the best, as my wife was quite done driving such a little car as we are "of a certain age" and we got way more as a loss than we would have trading it in or selling it privately. She was prepared to drive it to the bitter end to avoid car payments. Alas, fate intervened.

It had 141,000 miles, never gave us a drop of trouble. If anyone is looking for parts or finds a Salvage Insight in silver with NAV, I can vouch for it. The last four digits of the VIN are: 4766
If anyone does buy it as a salvage, I have a thick file of all the service records I would not mind forwarding, just shoot me a private message. If it ends up being parted out, I can say that the service history is almost perfect. IMA strong and not involved in the accident. The battery under the hood was just replaced. Has Michelin defenders tires on it. I could probably find the NAV code somewhere.

So fellow Insight owners, it's kind of goodby, although I will probably still chime in here & there, just to make sure some 1st gen owner doesn't give 2nd gen owners bad information. Or to inform 2012 & 2013 owners that their oil consumption and fouled spark plugs are part of a warranty extension.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Glad to here your wife is ok.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry for your demise. Glad your wife not hurt. How is your back, etc. Deep pockets available.
Hate to see you leave, but "Life Goes On."
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

All the best

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well, glad to hear youíre both okay - must have been harrowing. But hate to see you go, your input and generosity around here has been invaluable!

Any consideration for getting the new 3rd Gen and leading the way forward for us 2nd Gen stalwarts?

By-the-by . . . . I put those 185/60/15 tires on my 2011 and the ride/handling CHANGED THE CAR, awesome!

Do drop in from time to time . . . .

High fives and raising my morning coffee your way
CllbHam497 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Certainly could have been way worse. Glad that there were no injuries, but sorry to hear that your Insight was totaled. Hope you do hang around with us on this forum. What car are you looking at to replace your trusty Insight?

On a side note... in the past few years I've noticed a lot of drivers running through intersections (of course the police and Fire/Rescue will do it with sirens going) after the yellow light has gone to red.

I've witnessed two accidents resulting from this behavior. I recommend that all drivers look both ways before launching through an intersection right after the light turns green, no matter what type of vehicle you're driving. I know that the impatience quotient runs high in most places these days, but a couple of seconds to make sure that no one is still making a "late" run through the intersection is totally worth the possible honk from behind.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm glad your wife is okay! Sorry to hear about the car though. What're you driving next?
jrronimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

In the grand tradition of a VW bug owner getting in a wreck and going out & buying a Suburban, we actually replaced that car with a 2016 Acura RDX Technology. Our reasons were many fold, but among them: Our other car is a Honda Odyssey, my daily driver and work truck. That is what we would take on vacations. It is, however, very long in the tooth, (235,000 miles) & pretty beat up. (and without this incident, what we would have replaced) When my wife first bought the Insight, we had looked at an CRV and that would have been a more suitable vehicle for her. At time, she was doing a lot of long commutes and with the .09% financing Honda offered at the time the Insight was practically free. (the fuel savings covered the payments) What the RDX came down to was our age. An Acura RDX is a CRV with smooth suspension and sound deadening. Major items Honda left out of the Insight. If she were still driving as much as before, we might have looked into the Prius wagon or even the new Insight. But she really missed the height of her old minivan. Driving the freeways of LA with the A/C on full blast she never got much better than 38 MPG in the Insight anyway. Now we have as much luxury as we can afford.

Besides, a baby boomers, it is up to us to use up as many resources as possible
Old 03-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

My I2 Exw/Navi got hit by a Federal Police Vehicle (Chevy Tahoe) couple years ago in a parking lot, the driver claimed he was on official government business ... and I have to take it up to my own insurance. The damage was about same as my insurance $500 copay, so I ended up with a cracked light fixture and popping my front bumper back in myself.

Did you get same treatment by the Police Vehicle? Sounds like it was really on official business in your case though.
eepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

The officer admitted running the light, several black & whites showed up (the undercover officer said they were there mostly to laugh at him) and my wife had to wait for the city attorney to arrive. She took many photos. My wife reported the accident to our insurance at the scene. That's how I found out about it, from an email from the insurance company. So far it has cost us our deductible and the difference between our rental coverage and what we rented. The city should pay us back for that eventually. In the meantime, the insurance has already paid for a total.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in