win 8 speeds - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default win 8 speeds

Well I took the plunge and got a new laptop. It came with win 8. The unit is a lenovo edge, 16 gb ram, 1tb mem, i5core, 64bit system. Problem is, this thing is sloooow. Buffering a movie is almost pointless. In fact, it kinda pisses me off. My old LT would buffer without issue with less then half the power or mem. Is this just the way it is with win 8? I would think there is something i could change to bump up the speeds but not sure where to look. The whole win 8 thing is taking some getting used to-and where stuff is.
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
First insight to twist the camshaft
biododge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Looks like lots of google results...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ow%20streaming

Wife has a far less robust laptop, and we have no streaming issues with 8.1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Why havent you upgraded to 8.1? Have you accessed the charms menu, settings, change settings, updates, check for updates, then click view and see if there are any drivers out there? You can also go to the control panel by the windows file explorer by pressing the windows button and letter E. Then click desktop, then control panel and look for the update icon.

Uninstall all the crap you will never use. While in system under control panel pick performance and set for performance vs visual effects.

Try chrome browser, its rather fast for video and if you got a usb 3.0 slot, get a usb 3.0 thumb drive with at least 32 gb or space and set it for ready boost. I know you got a lot of ram and drive space, but this helps to speed things up further like streaming media.

My mother has an hp laptop with the beats by speaker, i7, 8 gb ram, 1 tb hd. Its slow too, but ready boost helped to pick up the pace.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do have 8.1. Sorry, i kinda just lumped the numbers together as if they were the same. I use chrome as ive become fed up with IE security issues. I have been looking at the vids online. I did up my virtual memory from 1.xxxgb to just over 6gb and that helped alot. Updates have been trickling in, so maybe with a forced check for them ill speed all that up. Good call on the usb ready boost. Im not sure why, but it just never occurred to me to use that--even though I used it heavilly on my past LT units. I do have the 3.0 port so Ill go nab a new flash and see how that helps.
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biododge1 View Post
I do have 8.1. Sorry, i kinda just lumped the numbers together as if they were the same. I use chrome as ive become fed up with IE security issues. I have been looking at the vids online. I did up my virtual memory from 1.xxxgb to just over 6gb and that helped alot. Updates have been trickling in, so maybe with a forced check for them ill speed all that up. Good call on the usb ready boost. Im not sure why, but it just never occurred to me to use that--even though I used it heavilly on my past LT units. I do have the 3.0 port so Ill go nab a new flash and see how that helps.
More time to write this time...

Seriously, ask Google again. You may find a common thread.

Absolutely, positively install all updates. Keep checking until it says there aren't anymore. Even if it's for IE, install it.

With 16G of RAM, your VM settings should be meaningless unless you're doing some serious high memory consumption stuff. I highly recommend you set it to be automatically managed by Windows. I have a 16G machine with a 120G (small) SSD, so I have mine set to a fixed 4G. I do a lot of heavy memory utilization stuff (CAD, image processing, etc.), and I've never had a memory or performance issue.

If you're connected via Wi-fi, as are most laptops, run benchmarking at Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test with your laptop close to your router. If you're not running near your max ISP speed, investigate your wi-fi settings. Router should be on Auto or channels 1, 6 or 11. Trust me on that one. Just do it. If you can use a wi-fi analyzer app on your smartphone to see local wifi SSID's, it's helpful to pick a 1, 6 or 11 that's furthest from the highest other signals.

Also, check your router for firmware upgrades. Install if available. Your router could also be performing marginally with wi-fi. These wi-fi routers don't last forever. I replace them every couple years at the most.

Try hooking it up via hard line. If you notice significant speed difference, it's probably your connection.

Make absolutely certain your display drivers are up to date. If you have the Intel GMA graphics, performance may be limited.

I can't stress it enough... install EVERYTHING windows update gives you.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

+1 to what Keith said. I click the check boxes for all listed updates and let it do it, then I reboot and do it again. If you got software by the manufacture run it too as my mothers HP has some HP crap that runs and picks firmware and driver updates. Let it download, install, reboot and do it again.

Go to file explorer windows button plus E and left click on your hard drive, then right click and pick properties and click clean up, then click system clean up. Delete all the crap listed in the list with a check in check box.

I have 8 gb of ram, seems more ram you have, you need more swap space. Having a thumb drive dedicated to ready boost has really sped up things. The biggest you can use is 32 gb, the biggest mini usb 3.0 thumb drive is 64 in such a small form factor. I use 11 gb for data and 32 for ready boost. Here are 2, I have the 64.

I think the issue with my mothers and your wife is the 1 tb hd. larger hd are better for archive and storage vs performance. Maybe you can get one with a higher rpm, larger cache or just go SSD. I want 4 like ssd in a raid 5 configuration in my next desktop.

Example SanDisk 32GB 32G CZ43 Cruzer Ultra Fit USB 3 0 Nano Flash Pen Drive SDCZ43 032G | eBay double space SanDisk 64GB CZ43 Ultra Fit Series USB 3 0 Flash Drive SDCZ43 064G G46 | eBay

Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

He indicated 16G. Most 2.5" laptop drives are 5400 rpm, which are slower than the 3.5" 7200 rpm, so they have inherently lower speeds but not dramatically so. With higher capacity comes higher data density and thus higher transfer speeds. With that much RAM, a 1 TB drive and Windows caching, most of his unused RAM will be allocated to a HD buffer. Right now, 11.5G of my 16G physical RAM is allocated to HD cache, so I'm barely using my actual RAM, and there's a good chance that most of what is being read off disk is coming from the cache at RAM speeds vs. HD speeds. I can't imagine HD speed is in any way contributing to his issue.

I suspect it's a display driver issue, wi-fi issue, unpatched Windows bug or an actual hardware fault.

Knowing that the vast majority of USB thumb drives run at substantially lower speeds than the typical hard drive and the usability of ReadyBoost is really only for very marginal systems meeting clear critera (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ff356869.aspx), I've never seen it as any value.

Steve

Last edited by S Keith; 12-11-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

as far a the graphics thing..here is what i found mine says.

intel hd graphics 4400, 1792MB avail graphics memory, 1920x1080 resolution

Ive had a thought, but dont know if its the cause. My att router is years old. IIRC, this new LT is built/more suited for that new 803 (?) address code and maybe they just dont mesh well? (yet work slow).

I am making progress getting buffer speeds faster, but it just puzzles me as why a new LT would need tons of stuff shut down just so it can load a darn movie vs a 2-3yrs old LT with half power everything (win7 based) works fine.

I am in school now for cyber sec and will one day understand all of it but damn...it makes ya want to tear your hair out! lol
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
Old 12-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biododge1 View Post
as far a the graphics thing..here is what i found mine says.

intel hd graphics 4400, 1792MB avail graphics memory, 1920x1080 resolution

Ive had a thought, but dont know if its the cause. My att router is years old. IIRC, this new LT is built/more suited for that new 803 (?) address code and maybe they just dont mesh well? (yet work slow).

I am making progress getting buffer speeds faster, but it just puzzles me as why a new LT would need tons of stuff shut down just so it can load a darn movie vs a 2-3yrs old LT with half power everything (win7 based) works fine.

I am in school now for cyber sec and will one day understand all of it but damn...it makes ya want to tear your hair out! lol
Try a direct cable connection to your router. Compare wi-fi and cable speeds at speedtest.net. I bet it's your router.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

So shutting down and closing stuff speeds it up? I was going to suggest running a speed test, that should tell you if its horse power or bandwidth.

Keith, I went from 1 to 2 gb of ram, 2 to 4 and 4 to 8. With these jumps I notice an improvement in speed up til the 4 to 8 jump. This is with windows 8.1 pro and 64 bit install.

With the ready boost drive it speeds up booting and loading of web pages.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in