Ac and idling - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ac and idling

If I’m parked and the let the car idle with the ac on the rpm goes below 1k for a second then shoots up to like 2k+ for a second. It does this like every 5+ second. Is this normal?
TaoHonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, your AC is kicking on and off, that is the clutch on the AC working.
It could also be because of the temp. setting on the climate control. or you may be low on ref. coolant.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Willie Williford; 05-28-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
It could also be because of the temp. setting on the climate control. or you may be low on ref. coolant.
Nope coolant is fine. It looks similar to this so I think I’m going to try cleaning the throttle
https://youtu.be/id26HIyI84U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is not something we have seen before in the second generation Insights. In other Hondas this can be related to the refrigerant level or the control of the compressor. There are relays that kick up the idle when the compressor kicks on. All modern A/C compressors cycle. But your idle kicking all the way up to 2k is not normal. The ref coolant Willie refers to is refrigerant, the stuff that circulates through the compressor, condenser (in front of radiator) and the evaporator (that the fan inside blows across)

I can't remember how many miles are on your Insight, but it's possible the previous owner went out of their way to not use the A/C. This can cause it to leak as the gaskets at the refrigerant lines dry out. You can also loose refrigerant because of a damaged condenser, it is subject t being hit with rocks.

You might look for post about your symptoms on a Civic or Civic Hybrid forum.
I do not consider A/C a dyi repair item unless you are well versed. An electronic sensor or relay you could change, but don't try to recharge the system without experience.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
This is not something we have seen before in the second generation Insights. In other Hondas this can be related to the refrigerant level or the control of the compressor. There are relays that kick up the idle when the compressor kicks on. All modern A/C compressors cycle. But your idle kicking all the way up to 2k is not normal. The ref coolant Willie refers to is refrigerant, the stuff that circulates through the compressor, condenser (in front of radiator) and the evaporator (that the fan inside blows across)

I can't remember how many miles are on your Insight, but it's possible the previous owner went out of their way to not use the A/C. This can cause it to leak as the gaskets at the refrigerant lines dry out. You can also loose refrigerant because of a damaged condenser, it is subject t being hit with rocks.

I do not consider A/C a dyi repair item unless you are well versed. An electronic sensor or relay you could change, but don't try to recharge the system without experience.
I think it might be Freon overcharged .... going to take it to the shop tomorrow wish me luck.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post

Yup turns out it was overcharged by 40%! Got it removed and replaced with the correct amount. —$60. Blows cold fast and the rpm kick is gone. Lesson learned kids...don’t let your neighbors friend do your ac work. Hopefully this didn’t messed up my new ac compressor.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

You cheated when asking for help, you didn't give all the details on the AC, esp. recently filled.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
You cheated when asking for help, you didn't give all the details on the AC, esp. recently filled.
Sorry I’m a car noob. Didn’t think something like that would mess with the rpm
Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Everything is pertinent. Click & Clack would have wanted to know what color it was.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in