I need help finding a CC high output power supply - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need help finding a CC high output power supply

I'm recommissioning 2, maybe 3, 1970's electric riding lawn tractors I've had laying around for a few years now. My goal is to avoid the breaking down gas hog 1970's ICE mower I'm currently using. Well to the point I just picked up a bunch of military surplus cells and need to bring them out of storage state with a certain charge cycle.

To do this I need a CC power supply capable of 0-2volts and 0-20amps. I can use my current 0-30v 0-3a supply, but it will take me a month to finish the cells I need just for testing the mowers, and another month to complete the rest. It'll be snowing again when I get the thing going. So what power supply companies does the IC community recommend? I'm looking for something cheap since after the cells are in I will be using the 36v 20amp on board charger.

Thanks,

Tim
2000 Red MT "Wendy" #448 156k miles, Monster Truck Mode
2000 Silver MT #168 130k miles Grid charger harness, CARD switch, rad block, MIMA #174, BetterBattery 83.5Lmpg
Bests trips: One way 58.2 miles-110.4 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
round trip 116.8 miles-99.5mpg Tank: 94.4mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2001 Blue CVT - 203k miles 69.3Lmpg Best 56.6m-92.3 mpg Tank: 75.13mpg

timny1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

What type of cells are they? Chemistry? Capacity? part Number? Picture etc?

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Flooded NiCad, 30aH SAFT BB600. They've been in storage for about 10 years, but are NOS and stored correctly so they should be just fine.
2000 Red MT "Wendy" #448 156k miles, Monster Truck Mode
2000 Silver MT #168 130k miles Grid charger harness, CARD switch, rad block, MIMA #174, BetterBattery 83.5Lmpg
Bests trips: One way 58.2 miles-110.4 mpg
round trip 116.8 miles-99.5mpg Tank: 94.4mpg

2001 Blue CVT - 203k miles 69.3Lmpg Best 56.6m-92.3 mpg Tank: 75.13mpg

timny1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Saft cells very nice.

The charging regime for those is well documented around the net.

You can buy some pretty cheap meaty 0-5v adjustable power supplies on e-bay that will probably meet your requirements.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ebay has real and knock off meanwell power supplies of all range of inputs and outputs. They are stackable so you can have a high voltage or high amperage by paralleling them. Others you can parallel, but not stack in serial.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in