Recall: Backup Camera - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 3rd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Recall: Backup Camera

Bam!

Honda issues major recall due to possible backup camera issues

First recall. Will be calling the dealer in a bit to schedule an appointment. It doesn't sound like it will take much time to complete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hasarad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
Bam!

Honda issues major recall due to possible backup camera issues

First recall. Will be calling the dealer in a bit to schedule an appointment. It doesn't sound like it will take much time to complete.
Beat me to posting this. I was going to post this link:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/364059/ho...00k-cars-in-us

I wonder if they can update some of the cars through WiFi? Would be nice if so. It's cool that Teslas can get major upgrades over the air but also scary as to how much power they can have over your car without you doing anything or wanting anything.

As for this recall, I wonder what the issue is exactly... like the view doesn't display or the guide lines are wrong or image is distorted in a dangerous way or what..... I haven't noticed any problems with my rear-view camera but that doesn't mean that it's always given me a proper image.

Last edited by CommonSenseAl; 09-28-2018 at 03:01 PM.
CommonSenseAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just got my car Thursday -- hopefully they fixed it before I took ownership. I guess I'll find out!
shragae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragae View Post
Just got my car Thursday -- hopefully they fixed it before I took ownership. I guess I'll find out!
I would assume you can do an easy online check with the VIN number to see if any recalls are still open on your vehicle.

A check on mine shows this recall.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Checked the VIN -- no recalls.
shragae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Despite that the car has the ability to receive updates over WiFi, it appears this one had to be done at the dealer. Could be related to it being an official recall or because it is a firmware update instead of a normal software update.
OON7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Angry Dealer Messed up My Config after Backup Camera Recall Update!

I just got back from the recall update of the software for my backup camera.

Apparently the update set the entire main panel back to default! Historical mileage, screen configuration, bluetooth connections and radio presets are GONE. I have a call into the manager. I was told there would be no change to the configuration when I dropped the car off - this was not the case. I now need to spend the next hour setting everything back.

Be aware of this when you take your car in as the service adviser, who misled me, checked with the shop foreman (after the fact) and confirmed they do not back anything up, so there's no way to get it back. I dread the thought that this can happen whenever there is a software update.

Yes, even my Rick and Morty clock face needs to be re-uploaded!

Yep, I'm pissed. Do you think I'm overreacting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hasarad; 10-04-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

I read the dealer instructions and it specifically states that they are supposed to take note of all preferences and set them back up after it is complete.

While they can't pair your phone or put your background back, they should have done the rest and told you beforehand.

Did it reset the trip mileage as well? I'm guessing it did, which stinks as my trip b is the lifetime mpg on the car.
OON7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
I just got back from the recall update of the software for my backup camera.

Apparently the update set the entire main panel back to default! Historical mileage, screen configuration, bluetooth connections and radio presets are GONE. I have a call into the manager. I was told there would be no change to the configuration when I dropped the car off - this was not the case. I now need to spend the next hour setting everything back.

Be aware of this when you take your car in as the service adviser, who misled me, checked with the shop foreman (after the fact) and confirmed they do not back anything up, so there's no way to get it back. I dread the thought that this can happen whenever there is a software update.

Yes, even my Rick and Morty clock face needs to be re-uploaded!

Yep, I'm pissed. Do you think I'm overreacting?
Wow... that sucks! Maybe they will improve the process for people who get it done later. I'm in no rush to get the update so I can wait.

I'd be a bit pissed too especially if I was lead to believe nothing would be lost.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh, and the eco-score screen on the dash after shutdown is reset as well! All that hard work...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
backup, camera, insight, recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in