New Toy in Garage: AWD & Honda Engine - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Toy in Garage: AWD & Honda Engine

After struggling with Kohler and Briggs and Stratton engines for years, I finally splurged on a new Husqvarna AWD, self-propelled lawn mower with the Honda engine. (Most of their lineup comes with the Kohler or B&S engines, but a couple of their high end mowers have the Honda.)

I wanted the rechargeable mower, with Lithium ion batteries, but local vendors didn't have the one I was after, and I needed one sooner than I could have mail ordered it.

What a great machine. Starts at almost half a pull of the cord: every time! Pretty quiet too. I should have done it many years ago. "Spend twice as much; buy half as many!" Like good shoes: worth every penny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Pics of Pete on his new ride ?
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

My dad had a Honda mower back when they made a whole mower... the engine was amazing, a little two cylinder, and water cooled! It was quieter than any riding mower I've ever seen. Top gear was fast too: it could do maybe 15mph.

But the mower deck was crap, after the 4th or 5th time fixing it, he bought a used Sears model with a Briggs and that's what he uses to this day. Still has the old Honda tucked away though, that engine/transmission would make a mean go kart.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Got a link? I pulled the trigger a few years ago and sold the dr trimmer mower with the bush hog deck and twin cylinder kaw engine for a troybilt 19 hp kohler riding mower.

Having a small tractor is fun, but that dr mower could mow down anything you push the deck over.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_421867-63311...wer&facetInfo=

Well, it is not riding mower...but an All Wheel Drive push mower. I went through a couple of old riding tractors over the past two years, and I figured I'll try something that's easier to store, move, and my lawn is about 3/4 acres so not too much work anyway. Plus I can always use more exercise.

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...5388232892.jpg

Citrus #2083
Red '01 A/C parts car.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Husqvarna FTMFW!!!!!

My Dr field and brush mower was rwd and it had a nasty habit of doing a wheelie. I had a push mower and I had problems with the rear coming off the ground and the handle bars bending up and breaking their mounts. I was thinking about one of those mowers with the large bicycle wheels in the rear.

Ive been looking at mowers that double as limb or small tree chippers.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezin4 View Post
After struggling with Kohler and Briggs and Stratton engines for years, I finally splurged on a new Husqvarna AWD, self-propelled lawn mower with the Honda engine. (Most of their lineup comes with the Kohler or B&S engines, but a couple of their high end mowers have the Honda.)

I wanted the rechargeable mower, with Lithium ion batteries, but local vendors didn't have the one I was after, and I needed one sooner than I could have mail ordered it.

What a great machine. Starts at almost half a pull of the cord: every time! Pretty quiet too. I should have done it many years ago. "Spend twice as much; buy half as many!" Like good shoes: worth every penny.
I bought a new Husquarna mover this spring with the the honda engine, it is not the AWD but the high wheel rear, front wheel drive. I really like the fact that it was height adjustable to a 6' plus tall person, also the honda engine was nice and quiet, starts very easy, but the only thing I don't like is the bag is not supported well enough. If the bag get over half full it sags to the point where it almost exposes the opening for bagging. I do not think that the bagging set up will go the distance, but time will tell.

SAm
Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Totally agree. Mine was sagging too, and was dragging when more than halfway filled. I took it off and went the mulching route.

Citrus #2083
Red '01 A/C parts car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in