Duct tape = mpg? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Duct tape = mpg?

I just saw this on TV:

Mitsubishi Mirage fuel economy challenge winner duct tapes his way to 74.1 MPG

For a (somewhat) real world test, 74 mpg without lean burn in a heavier and less aerodynamic car than the G1 Insight is pretty good. The test was not controlled to determine if the tape grille blocks actually helped.
Silver 2006 MT #531, 202K miles : Genesis One GCO1 Charger, OBDIIC&C, MIMA 070 PnP, GAZ rear shocks, KLR3CYL rear springs and belly pan
Silver 2005 MT #107, 187K miles : OBDIIC&C, KLR3CYL belly pan. Still fixing small things.
Silver 2001 MT #683, 256K miles : Beater/test bed. Might sell it later.
davenm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Painters tape would of been a better choice as there is no clean up. Duct tape, at least what they market as duct tape leaves a stickie residue behind. Goo gone works to get rid of that.

True duct tape is the aluminum tape you see at the hardware store. That is made for fixing air leaks in duct work like your heater or air condition system in your home.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
True duct tape is the aluminum tape you see at the hardware store. That is made for fixing air leaks in duct work like your heater or air condition system in your home.
And for sealing the gaps around the IMA battery cooling fan.

It looks like most of the contestants were using painter's tape. The one guy (the winner?) with black tape appears to be using gaffer's tape. It's very expensive duct tape that actually sticks to stuff and doesn't leave any residue.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Fuelish; 08-17-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

74mpg is very impressive. i want to know how fast they were driving on the freeway desert.
J . K . is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

This seems like something Red Green would try! LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 MT BLACK Honda Insight.
Insightlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think they are just having fun. The blue tape looks like painters tape.

I am sure the mpg was done with a lot of stuff you couldnt do during rush hour on most major highways. Average speed maybe 17 mph.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Small hi tech 3 cylinder engine CVT box and Bridgestone Ecopia or Yokohama Bluearth 165 65 14's Low rolling resistance tyres. People shouldn't be that surprised.

Pretty sure there'd be more to the gallon from an insight on more modern LRR tyres if people here could be persuaded to move away from 15yr old technology RE92's. We'll see how I do once my IMA pack is fixed up!

Bluearth are very quiet and comfortable so far. Getting 22km per litre with no IMA in heavy traffic with a seriously long steep hill.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Pretty sure there'd be more to the gallon from an insight on more modern LRR tyres if people here could be persuaded to move away from 15yr old technology RE92's.
Many U.S. Insight owners have tried all sorts of other tires but none has matched the RE92 to date in terms of fuel efficiency. I don't think that many would argue that the RE92 has great traction, is very quiet, wears very well, etc., but so far, it appears to have the lowest rolling resistance of any tire we have been able to find and test.

Very few 165/65R14 tires are available in the U.S. due to Americans' disdain for small cars, so maybe there are better tires available elsewhere. The 165/65R14 Bridgestone Ecopia is not available in the U.S. The Yokohama Bluearth is not sold in the U.S, and Yokohama doesn't sell any 165/65R14 tire in the U.S. However, European Insight owners haven't reported anything to match their discontinued OEM tires which were not RE92's. In fact, a few have imported RE92's from the U.S. (e.g., me

We would love to have a more modern tire than the RE92, but most of us are unwilling to sacrifice fuel efficiency. So we're all still waiting for something that's available and that's better than the RE92.
Sold 16 July 2017: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
2014 BMW i3 BEV

Last edited by aisbell; 08-18-2014 at 06:55 AM.
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

You miss the point a little - the Mitsubishi Mirages have the same size tyres as the Insight and Low rolling resistance too as standard.

In NZ the Mitsi's come with Yokohamas or Bridgestone Ecopias standard fitment. I presume the US ones are similarly equipped with new LRR 165 65 14's

In Europe Brdigestone sell highly rated Ecopias:

EP001S

I cant get those in NZ

RE92 are almost mythological on this site it needs pointing out for those outside the US that much better (grip and noise possibly economy) tyres may be available.

If US Insight drivers only ever demand RE92 they'll never be offered the better stuff - it has to be better after 15 years product development doesn't it?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
You miss the point a little - the Mitsubishi Mirages have the same size tyres as the Insight and Low rolling resistance too as standard.

In NZ the Mitsi's come with Yokohamas or Bridgestone Ecopias standard fitment. I presume the US ones are similarly equipped with new LRR 165 65 14's
When I searched for 165/65R14 tires on a large Internet tire dealer in the U.S., TireRack.com, I found that the Dunlop Enasave is the only tire other than the RE92 that Tire Rack carries in this size. The reviews of this tire state that it is the OEM Mirage tire. The reviews aren't favorable and specifically recommend the RE92 over the Enasave.

The OEM tire for my i-MiEV is also the Dunlop Enasave but in 15" sizes. i-MiEV owners complain that these tires wear out fast and are expensive, and that they cannot find a better alternative.

One Insight owner has replaced his RE92's with Enasaves and hasn't noticed a fuel efficiency hit (but he admittedly doesn't stress fuel economy in his CVT). So maybe this will turn out to be a reasonable replacement despite poor reviews by Mirage owners.

Quote:
In Europe Brdigestone sell highly rated Ecopias:

EP001S

I can't get those in NZ
They aren't available in the U.S., either.

Quote:
RE92 are almost mythological on this site it needs pointing out for those outside the US that much better (grip and noise possibly economy) tyres may be available.
European Insight owners have been searching for a tire better than their OEM Bridgestone B391, but even with a much better selection than in the U.S., there still doesn't seem to be a clear winner. At least the E.U. now rates rolling resistance, but I'm not aware of any 165/65R14 tire that has received an "A" rolling resistance rating.

Quote:
If US Insight drivers only ever demand RE92 they'll never be offered the better stuff - it has to be better after 15 years product development doesn't it?
One would think so, but what is it? Not only does it need to match the RE92 in low rolling resistance but also in low weight, apparently a tough combination to beat.
Sold 16 July 2017: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
2014 BMW i3 BEV

Last edited by aisbell; 08-20-2014 at 06:25 AM.
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in