How's your garden ? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage
Default How's your garden ?

Great weather, nice rains, and the garden is coming along nicely.

Beans (in the white wire fencing), beets &radishes, storage onions, corn, asparagus in ferns, potatoes in blossom. The pics show one of the two 3' wide rows. I block plant densly. The beans and such shade out the weeds.

Should be pickin' soon !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6627.jpg (297.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6628.jpg (334.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6629.jpg (294.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6631.jpg (248.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6630.jpg (274.3 KB, 23 views)
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Nice. I got some red tomatoes, some funny shape cucumbers, japenos and bell peppers. No green beans yet. Ill see if I can get some photos soon.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yoweee!

Nice garden! And nice buildings across the road.

In Voltaire's satire Candide, the main character roams the world for the golden Eldorado but concludes his story with the cryptic conclusion that he now wants to spend his life tending his garden.
rhall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

rhall: it's a hobby for both me and my dad, keeps us out of trouble.

Cobb has red tomatoes already, nice ! It'll be a while before I have any. My granddaughter really likes the cherry tomatoes.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Old 07-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ill see if I can brave the weather to get some. Its like 82 degrees and 100% humidity out. At least I got banking, shopping and breakfast out of the way.

Hanover normally beats us, but we wait til after April 1 as we get a last frost blast before spring officially starts.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Cool

This is just the back yard. Got more in the front yard.

Now, off to find my neighbor to trade him some matoes for ice coffee.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5445.jpg (348.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5447.jpg (286.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5440.jpg (280.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5438.jpg (281.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5439.jpg (243.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Nice produce !

Gotta love American free trade. 'Maters for ...

Is that a hot pepper in the last pic ?
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain driver View Post
.......... The pics show one of the two 3' wide rows. I block plant densly. The beans and such shade out the weeds.........
!
Nice soil. What is your preparation?
Hugh-Falls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Hugh:

Prep depends on what's growing there that year. I rotate most of it except the end I use for the 'taters. Taters like low ph, 5.0-6.0, some sulphur , ashes, or some peat moss helps there.

The rest is ph around 6.5. Peat moss for that (less of it). I test every 2 years (kits available at the ag store to send over to Penn State co-op).

Raised beds with some construction grade sand for good drainage. Beds are about 12" deep. Roto-till at beginning and end of season. In the fall, beans and peas roots are tilled in too, they have lots of nitrogen nodules on them. I till in maple leaves (no oak leaves, they're hi acid and don't mulch down for squat) and composted grass clippings too (in the fall).

Root crop locations (onions and such) get beefed up with hi-phosphate stuff like 5-20-20 or even some super-phosphate or bone meal.

Corn gets 19-19-19 (from a local farmer, they use that stuff regularly.) Other veggies get 10-10-10 or 10-20-20.

If ph's test too low I till in some limestone to raise it. Test results from the co-op suggests treatments for acres, I break it down to square feet.

My best year was 550 lbs from 400 sq ft. Some years aren't so good. Me and dad have a lot of fun.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 07-13-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Harvest 2, many more to come.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140719_192432.jpg (141.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140719_192441.jpg (122.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140719_192446.jpg (121.0 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in