google chrome hardware opinion - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default google chrome hardware opinion

Hello all, I personally gave up on microsoft pc's about a 1 1/2 years ago after my my xp netbook stopped working. I took the plunge to a google chrome book. I can not believe how much I like this little computer, I am sold on the concept for personnel computing use. I don't think I will ever own another microsoft based computer again. My chicks windows 7 computer died for the second time and I was done with that as well and went with a chrome box PC. The entire system was $339.00, cpu, monitor, mouse and keyboard. Thus far she is very happy with the chrome box, there was huge reluctance to the transition. I think the days of microsofts' offerings of a operating system are numbered. What are peoples thoughts on google chrome hardware?

Sam
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Got my wife an Acer chromebook (c720).

It is tiny, lightweight, the battery lasts forever, and it cost $200 new.

Haven't had any complaints in the 6-9 months she's had it. Need I say more?

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

For those of us who want to limit Google's access to our lives, any product that Google makes or that runs Google's software is not acceptable. With a Chromebook, you are giving Google total access to everything you do on your Chromebook in exchange for a low price.

I prefer to pay more for a MacBook in exchange for much more control over my personal information and for top quality hardware. My wife and I both have MacBooks that are 4 or 5 years old, continue to work as well as when new (well, their battery capacities have dropped a bit), have never needed repairing, and continue to be supported by Apple (we will be able to update to their next operating system to be released soon). Because Apple has been concentrating on security and efficiency, these old MacBooks continue to be fast and have never been infected with malware despite running no performance-sapping anti-malware software (I'm looking at you, Microsoft).
Sold 16 July 2017: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
2014 BMW i3 BEV
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Its a double edge sword. On one hand you are indirectly supporting the linux movement as that is what its based off of, on the other you are giving up more privacy than you did before.

Ive tried for years to leave windows, but I have either software that wont work on the other system or price. My experience with an ipod touch 1 and 4 has changed me somewhat, but my wallet is where it counts.

To tell you the truth I was waiting for chrome books to go down, not up in price to buy one. At least they are getting better hardware, however for not much more you can buy a windows pc for what they are selling for.

Ive had a few budget pcs and a few toshibas, all have died. Ive worked for 2 different companies that used DELL and Ive seen many PC emit white smoke before dying or have some POST or BIOS fail screen up.

Seems they test this stuff for failure and have it down to a science when they warranty it.

Anyhoo, having said that I got a surface 2(Win 8 office for use at work), samsung galaxy tab 3 8 16 (Android kit kat for fun), pentinum 4 thats umbento 14 linux.

For Christmas I hope to buy myself a retina displayed macbook.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisbell View Post
For those of us who want to limit Google's access to our lives, any product that Google makes or that runs Google's software is not acceptable. With a Chromebook, you are giving Google total access to everything you do on your Chromebook in exchange for a low price.
Or you can blow away the Google OS, throw on another flavor of Linux and bask in the warm glow of inexpensive,lightweight hardware and a totally privacy-transparent software stack .

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisbell View Post

I prefer to pay more for a MacBook in exchange for much more control over my personal information and for top quality hardware. My wife and I both have MacBooks that are 4 or 5 years old, continue to work as well as when new (well, their battery capacities have dropped a bit), have never needed repairing, and continue to be supported by Apple (we will be able to update to their next operating system to be released soon). Because Apple has been concentrating on security and efficiency, these old MacBooks continue to be fast and have never been infected with malware despite running no performance-sapping anti-malware software (I'm looking at you, Microsoft).
I do not have a problem with google theoretically knowing where I go online, If big brother is a concern from google, I think there may be a bigger big bother looking in. I suspect that even with a mac that your isp will have a trail that could ultimately be used for potential data mining.

Sam
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Much like how criminals use fronts or fake companies to launder money governments have used the same to buy materials needed for black projects.

For all we know Apple, Microsoft, Google and the Linux movement are all fronts to get people to communicate and express their intentions in an electronic means so it can be traced and cataloged.

Me, I really like windows 8.1.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in