Renewable Energy - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Renewable Energy

I've moved discussion here to avoid to much of it as being off topic in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-WA View Post
Hey, I'm not saying RE isn't good -- heck, I've got quite a bit of it (as much as is practical).
Sorry, I did not intend to give that impression.
I was just pointing out some things that occurred to me ... including viable methods I see of doing something (energy storage) that you keep claiming 'until' as if it can't be done now.

Quote:
I'm grid-tied on my system, because the power company can provide 100% of my power when I need it. If I were off-grid, even if I had batteries, I'd still have to have a generator that could provide 100% of my peak needs.
Bold = 'have to' , No.

A generator is nothing more than a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy ... a rechargeable battery does the same type of thing ... The size of the fuel tank for the generator limits it's total electrical energy output just like the size of a battery bank limits it's.

A generator is a viable option / alternative ... but it is far from being required , or the only way to achieve that kind of energy storage.

Quote:
Until there is a way to store the power, RE will only be a supplement. I guess you are saying that the EV battery would provide storage, but that is a pretty piddling amount compared to what is consumed. Also, I'm going to need my car in the morning, right after the buffer electricity has been drained from it.
Not quiet what I was getting at.

It doesn't have to be a Vehicle to Grid type of system... that was just an example that fit in well with this particular thread.

There already is and has been for many years a way to store energy from RE sources.
Even cycled through a Utility Grid Scale Sized Battery pack RE is still far more energy efficient than any fossil fuel path. Some utility Grids have already bought battery systems for quick response back up of 2.5MW or more ... That's more power than 100 Houses could use combined even when pulling 120VAC and 200Amps.

Thermal Storage is another option for solar thermal based systems.

The claim you keep repeating , that I am disagreeing with is the 'until there is a way to store' ... that's like saying until there is a way to fly ... or until there is a way to get to the moon ... or until there is a way to use radio waves to communicate... ... the 'until' part is just wrong... there already are ways ... a multitude of different methods each able to do that storage ... and all have been around for many years... and even with the losses of using that storage the RE is still far more energy efficient path than any fossil fuel path.

Now I can understand that energy efficiency is not always the deciding factor ... there is more to it ... but for energy efficiency RE is the clear winner (even with storage losses).
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Sorry, not that important to me. Theoretically there are storage methods. Practically, there are not.
"Sleekit" Red 2000 MT, MIMA #38, GCO1 charger/discharger, OBDIIC&C, Group 22NF deep cycle 12v, Hybrid ReVolt TPS Mod, Rostra Cruise Control w/ lean burn mod (in testing), RE92'[email protected] I try to drive the speed limit
Silver 2005 Jeep CRD Limited (diesel)
Solar energy-plus home (makes more power than we use)
TX-WA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Sorry, not that important to me. Theoretically there are storage methods. Practically, there are not.
'Theoretically' ???

I don't get it.???

This isn't just theory ... these are real world devices that have been in use for energy storage for years.
  • Batteries are not theoretical
  • The over 2.5MW of Grid power from battery storage systems are not theoretical
  • The thermal solar storage systems are not theoretical
  • The hydroelectric storage of water dams is not just theoretical
  • There are hundreds of homes functioning off grid are not theoretical.
  • ... these are real world things that have been in practical use for years.

I don't see how you can see these things and just brush them off as 'theoretical' as if they don't exist , or are have not been in practical use for years?

So I'm confused??
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
'Theoretically' ???

I don't get it.???

Sorry, I didn't mean to be flip about it. Honestly, I had just typed a long response, then managed to delete it. I was upset with myself and didn't want to type it all over again.

This isn't just theory ... these are real world devices that have been in use for energy storage for years.
  • Batteries are not theoretical

Obviously, on a small scale, very reasonable. For my system, I'd need $8000 in batteries to be able to make it for a day or two with no sun. Unfortunately I sometimes go for a couple of weeks without enough sun to meet our needs. So that's $50,000 or so in batteries. Multiply that by how many households in the US? Better get those lead mines cranking up.

• The over 2.5MW of Grid power from battery storage systems are not theoretical

How much does one cost? How many do we need to buffer the 25,000 TWh of power we use each year?

• The thermal solar storage systems are not theoretical

Sorry, I live in Texas. We ARE thermal solar storage. Honestly, I don't know anything about this.

• The hydroelectric storage of water dams is not just theoretical

Seriously? Water is at such a premium in most places, they'd never let any out of a dam. And don't get me started on the irreparable damage that has been done to the environment by reservoirs. Washington State is realizing the problem, and has no solution that I know of.

• There are hundreds of homes functioning off grid are not theoretical.

Technically, there are millions of homes worldwide off the grid. I don't want to live like 99% of them. Even the ones in this country that are off the grid voluntarily, burn stuff to stay warm and/or have a generator. Certainly there are places where it is possible to live off grid, and people do it because they are willing to make the compromises necessary to do so. Those places will get very crowded if we all move there.

I seriously doubt there are hundreds of homes with what the average American would consider a reasonable level of creature comforts that subsist 100% on RE, with no gas and no wood burned.

• ... these are real world things that have been in practical use for years.

I don't see how you can see these things and just brush them off as 'theoretical' as if they don't exist , or are have not been in practical use for years?

So I'm confused??
Thanks for the list of what you think is reasonable. I don't consider any of them reasonable. (except thermal solar storage, which I don't know about -- but I'll be glad to lend you a cup of heat any time you need some).
"Sleekit" Red 2000 MT, MIMA #38, GCO1 charger/discharger, OBDIIC&C, Group 22NF deep cycle 12v, Hybrid ReVolt TPS Mod, Rostra Cruise Control w/ lean burn mod (in testing), RE92'[email protected] I try to drive the speed limit
Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Interesting conversation. Ive toyed with the idea of moving/transferring to Alaska and been watching those tv shows about life out there. Seems there is no grid, running water or sewer. For power it seems most people use a hodge podge of solar, battery and generator for energy needs. Then another fuel for heat that may serve a double purpose for the generator.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Thanks for the list of what you think is reasonable. I don't consider any of them reasonable. (except thermal solar storage, which I don't know about -- but I'll be glad to lend you a cup of heat any time you need some).
Please define the criteria you use to determine what is or is not 'reasonable' ???

- - - - - - -

I do not think it is accurate to try and interchangeably use such significantly different terms as:
Theoretically , Practical , Reasonable, etc.

#1> I was previously responding to your claim about RE storage only being 'theoretical' ... it isn't 'theoretical'... it only takes one time for it have ever been done to no longer be theoretical... it wouldn't be a theory any more once it has been demonstrated even just once.

For Example:
Someone could argue against manned travel to the moon on a variety of grounds. But it being theoretical is not one of them anymore. If someone tried to claim that travel to the moon was theoretical. They would be incorrect.

#2> Separate from 'theoretical' ... it is a different discussion about weather or not there are any 'practical' methods of RE storage... there are many examples of practical RE storage ... I refereed to a few previously.

#3> Separate from either 1 or 2 above would be the different discussion about weather there are any 'reasonable' RE storage options ... I have not yet gone much into this particular type of discussion yet ... I did not yet list what I think is 'reasonable' ... but the first most important thing that is required to do ... is clearly define what is the criteria for determining if a RE storage option is 'reasonable' or not... that's a bit more subjective than just crunching numbers on net energy efficiency... You'll have to tell me what your standard / criteria is for 'reasonable'.

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to be flip about it. Honestly, I had just typed a long response, then managed to delete it. I was upset with myself and didn't want to type it all over again.
No problem at all ... I was just confused.

Quote:
Obviously, on a small scale, very reasonable. For my system, I'd need $8000 in batteries to be able to make it for a day or two with no sun. Unfortunately I sometimes go for a couple of weeks without enough sun to meet our needs. So that's $50,000 or so in batteries. Multiply that by how many households in the US? Better get those lead mines cranking up.
I would recommend against Lead based batteries for utility scale RE storage.
There are far net better options available.

Rome wasn't built in a day. It also took decades to build the US utility grid. It was enormously expensive to build. I see no good reason to expect a free lunch. If you want to improve something, you have to initial make an investment in it. It then takes time for that investment to 'pay for itself' ... Same is true for any investment , I see no reason not to apply the same kind of thing to utility grid upgrades... RE being one type of upgrade ... and storage also being a type of utility grid upgrade.

The correlation you describe for scaling up is not accurate. There are economies of scale that make it cheaper. Grid low usage levels actually line up far better with RE low levels than the peaks you inferred. The fossil fuel grid of today could not do what you describe either. The US grid does not have the total capacity that would be needed to handle if everyone in the US simultaneously cranked up to their peak loads.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan
The over 2.5MW of Grid power from battery storage systems are not theoretical
How much does one cost? How many do we need to buffer the 25,000 TWh of power we use each year?
It does not matter how much they cost for the context of that statement... their very existence means it is not theoretical to be able to store RE.

That businesses and utility grids have looked at the numbers and voluntarily bought battery based storage systems like that ... is evidence they can also be both practical and cost effective.

The current fossil fuel based utility grid does not keep on hand fossil fuel energy in storage ready for an entire year ... I don't see any good reason to require on hand energy storage for an entire year... we don't have entire year long periods of not having RE production.

FYI ... Total Electrical energy consumption in the US in 2012 was only about ~4,100 TWh .. although still very large ... not 25,000 TWh.... Link

Quote:
Quote:
The thermal solar storage systems are not theoretical
Sorry, I live in Texas. We ARE thermal solar storage. Honestly, I don't know anything about this.
There are a variety of means of thermal solar storage... Link

Basically you store in some type of insulated way the heat energy you collected from the sun during the day. Then you use that storage as needed later ... even if that latter point is at night when the sky is dark.

#A> Passive Solar Style design of the house itself ... one piece of those kinds of designs is the use of storing solar energy in a thermal based system.

that thermal based system can be a insulated hot water tank for hot water or house heat ... or thermal mass of floors , walls , etc.

The short version is that the sun light heats some object during the day ... then you get that thermal storage back later when it is cooler.

#B> The solar thermal storage systems used by solar heat based power plants.
These proven in the 1980's allow solar heat based power plants to provide electrical power production day or night as needed by the utility grid. 3 to 5 hours of night time operation from solar thermal energy storage is old news.

#C> It isn't just about short term storage either ... There are even proven and functional seasonal solar thermal energy storage systems ... storing solar thermal energy for long periods of time.

Quote:
Quote:
The hydroelectric storage of water dams is not just theoretical
Seriously? Water is at such a premium in most places, they'd never let any out of a dam. And don't get me started on the irreparable damage that has been done to the environment by reservoirs. Washington State is realizing the problem, and has no solution that I know of.
The existence of even 1 hydroelectric dam is proof enough to show that it is not 'theoretical' which was the context of that statement.

I did not claim hydro-electric was viable everywhere. Different places have different RE profiles. Some places are best to use solar, some are best to use wind, some are best to use hydro, some are best to geo... RE includes many different options.

Ecological damage is a viable reason not to want to do hydro-electric ... but it is also a viable reason to not do coal power plants ... or to have exon valdiez oil spills... that ecological damage type of discussion is a very different discussion from if hydro-electric RE storage exists today and have for years or not ... the various types of RE do have ecological cons ... but so do the fossil fuel alternatives... it becomes a debate of the lesser of evils... and on the whole ... I think RE is the overall net cleaner path.

Quote:
Quote:
There are hundreds of homes functioning off grid are not theoretical.
Technically, there are millions of homes worldwide off the grid. I don't want to live like 99% of them. Even the ones in this country that are off the grid voluntarily, burn stuff to stay warm and/or have a generator. Certainly there are places where it is possible to live off grid, and people do it because they are willing to make the compromises necessary to do so. Those places will get very crowded if we all move there.

I seriously doubt there are hundreds of homes with what the average American would consider a reasonable level of creature comforts that subsist 100% on RE, with no gas and no wood burned.
Wood is a type of RE .. it's a bio-fuel.
I see no good reason to exclude viable types of RE from a discussion about RE options.

Although given the very low energy efficiency of the trees and such ... the same surface area harnessing solar energy could outproduce the wood over the same time period easily using other means... bio-fuels are a low efficiency RE path ... although still far more energy efficient than any fossil fuel path.

I have no doubt at all that there are hundreds of homes 100% on RE ... even with what the average American would consider a reasonable level of creature comforts ... I'll even take it up a notch above average American and go average person in the U.S.

Last edited by IamIan; 03-05-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Interesting conversation. Ive toyed with the idea of moving/transferring to Alaska and been watching those tv shows about life out there. Seems there is no grid, running water or sewer. For power it seems most people use a hodge podge of solar, battery and generator for energy needs. Then another fuel for heat that may serve a double purpose for the generator.
I myself am not personally attracted to 'wilderness' style living.

I like modern conveniences ... restaurants , grocery stores , hospitals, etc.

Although I also don't want to live in a major city either.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

All the more reason I would diversify my sources of power, storage, heat, energy, etc. This way if one fails, I get several days of darkness, fuel delivery is late, etc I can still function.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
Please define the criteria you use to determine what is or is not 'reasonable' ???

- - - - - - -
Perhaps I was misread to start with.

The discussion was whether RE is, by itself, a viable global solution to provide energy.

My statement was that, until storage solutions for the produced power are available, RE is a supplement, not a solution in and of itself.

You felt that storage solutions ARE available. I felt that those solutions are theoretical as a global storage solution for energy, but are not practical. Obviously I don't think batteries or dams are theoretical -- they are theoretical solutions to the problem being discussed.

I do consider hydroelectric power as a viable option. I do consider it a practical option. I do not consider it a reasonable option because the environmental impact of scaling it up to provide power for every household would be unacceptable.

Burning wood is RE, technically, and practical and viable on a small scale. 300 million people burning wood to cook their food and heat their homes? Devastatingly not reasonable for so many reasons.

Batteries are great for a few people, but any current rechargeable battery technology has questionable environmental impact at the current scale, much less at a global scale required to service the entire electrical needs of 8 billion people.

There is probably a technology using CO2 and dirt to store power, but that would be --um-- not ready for prime time.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Perhaps I was misread to start with.

The discussion was whether RE is, by itself, a viable global solution to provide energy.

My statement was that, until storage solutions for the produced power are available, RE is a supplement, not a solution in and of itself.

You felt that storage solutions ARE available. I felt that those solutions are theoretical as a global storage solution for energy, but are not practical.
Thanks for clarification.

Yes I had a different interpretation... I had mis-read or misunderstood.

Sense this discussion had started as a off shoot / response to using RE to charge a Tesla ... I was under the impression the scope was about electrical ( not all types of energy ).

- - - - - - -

That correction having been accounted for.

I'll agree global scale energy storage is still theoretical sense we have not built 'viable' energy storage on that scale even for the current fossil fuel system... Theoretical because 'in theory' we could ... but we haven't... so it's true for both RE or fossil fuels ... not just RE.

The closest thing I know of to that kind of large scale energy storage is the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve ... which contains enough for the US to go for about 1 month... which given the rate of US oil based energy consumption is an enormous energy storage system... but even that is no where near what would be needed for a global system.

- - - - - - - - -

Quote:
On a truly global scale ... the only viable energy source is RE ... specifically solar.

RE kicks ***.

Imagine for a minute if the sun turned off ... no RE (solar) to heat the planet ... no RE (solar) to provide light for plants ... no RE (solar) to light the homes, cities, etc... fossil fuels are not able to fill the gap that would be created if we took the % of RE we depend on and use out of the equation.

The Sun inputs to the planet 3,850,000 exajoules of energy per year ... Let's take a look at the massive scale of that for just a moment.

Say we start off take out the reflection off the atmosphere and absorbed by the atmosphere ... just the amount that reaches the surface of the planet ... that amount is still in 1 year the sun giving about twice the total sum of all fossil fuels on the entire planet dig up all the coal, all the oil, all the natural gas, and all the mined uranium ... combine all of it and you won't get 1/2 of what the sun gives us on a global basis each and every year in solar RE... and will for over 5 billion more years.. before entering the 'Red Giant' Phase.

The entire global planet is already more than 99.99% Solar powered (and dependent on it) even with all the fossil fuels currently in use.

There is no energy source available to us anywhere in this entire solar system that comes any where even remotely close to being able to compete with the sun.... RE Juggernaut doesn't even notice the tiny smaller than bacteria like spec that Fossil fuels are.

- - - - - - - - -

Now we could also take a step back and look at trying to increase that ~99.99% solar RE even higher than it already is ... We could ask about what we have available to reduce comparatively insignificant tiny % of global fossil fuel energy we current supplement our ~99.99% Solar RE with.

And it turns out we have lots of options.

1st I would like to point out there is absolutely no need for all of it to be any one type of RE ... it would be far better to use the best combination of what RE is available ... this means we aren't looking for 100% home heat from wood ... and we are not looking for 0% home heat from wood ... use the right tool for the job ... sometimes in some places that will be a RE bio-fuel like wood ... in other places it might be geothermal ... or hydroelectric ( doesn't have to be a dam ) ... or solar ... or wind ... etc.

Energy storage is already a issue being implemented today to improve the energy efficiency of our energy systems ... it is an on going project ... it took us over 100 years to build up the energy distribution systems we enjoy today ... upgrades are already happening ... we won't rebuild over 100 years of work in a day ... but it won't take another 100 years either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
energy, hydro, renewable, solar, wind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in