First Trans Fluid Change at 118K - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Trans Fluid Change at 118K

2012 Insight EX

Owned since new, always garage kept. Had oil burning issue come up at just under 70K. Performed oil consumption test through dealer and was burning 1 quart every 1,240 miles. Honda approved SB 15-015 and dealer replaced piston rings, pins and all 8 spark plugs, among other things as part of the service bulletin at 72K. That solved oil burning, but it's had a small oil leak ever since, dealer has: 74K replaced front crankshaft oil seal; 84K resealed oil pan gasket; 92K replaced valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. Still a small leak, not noticeable on dipstick but it still spots my garage floor and makes it a little messy under the engine. Received related extended warranty from Honda for up to 8 years an unlimited mileage. I've lived with the oil leak now up to 118K, considering whether to pursue through dealer/warranty.

Aside from that issue, it's been a fantastic vehicle. Bought as a commuter, 350 miles a week on 'back roads' so usually between 45-60 MPH. Some surface streets, stop and go, but it's been driven pretty easy as a commuter, and we used it for a few long trips prior to having the 3rd kid. I'll admit, aside from oil changes, tires (on 3rd set, 2nd of Yokohama Avid Ascends, which are decent - replaced original Bridestone Ecopia which got to 45K miles), and front brakes (original pads lasted until 90K, had Big O install their Wagners - hated them from the start - and just replaced those pads/warped rotors with Powerstop Evolution, which feel good so far) I've kind of ignored any other maintenance items until recently. Came back to the forum and didn't take long to realize I should have been more attentive to the CVT Fluid changes.

Have seen real world MPG 48-50 commute, 45-46 freeway @ 75MPH and 43-44 around town. Recently commute MPG is down around 45-46. I had my brake fluid flushed with the new pad/rotor install, and I just did the drain/refill of the CVT fluid - see pics of the drain plug and the old/new fluid. I previously performed the CVT reset procedure (37 MPH then coast to 5 MPH) and that had a noticeable effect on improving smooth acceleration. Have only driven it about 10-15 miles with the new fluid but it felt better.

Now considering inline CVT filter change at next interval - will likely change again at 2nd oil change. Engine coolant is full and smells/looks fine, so not planning to change. Also planning to purchase new OEM rear shocks from Bernardi's. Considering new 12V battery since it is still original.

Any input on overall maintenance I should be attentive to? Comments on Trans fluid??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3139.JPG (134.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3134.JPG (104.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3133.JPG (74.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3132.JPG (107.7 KB, 5 views)
norcalboon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Default Plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalboon View Post
2012 Insight EX

Owned since new, always garage kept. Had oil burning issue come up at just under 70K. Performed oil consumption test through dealer and was burning 1 quart every 1,240 miles. Honda approved SB 15-015 and dealer replaced piston rings, pins and all 8 spark plugs, among other things as part of the service bulletin at 72K. That solved oil burning, but it's had a small oil leak ever since, dealer has: 74K replaced front crankshaft oil seal; 84K resealed oil pan gasket; 92K replaced valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. Still a small leak, not noticeable on dipstick but it still spots my garage floor and makes it a little messy under the engine. Received related extended warranty from Honda for up to 8 years an unlimited mileage. I've lived with the oil leak now up to 118K, considering whether to pursue through dealer/warranty.

Aside from that issue, it's been a fantastic vehicle. Bought as a commuter, 350 miles a week on 'back roads' so usually between 45-60 MPH. Some surface streets, stop and go, but it's been driven pretty easy as a commuter, and we used it for a few long trips prior to having the 3rd kid. I'll admit, aside from oil changes, tires (on 3rd set, 2nd of Yokohama Avid Ascends, which are decent - replaced original Bridestone Ecopia which got to 45K miles), and front brakes (original pads lasted until 90K, had Big O install their Wagners - hated them from the start - and just replaced those pads/warped rotors with Powerstop Evolution, which feel good so far) I've kind of ignored any other maintenance items until recently. Came back to the forum and didn't take long to realize I should have been more attentive to the CVT Fluid changes.

Have seen real world MPG 48-50 commute, 45-46 freeway @ 75MPH and 43-44 around town. Recently commute MPG is down around 45-46. I had my brake fluid flushed with the new pad/rotor install, and I just did the drain/refill of the CVT fluid - see pics of the drain plug and the old/new fluid. I previously performed the CVT reset procedure (37 MPH then coast to 5 MPH) and that had a noticeable effect on improving smooth acceleration. Have only driven it about 10-15 miles with the new fluid but it felt better.

Now considering inline CVT filter change at next interval - will likely change again at 2nd oil change. Engine coolant is full and smells/looks fine, so not planning to change. Also planning to purchase new OEM rear shocks from Bernardi's. Considering new 12V battery since it is still original.

Any input on overall maintenance I should be attentive to? Comments on Trans fluid??
Change the sparkplugs yet?
Garrydhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Default Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalboon View Post
2012 Insight EX

That tiny leak might be the crush washer squeezed too tight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrydhu View Post
Change the sparkplugs yet?
Plugs got changed at 72k miles (116,000km) when the dealer did the piston rings. Not due again until 177k miles (285000km)
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Default 😀😀

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
Plugs got changed at 72k miles (116,000km) when the dealer did the piston rings. Not due again until 177k miles (285000km)
Happy days
Old 06-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

CVT reset procedure (37 MPH then coast to 5 MPH) . . . . . is this a real thing (i.e., factory Honda procedure)?
CllbHam497 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Yes that's whayi did to my old insight, although it's supposed to stop AFAIK/ remember, maybe I'm forgetful,one or the other, and don't touch the pedals
Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

35? I think ,must try and find it,you got a link to the exact thread?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

The exact thread where the procedure is mentioned is the one at the top of this page by norcalboon.
CllbHam497 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

👍I had it saved ref exact name of the updates etc but was away from the forum for ages etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in