Safety Suite question - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 3rd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Safety Suite question

I've been reading about the '19 Insight safety suite. Happily they all seem to have an "off" button, which I'll likely use, as I don't like the idea of the car taking away my control of it, without specific directions to do so (e.g. cruise control).

This last weekend I took a 200 mile trip. I made good use of the cruise control. There were several mildly frustrating situations where Adaptive Cruise Control would be a lovely feature to have. But the idea of an automatic Lane Keeping Assistance that may inhibit my ability to avoid a very aggressive driver without use of a turn signal is abhorrent. I have similar concerns with the other features.

So I'm wanting to know, from those who have actual Insight driving experience, if any problems with the Safety Suite gizmos have come up?
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemike View Post
I've been reading about the '19 Insight safety suite. Happily they all seem to have an "off" button, which I'll likely use, as I don't like the idea of the car taking away my control of it, without specific directions to do so (e.g. cruise control).

This last weekend I took a 200 mile trip. I made good use of the cruise control. There were several mildly frustrating situations where Adaptive Cruise Control would be a lovely feature to have. But the idea of an automatic Lane Keeping Assistance that may inhibit my ability to avoid a very aggressive driver without use of a turn signal is abhorrent. I have similar concerns with the other features.

So I'm wanting to know, from those who have actual Insight driving experience, if any problems with the Safety Suite gizmos have come up?
I couple minor issues:

The ACC works wonderfully until a car ahead of you pulls over to make a turn. You ACC slams on the brakes. If you're aware this can happen, you can cancel the ACC before it happens.

LKAS works awesome as well. I don't use it as the mild tug to center every now and then is annoying, but it does do what it's supposed to do. It doesn't take much force at all to override it (without the turn signal), so that shouldn't be a cause for concern.

I turned off the automatic lane watch (on right turn signal) as I don't need it on my country road drive to work. I simply use the button at the end of the turn signal stalk to turn it on and off when I need it on the highway.

The other safety features - lane departure, etc. - work as advertised and with no ill effects.
hasarad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviemike View Post

I'd leave all the safety features on for at least a few hundred mils and see how you like them. You'll probably like them.

The car will not inhibit your ability to steer. It may brake for you when you don't want it to but you can easily turn off ACC. Same with LKAS. If you don't want to ever use LKAS then you just keep it off and never turn it on.

The safety systems work well for the most part but they're not perfect, especially when the road is not clearly marked.

So my 'bottom line' recommendation is to give them a good try. While they are not perfect in all cases, I think they are definitely worth having and using and you'll quickly adapt to using them and getting to know the 'quirks' of the system.
CommonSenseAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info.! Nothing like practical experience to address concerns, especially as regards the ACC, and especially the LKAS!

My '15 Civic Hybrid has a back up rear view camera that I've been appreciating lately, for seeing around adjacently parked cars.

The camera in the right outside mirror goes on with the right turn signal, but lately I've been turning it on (button in turn signal) while cruising the center or left lane, ...to monitor for "holes" in the flow of right lane traffic.

The following too closely brake warning light has an annoying quirk. I live in a hilly area, with sometimes short/steep ups and downs. On flat terrain I can be following closely, but not too closely, a sudden steep up-grade can raise the height of the back-end of the vehicle in front of me, causing the 'BRAKE !!!' light to come on. The first time this happened it put this driver into a mental cardiac arrest, searching for what is wrong. Currently I have the sensitivity (in the settings menu) set to minimum and an explanation available for any shocked passengers.

Fore warned is fore armed, thank you.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in