Reliability? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 3rd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reliability?

Has anyone had to bring in their 2019 Insight for non-maintenance service yet?

I'm just wondering about the reliability... and would like to see what people say.

I don't drive all that much but am closing in on 1,000 miles. So far so good and I've only been to the gas station twice for partial fill-ups. I have noticed some possible minor production defects & imperfections though... but nothing that I would say is serious/significant.
CommonSenseAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I purchased a 1994 Honda Civic VX new in 1993. Had 200,000 miles on it before I had to replace a CV joint.

The new Insight should be pretty reliable as well. Even more so than my civic as there is now a metal timing chain for the engine instead of the rubber toothed timing belt. Also I may be wrong but I don't believe there is even a rubber accessory belt, for AC, or serpentine belt in the 2019 Insight.
#222Alster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just donít change the oil early thinking that itís a new engine and thatís what you are supposed to do (or your dad told you thatís what you are supposed to do). That initial factory fill fill has polymers in it and Honda wants that in there to 15% life left.

I realize this is off topic to your thread, but I think it is worth emphasizing. Especially when one is thinking about taking it in for build complaints. Donít get the oil changed just because you are there.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
Just donít change the oil early thinking that itís a new engine and thatís what you are supposed to do (or your dad told you thatís what you are supposed to do). That initial factory fill fill has polymers in it and Honda wants that in there to 15% life left.

I realize this is off topic to your thread, but I think it is worth emphasizing. Especially when one is thinking about taking it in for build complaints. Donít get the oil changed just because you are there.
Interesting. Thanks for the warning. I don't think I will take it in for the build complaints since they are pretty minor and I doubt they could do much about them anyway... and if they did try to do something about them then I would worry that they would just make it worse trying to fix it.

Since the gas engine doesn't run full time I wonder how many miles it will be until the car tells me I need my first maintenance.

My main worry would be with the battery... I know it has a good warranty on it but if I ever have to pay to replace it then I suspect it will be expensive and I wonder if the expense will counteract all the gas savings... but that is a long way off.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSenseAl View Post
Has anyone had to bring in their 2019 Insight for non-maintenance service yet. .......I have noticed some possible minor production defects & imperfections though... but nothing that I would say is serious/significant.
I was among the first to buy a 2nd generation '10 Insight. Something like #384 off the production line. I was prepared to make "build complaints", but happily nothing came up (see 'Blue Bird' @fully). I loved the car and passed it on to my daughter. Currently my wife is driving a '14 Insight. One of the last ones off the production line, it sat all alone at the dealership for months and months with no one to buy it. So she got it, and loves it too. I do get a chance to drive it, and notice a big improvement in the software impacting EV mode, a 1.5 -2 improvement in mpg (see 'Starling' @fuelly).

But for now I'm going to delay purchase, a few months, and allow production defects and imperfections a chance to wash out of the system.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm right around 1,500 miles in the first three weeks I've owned my Insight. So far, nothing to mention. I have a slight panel misfit between the driver's door and front fender. Nothing major. I'll bring it up when I next take the car in for service. Everything else has been perfect, and I'm averaging a tad over 60 mpg (actual) over 1,500 miles. If this has the same reliability as my '99 and '00 Civics, I'm going to be a happy fella.

Mine is white, and I'm having regrets about the color. It shows everything. There's an upside to that - I keep it clean when I know it's dirty!

Regarding paint - I have a few stone chips already. I've touched them up, but my car seems to be a magnet for them. Has anyone had experience with a clear "bra" for their car? I'm interested, but it's kinda spendy. I want to make sure it's worth it and lasts. Thanks!
hasarad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSenseAl View Post
My main worry would be with the battery... I know it has a good warranty on it but if I ever have to pay to replace it then I suspect it will be expensive and I wonder if the expense will counteract all the gas savings... but that is a long way off.

With my 2006 HCH, the battery failed. The IMA code makes it not pass smog test and can no longer be registered, unless IMA battery replaced. Honda part is $3,300+ plus labor. Yes, there now are replacement batteries for less from some companies.

One difficulty of any new car, is that they rarely replace parts (like I do on my 50 year old vehicle). Today's cars normally require you replace "Systems". Systems are usually $3,000 plus. one drawback to hybrids is that they have systems for an ICE car and systems for a electric. This increases the chances for failure, just from the number of systems. I had an extended warranty on the 2006 (many miles pass expiration). I would have difficulty purchasing any new hybrid without an extended warranty that includes battery to150,000 miles.
Nobody_Important is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 03:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

The IMA battery is warranted to 150,000 miles in CARB states. (California and other states adhering to those standards)
I think the maximum Honda Care warranty you can buy is to 120,000 with a couple of different years and prices. You have a certain amount of time and miles after purchase to buy it. You do not have to buy it from the selling dealer, but there are restrictions on buying online. You have to contact one of the dealers selling close to cost and do the transaction over the phone/email. Florida was the only state that restricted such warranty buying based on their insurance laws.
Honda Care is the only extended warranty worth buying. All the others are either fly by night or make too many decisions on how they will fix things.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
The IMA battery is warranted to 150,000 miles in CARB states. (California and other states adhering to those standards)
I think the maximum Honda Care warranty you can buy is to 120,000 with a couple of different years and prices. You have a certain amount of time and miles after purchase to buy it. You do not have to buy it from the selling dealer, but there are restrictions on buying online. You have to contact one of the dealers selling close to cost and do the transaction over the phone/email. Florida was the only state that restricted such warranty buying based on their insurance laws.
Honda Care is the only extended warranty worth buying. All the others are either fly by night or make too many decisions on how they will fix things.
That's what I did. Bought an 8 year/120K mile Honda Care warranty from Rhode Island Honda Dealer | Saccucci Honda | Middletown, RI . It was only $1185 and I got 2% from my credit card.

The battery covered to 150K miles would be nice but I think I'm at 120K since I live in Texas. My "hope" is that my battery fails just before the warranty is out and I get a new one. Although I probably won't actually keep the car that long. If I sell it then I can transfer the warranty as it is transferable to a private buyer one time.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Fuel filler door not aligned

I took my Insight EX back to get the fuel filler door aligned properly. It would pop open while driving.

The dealer was giving free tacos, the day I had the door fixed
dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in