Some annoyances with my 2019 Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 3rd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 3rd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some annoyances with my 2019 Insight

So, overall I love my 2019 Insight. There have just been a few annoyances that I can’t ignore and that have been over sights by Honda. The fact that there is a digital speedometer for km/h but not for mph to me is just really weird. On the LX and EX versions of the vehicle you cant have the front reading lights come on when you open the doors. I guess Honda just forgot to put a light switch in. The fact that when you turn on your left blinker the Lane Watch will cancel out anything else you are doing like using hey siri or something like that. I know that it is cold here in Kansas but I have been trying to drive like your average grandma and I can’t seem to do any better than 40mpg and that starting to get to me. I know that it can just be because im in the break in period and im hoping that it gets better. I also don’t like that you cant set and forget the regenerative braking. I don’t know if anyone has these same feelings. Like I said overall I love the car, there are just a few things that I don’t understand.

Last edited by CmadnessV; 01-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.
CmadnessV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmadnessV View Post
I know that it is cold here in Kansas but I have been trying to drive like your average grandma and I canít seem to do any better than 40mpg and that starting to get to me. I know that it can just be because im in the break in period and im hoping that it gets better. I donít know if anyone has these same feelings. Like I said overall I love the car, there are just a few things that I donít understand.
I don't own a G3 so will just be a bit general. Fuel economy is always bad in winter conditions. First, it takes a while for the car to get warmed up, and that costs mpg. In addition rolling resistance is higher, and air is dense. You will do better come warmer weather and after car is broken in. But the car is heavy and has large frontal area so don't expect to get G1 like mpg.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would just like to be somewhere near what they are saying the mpg is.
CmadnessV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmadnessV View Post
I would just like to be somewhere near what they are saying the mpg is.
I don't know what temperatures are used for those DOT mileage figures. I might be like ambient room temperatures, around 20C. Cold weather can make a huge difference.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

What @jime said.

If Lanewatch is an annoyance, you can turn it off in vehicle settings and just use the button on the end of the turn signal stalk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hasarad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree on the Regen paddle setting. It should remember the last setting.

I too would like a digital speedometer. I'm surprised it's not made available.

Map lights coming on? Sure, and how about LED interior lights?

Lane watch I can turn off on the stalk. Yes, I like it for lane changing, but want to see my NAV on intersection turns.

It's cold here, and I too was struggling to get 50 MPG...until I changed to BP gas, then I finally broke that barrier at 53+ MPG. Gas quality matters.

The one big thing I'm having issues with is battery charging. I wondered why some people can get 100% charge when I was only maintaining maybe a little over 50%. Lower in most cases. If it is to truly be fuel efficient, I need the battery reserve to top off for times when there is a need for more power. Well I found a way to get it to 100% while parked. Keep restarting the car until the battery is full. But why should I have to "trick" it to charge to full?

And why kick it out of EV Mode never to return unless I keep hitting the EV button? I would like it to charge to full and go back into EV mode without me having to "poke it" over and over again.

I hope some of these issues can be updated with firmware. Regen paddle settings and battery charge to 100% would go a long way to helping out MPG.

Phil

Last edited by PHILBERT; 01-20-2019 at 05:20 PM.
PHILBERT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

For those on a quest to reach 100% battery, don't. 100% is as bad as 0%. If the battery is fully charged, there is no place to store further energy. If you stop or have a long downhill, all of that energy is lost! In a perfect world, you want to keep charge somewhere in the middle. You'll then have reserve when you need it along with a place to store incoming energy. Normal/ECO mode kicks EV out/in automatically at/above about four bars (depending on the environment) while sport mode favors a higher reserve (for better acceleration). Trust Honda's algorithms, don't drive like a bat-out-of-hell and anticipate everything. 100% battery is not the key to higher mpg - how you drive is the answer. If you are fiddling to charge your battery while parked, you're getting 0 mpg while doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
For those on a quest to reach 100% battery, don't. 100% is as bad as 0%. If the battery is fully charged, there is no place to store further energy. If you stop or have a long downhill, all of that energy is lost! In a perfect world, you want to keep charge somewhere in the middle. You'll then have reserve when you need it along with a place to store incoming energy. Normal/ECO mode kicks EV out/in automatically at/above about four bars (depending on the environment) while sport mode favors a higher reserve (for better acceleration). Trust Honda's algorithms, don't drive like a bat-out-of-hell and anticipate everything. 100% battery is not the key to higher mpg - how you drive is the answer. If you are fiddling to charge your battery while parked, you're getting 0 mpg while doing it.
Sorry, not true. There is nothing wrong with 100% charge. We are not talking about ABOVE 100%. And if you have the reserve built up, you use that for thrust and electric drive. Short cycling batteries is bad for batteries. That is a well known fact. And no one said anything about driving like "a bat-out-of-hell".

Phil
Old 01-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILBERT View Post
Sorry, not true. There is nothing wrong with 100% charge. We are not talking about ABOVE 100%. And if you have the reserve built up, you use that for thrust and electric drive. Short cycling batteries is bad for batteries. That is a well known fact. And no one said anything about driving like "a bat-out-of-hell".

Phil
My post was a general post - not directed at anyone in particular. I was not suggesting you were driving like a BOOH. Just a general statement that driving style has more to do with better MPG than anything.

As for short charge, the Insight's EV batteries are lithium ion. Short charging is not an issue as it used to be for past EVs (remember GM's EV1 full-electric that used lead-acid batteries?)
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._battery_table

My statement about needing capacity for reserve stands. If at the top of a hill with topped-up battery, all the kinetic energy of the descent cannot be stored, and the ICE must take up the energy from the electric engines via engine braking (which is the cause of the engine whine on a downhill with topped battery or which also occurs when the maximum charge rate is exceeded).

A full battery doesn't buy much - maybe a mile of driving. If you have 100% battery, it's not a bad thing, just not something one should go out of their way to get if it costs mpg to do so.

Last edited by hasarad; 01-22-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
My post was a general post - not directed at anyone in particular. I was not suggesting you were driving like a BOOH. Just a general statement that driving style has more to do with better MPG than anything.

As for short charge, the Insight's EV batteries are lithium ion. Short charging is not an issue as it used to be for past EVs (remember GM's EV1 full-electric that used lead-acid batteries?)
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._battery_table

My statement about needing capacity for reserve stands. If at the top of a hill with topped-up battery, all the kinetic energy of the descent cannot be stored, and the ICE must take up the energy from the electric engines via engine braking (which is the cause of the engine whine on a downhill with topped battery or which also occurs when the maximum charge rate is exceeded).

A full battery doesn't buy much - maybe a mile of driving. If you have 100% battery, it's not a bad thing, just not something one should go out of their way to get if it costs mpg to do so.
No problem. I do work with LiIon batteries and conditioners at my place of employment. I also work with lead acid and high capacity gel cell power plants for communications. I'm fairly familiar with charging practices.

LiIon batteries DO perform better with full charge/discharge cycles. The chargers we use to condition/re-condition batteries do full cycles to maintain batteries to the fullest life. The problems we see with customer batteries failing, or not meeting life expectations is due to short cycling the charge/discharge. These are expensive high quality batteries, so the chargers do everything possible to maximize life...if you let them do what they are designed to do. The cheap batteries used as cell phone chargers are a different chemistry, and don't like to be held at full charge. I doubt these were used for the 10 year life that these were warrantied for. Internet "experts" are not what I use for engineering. I use the manufactures specifications and specially designed chargers. Believe me, you don not want to short cycle batteries.

Well it will be fun to conduct some controlled experiments on what gets the best MPG. I intend to try everything once the roads clear up. Already thinking of a couple of test courses for the task. Not always easy to do in dense traffic, so it might have to be a slow weekend Sunday morning to get good conditions around here. The idea is to keep it below the power range as much as possible, and see how all these different modes effect MPG. EV only mode is one I want to try the most after seeing someone run that for miles at highway speeds from a full charge. Let the data collection begin!

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in