A/C Problem - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 3rd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A/C Problem

I have been using my 2019 Insight since 6 weeks now and had 2700 miles on it. This is my first Hybrid and I am loving it so far.

I drive to work 40 miles each way and I have recently observed that my Air Conditioning isn't working well. When I have the temperature set to 75 with Auto feature on, I feel like its getting hotter inside the compartment. When I have my hands on the blowers, its pushing hot air. I have tried to change the temperature to 68 and I can feel the cold air.

I took this to the dealer and the first time they said its getting colder when you have it to low settings (57 Degrees) and asked to me to bring it if the issue happen again.

So, I took it to the dealer again to replicate the issue. They had a thermometer at the blower and acknowledged that its blowing 85+ degrees when I have the temperature set at 75 (Auto feature on). By increasing the fan speed to HIGH, it actually reached to 90 degrees. After troubleshooting more and the technician on-call with Honda, they have brought in a new vehicle in stock and replicated the same issue. I was really shocked on hearing the news and I have did the same test and the thermometer is actually showing 85+ when the desired temperature is set to 75 with fan speed HIGH. There is something wrong in the design as instead of cooling the car, its making it hotter. I have tested this with out Auto (with AC on) and have the same results.

Can any few of you test this and replicate this on your insight and see if you are feeling the same? As of now, I am having my AC at 68 with Auto feature ON as anything higher than 68 is making car feel hotter. This is effecting my mileage as well.

Last edited by karthikmanne; 09-07-2018 at 12:02 PM.
karthikmanne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikmanne View Post
I have been using my 2019 Insight since 6 weeks now and had 2700 miles on it. This is my first Hybrid and I am loving it so far.
Sorry you are having this problem.

I don't have as many miles as you but I live in Texas and have definitely used the AC and haven't noticed any problems like this. I usually set it at 73 to 75 degrees on auto and it seems to work correctly but I haven't measured the air temp coming out of the vents.

I hope they can get it figured out... please keep us informed.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSenseAl View Post
Sorry you are having this problem.

I don't have as many miles as you but I live in Texas and have definitely used the AC and haven't noticed any problems like this. I usually set it at 73 to 75 degrees on auto and it seems to work correctly but I haven't measured the air temp coming out of the vents.

I hope they can get it figured out... please keep us informed.
As the other vehicle in the lot had the same issue, Dealer doesn't seem to be very helpful.
karthikmanne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikmanne View Post
As the other vehicle in the lot had the same issue, Dealer doesn't seem to be very helpful.
When I bought a 2012 Honda Fit, it had an AC issue where it would freeze up on very hot & humid days and not blow cold air out. The dealer I bought it from wasn't very helpful so I went to another nearby dealer and they removed the refrigerant and recharged the system and that seemed to have fixed it.

Before that I also had another car that had a windshield issue and one dealer wasn't very helpful with that either, but another one was and they fixed it.

Is there another Honda dealer you can go to?
Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

This sounds like a calibration or software issue, not a refrigerant level one. Auto climate controls will add heat to refrigerated air to maintain the temp requested. This idea probably makes the typical hybrid owner crazy to think about. But dry warm air is exactly what one would want to clear a windshield for instance. I have a 16 year old Honda with such a system and I would only set the temp as high as 75 if I wanted heat. The simple solution here is to just use a colder temp than you think you want. If enough folks complain, Honda will come up with a fix, but the dealer really canít fix this until Honda Corp tells them how. If they start fiddling with the valve that controls heated coolant you might end up without enough heat in the winter. Just make sure your dealer, or another if you decide to go that route, documents the complaint. Technical Service Bulletins are generated based on owner complaints.

Also I should note: from my experience with these systems, if the sensors that reads outside temp has been in the cold or extreme heat, it will signal the system to catch up. But really, you may get A/C at home with a 75 degree setting in the summer, but in a car that is going to get you heat.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in