Aftermarket Radio - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 3rd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aftermarket Radio

Hello,

2019 Honda Insight LX owner here, and the base model's radio is pretty basic.

I would like to replace it with an Android head unit, but I'm not sure if its 1-din or 2-din, or if it would work with backup camera, steering wheel controls, etc.

Has anyone done this? What was your experience like, and is it something I can do myself?

Thanks
calinsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm a G1 guy and I can't answer any G3 questions. I have, however, installed an EONON android unit in my Miata. Apparently the Chinese "double din" is close, but not exactly the same size as a real double din. I had to do a bit of surgery on the Metra install kit to get it to fit my dash. Measure this carefully!

Also I'm not overjoyed with the EONON unit for several reasons. I think the equivalent Pumpkin unit would be better.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've done only minor changes to my system but since it's such a new car you might want to hold off until more information comes out about how much of the cars systems are integrated with the current head unit.
Verdier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bump.. still looking around, would appreciate any suggestions!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I haven't seen any aftermarket unit replacements for this specific unit since it's a different one from the EX/Limited trim.

I do know that the Insight's head unit (well the whole interior) was designed by focus groups, which might change intricacies on how it's mounted compared to the civic or any other Honda that only uses capacitive buttons, so you might have to wait longer for any single or double DIN kit that specific fits the car.

Maybe someone has a manual lying around that they want to share?
vieravy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinsight View Post
Bump.. still looking around, would appreciate any suggestions!
My suggestion is go to a Honda dealer parts department and see if they can show you a picture of the back of the head unit or verify there is an actual amp. Undoubtedly you'll be dealing with speaker outputs so go to the home page of "audio control" and they sell several devices that can take these outputs and change them to line level outputs. From here you can connect to your own amps and DSPs and build up the system from there. You can also buy audio control stuff at best buy.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Found a video of a guy removing the radio!

Old 02-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

This looks like an ex model since the steering wheel didn't have leather and the vents didn't have silver edging. I was at Honda today and talked to the parts department to see if I could learn a little more about the radio connections. It seems only the touring lists a separate part number for an amp and I was able to get pictures of that amp at one point. Now the ex has the same head unit but lists no amp and the video didn't show well if the speakers came out of that head unit or if a line connects with another breakout box of some type (maybe the DNC) with lines out to the speakers. The lx has a different head unit and the pictures at the dealer parts area were Very vague so I couldn't see if the speakers came out of it directly. I'm thinking they probably are routed through another box like the ex might be. Either way the only listing for a proper amp with speaker outputs for the insight we could find was the touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in