G1 $$$ Auto Insurance Rates inTN - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default G1 $$$ Auto Insurance Rates inTN

Why are State Farm rates for a new policy with all discounts applied so high?
Bodily Injury / Property Damage; 250/500/100 $183
Medical Payments$5,000; $10
Comprehensive; $45
Collision w $250 deductible; $99
Uninsured Motorist; $48
$387 for 6 months or $66/ month. 10,000 miles per year for a 50+ year old male.
Dropping collision coverage saves less than $20/month
Should G1 be insured by another company? GEICO? Anyone with a suggestion?

My Forum search results were from over 10 years old.
176k miles, 64.8 LMPG, April 2017, Bought from Original Owner
232k miles 64.8 LMPG as of May 2019
AP1ZE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

It's an all aluminum car with extremely low value that is almost certain to be totaled in even a minor scrape. It represents a financial and administrative burden - A fight with the owner about the value of a zero value 13 year old vehicle - the hassle of the buyback the owner will likely want to do, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, you could get rid of that $99 collision coverage. It isn't cost effective for a car that the insurance co. is going to try to total for $2000-2500. If you have a good driving record, the odds are on your side to drop that. I have carried collision on one car in my entire adult life, and I'm well ahead of the game. The uninsured motorist portion is rather high, but I suppose it is manditory - there are lots of uninsured motorists in TN.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Wait how is $66 a month expensive?

But yeah get rid of collision, you really only need liability and uninsured motorist. Medical and comprehensive, those are cheap, so why not keep them?

IDK, when I lived in Canada I paid $92/month for mine, and that was without comprehensive or collision.

Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Thanks Everyone for Your Comments

Your responses are greatly appreciated. I will follow your recommendations and drop collision coverage. So, my rates are considered normal for a G1. It costs more to insure than a normal car. But as another member in a different post said; Driving a G1 is similar to playing a video game by trying to better your MPG and keeping the IMA alive. And is a lot more fun.
AP1ZE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in