Engine resonance??? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 3rd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Engine resonance???

Hi everybody. New poster here. I’ve had my ‘19 Insight EX for a few months now, already at 14k miles (!!). Absolutely love it and it’s my second I-MMD powered vehicle and 21st Honda. Anyway that doesn’t matter. What does matter is that I’m experiencing an engine resonance issue and was wondering if anyone else is as well. Around 72mph it’s very loud with the engine in direct drive mode. I also notice it when accelerating sometimes (mostly at the second bar after the blue region).

It’s an exhaust like resonance and it’s driving me nuts. Almost sounds like an aftermarket exhaust. Had Honda check it out - they say it’s fine. I’m not convinced. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Hondadude1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

What you may be hearing is what Honda calls "Active Sound Control".
According to an online review, this system GENERATES engine sounds when you push the accelerator past the resistance at about 3/4 of the distance to the floorboard. It will also create sounds when the engine is in direct drive to the wheels at high speeds. The reviewer called it stupid, and in need of removal at the next model refresh. I did a test drive in an EX 2 weeks ago, found these sounds (during acceleration) silly and distracting, in an otherwise VERY quiet car.

Below are excerpts from Honda's technical Press Kit on this:
"Insight drivers can also choose ECON or SPORT modes. ECON alters throttle inputs to help optimize fuel efficiency. SPORT provides more aggressive throttle inputs while drawing more on the battery for a more energetic acceleration feel. Additionally, SPORT alters the Active Sound Control (ASC) for a more aggressive engine note."

"Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC) 
Key contributors to Insight's quiet, refined interior are Active Noise Control (ANC) and Active Sound Control (ASC). The two systems are comprised of dual overhead microphones, an ANC/ASC electronic processor, and the audio system's speakers. ASC/ANC operates whenever Insight is running, even if the audio system is turned off.
ANC is designed to reduce low frequency sound in the cabin caused mainly by the roughness of the road surface. The overhead microphones pick up sound waves and send them to the ANC/ASC processor, which then creates and sends a precisely timed "reverse phase" audio signal to a special amplifier. In turn, the amplifier drives the speakers to cancel the original noise signal.

"ASC is a related technology designed to improve the engine sound quality by making the sound pressure level more linear as the engine revs increase. Typically, engine noise doesn't increase in a linear way with rising revs; instead there can be many resonances that create peaks and valleys in the sound pressure level and an uneven sound. From idle to redline, ASC helps smooth out the engine sound by reforming the sound signal as needed and sending it to the speakers. In SPORT mode, ASC provides Insight with a more dynamic engine sound profile.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

if its computer trickery perhaps a software update can cure it?

are you listening honda?

2011 Insight LX - 78k miles
jcbesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in