'88 CRXsi - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default '88 CRXsi

HI all. Did any of you folks owned or own an '88 CRXsi? I had one before I got the Insight and I am severely missing it.
My very first car when I was 14 was a 1974 Honda Z Coupe and I learned how to drive in it for several years. Then when my grandmother died around 1995'ish I inherited her 1990 Honda Accord. It was a nice car, but not what I wanted. At that time, and for a while, my dream car was always the '88 CRX.
So, when my sister-in-law's much older Accord was on it's last leg, I made a deal with my Dad that I give her the '90 Accord and I'd get myself a CRX. I didn't know at the time the difference in the different models of 88-91 CRX's, I just knew I liked that body-style.
Anyway, long story short I got my '88CRXsi and loved the car. At that time, I had a job at McD's in '97 and started modifying the CRX. Boy, I knew that car inside and out and I knew practically every bolt on it. It was one of the easiest cars ever to work on. I studied Automotive Tech between '99-'01 where I rebuilt the CRX's engine, bored out the cylinders and added larger pistons, Iceman air-intake, DC-Sports header, and had duel exhaust put in. The car was lowered an inch with Eibach springs and Toxico shocks, and rolled on 14x6 wheels. For a while it was silver in color and had an MGA body-kit on it. When I graduated Auto-Tech, I had removed the body-kit, put on 16x7 Konig Tuners on, clear Altezza-style tail-lights, and had the car repainted BMW Alpine White.
It was a beauty and it was fast and fun. I don't remember the gas-milage on it, but I didn't care at the time.
Anyway, in '01, my Dad and I were admiring the technology of the Insight and agreed to sell the 1972 Honda Z Coup, his old-old inherited Mercedes, and the CRX in favor of the Insight.
The Insight is by far the damned best car I've ever owned. Totally 100% trouble-free with of coarse replacing the 12v battery once or twice, new tires and basic maintenance. Today, I still have and love the Insight more than any other car out there. I love how very special, rare, exotic, and damn cheap it is.

My point to this little story, is I still miss the '88CRXsi and have recently ben thinking about getting one. I don't see too many of them on the road anymore, especially in good condition. It's a car I'm not afraid to work on, and it would be a fun project.
Is it possible to get one in relatively good condition that's still cheap? I don't want to waste money restoring a junked one, I don't want to put thousands into putting one on the road. I just want a descent fun little car that I can do a few things to it.

What you guy's think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 MT BLACK Honda Insight.
Insightlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

i own a 89 crx dx that is in great condition.

it is hard to find a clean all original honda crx in good condition for "cheap" these days.

ofcourse, cheap is a relative term, whats cheap to you?
J . K . is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had UK CRX VETEC model for 8 years pretty much same engine spec 1600cc 150 bhp but with leather seats and UK ones had rear seats too. I could get my sister behind her boyfriend (both a bit on the short side) in with the passenger seat positioned forward a bit but no room for anyone behind me. Spotless and original when I traded it in for My 1999 Elise.

HYD173Y IIRC Celeste blue metallic - very pretty. I miss that one too!

Vey few original looking cars around which is a shame because they still look good like that.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cheap around 3g's. Cheap without having to restore the hell out of it would be nice too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insightlover2011 View Post
Cheap around 3g's. Cheap without having to restore the hell out of it would be nice too.
Good luck finding an unmolested CRX for that dough. They're either riced to hell and back, or rusted through.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 12:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

for $3500 you can buy mine. lol.
J . K . is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

I really hate that terminology "riced" out. I prefer tuned, modified, hopped-up even. But riced out just seems so, wrong.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, looked at Craigslist in Denver, and saw a really nice blue 1991 CRXsi within my price range, but it's blue! Not one of my favorite colors and a color that's hard to customize. But for the price, it appears to be in near mint condition, and unmolested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in