I had a stroke... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2017, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I had a stroke...

I started with the punchline, since I can only type with my left hand right now. I am so not left handed.

Last week I had an episode. I suddenly lost my sense of balance while at WalMart. I decided to get something to drink, and couldn't walk a straight line. When I checked out, my speech was slurred. I was concerned, but I didn't have any of the classic signs of stroke, and the issues passed after I ate lunch. I felt fine, and went on with my day. The next day, i felt great, and put a couple hundred miles on the Insight. That night, I felt generally weak, and a bit nauseous. Still, the weakness wasn't on one side, and I felt better once I got home. I had trouble getting to sleep, but woke up early as usual feeling great.

About 11AM, I was tired from the lack of sleep the night before. I took a nap, and woke up before 1PM. Felt fine, ready to finish the day, just needed to pee. Just one problem. I couldn't sit up. The first couple of times, it was funny. Then I realized my right side was very weak. I got up, went to the bathroom, and figured I'd wait for it to pass. It then occurred to me that I was teetering on the edge. I could still speak, but slowly. If I got much weaker, I wouldn't get out the door. I got in the car and drove to the nearest hospital.

When you walk into the ER and tell them you're having a stroke, you get right to the front of the line. I got poked, prodded, and EKG'd. Repeated a bunch of words, squeezed fingers, pushed and pulled with hands and feet. They did a CT scan, then I saw the DR for the verdict. It's not a stroke, he said. Go home and rest, take an aspirin a day, take a statin, everything will be fine.

Everything wasn't fine. I went to the grocery store, and it seemed that every time I looked at my watch, another hour had passed. Felt like 5 minutes. People were staring at me. I kept getting weaker, so I went home, like the DR told me, and rested. It got worse. Much worse.

The next morning, I could barely use my right hand and leg. I had to go back to town to pick up my prescriptions, and ended up taking an ambulance from WalMart to the hospital. I requested to be taken to a different hospital, but ended up in the same ER. Different DR, more tests, same prognosis, no stroke. Go home and rest, in a couple of days you'll be fine. I went home.

By that night, I couldn't move anything on my right side. Half my body was paralyzed. I rested.

As it turns out, it was a stroke. Big surprise. Like I tell people, when a 51 year old man drives himself to a hospital, walks voluntarily into the ER and tells you he's having a stroke, TAKE HIM FREAKING SERIOUSLY! Guys won't do something like that on a whim.

I can now move my foot and fingers some, but that's a very long way from usefulness. I never lost my ability to speak, but my speech is slower and somewhat difficult. There's no numbness. Swallowing is odd... food is easy, but water is tricky.

I'll work my *** off to get my right side back. I'm glad my Insight didn't have a 5 speed during this, but that's still what I want in the future. Hopefully, my future will agree.
neonsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 04:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Daayyhhhmmm,
Glad your still with us.
Randall

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
highwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Heal up! Sorry to hear about the medical stuff. Never a good thing.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

A crooked smile is one of the ways they determine a stroke. Glad you're still around. Speedy recovery.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

+1^ Indeed, mend well. Our thoughts are with you. Thanks for indicating the incipient signs of the episode and all the best to you in a speedy recovery.
AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow. Actually in a way you're a lucky guy. It could have been SO much worse. You did all of the right things. The ER let you down. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. Please keep us posted.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

++1 & more. Good to see you're still able to get around.

Thanks for the very accurate details of your symptoms, extremely valuable info.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in