'91 Mustang build/repair thread! (Foxie). - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2015, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Default '91 Mustang build/repair thread! (Foxie).

I tried posting this, and after 45 mins of work on my phone it decided to refresh the page and I lost it all. I'm surprised my phone is still intact. Anyway.

As (very few) of you know, I got a 1991 Ford Mustang from my uncle for basically free. It's an Automatic AOD transmission with a 5.0HO and a black paint job with Titanium grey interior.

So what's the point of this thread? Well, I'm bored, at work and pulling a 24 hour day so I needed something to keep me awake. I will be keeping this thread updated with progress and pics.

Now to the main point. What is my long term goal with this car? Well, I'm hoping to build a street cruiser/sleeper. Shooting for 375-400HP at the wheels, while keeping the body/interior looking completely stock. When people look at this car, I want them to think "What a piece of trash ahahaha" and laugh at me, right until I leave them in a cloud of smoke and peel out.

And onto the gritty details.

Stuff that will be done eventually.
Replace windshield (giant crack).
Bouncing speedometer.
Steering wheel. (extremely worn).
Rims are bent. (curb strikes).
Brakes are severely worn.
Low braking power, I think this is related to worn brakes but not sure.
Smog pump seized.
Entire interior replaced (except seats).
New doors (one is bent from a robbery, other is just FUBAR).
Drop down dome light causes fuse to instantly pop.
Both headlights and tail lights need to be replaced.
A/C needs recharged (R-12).
Alignment.
Transmission flush/refill.
Compression check.
Replace master cylinder.

Things done thus far:
Cleaned interior of makup/dirt. Must have gotten 10LBS of makeup off the steering wheel, climate control, door, etc etc.
Power steering pump was making a god awful noise when turning, and the fluid was as thick as mud and black as used oil, so I changed that and it's still making noise, but sounds much better.
Spark plug change.
Replaced headlight/DRL switch, was stuck in the 'on' position.
Cap and rotor change.
MAF sensor cleaning.
Throttle body cleaning (was super bad).
New air filter.
Replaced hatch. Was rusted through at the bottom of the windshield between the windshield and wing. It's red now.
Passenger side exhaust replaced. Had a hole from hitting a speed bump way too hard.
Rear brakes adjusted.
Replaced broken tail light. Was backed into a pole (not me). Caused no damage to bumper.

Immediate mods/repairs that I'll be doing in the next 2 months.
4.10 rear end.
KYB shocks in the rear and springs in the rear and front.
Front struts (unsure what I'm going to go with).
Eldebrock manifold.
70MM throttle body.
CAI/K&N air filter.
Injectors cleaned (I seriously think one is running lean) by mrinjector.us
Electric fan conversion.
Subframe connectors.
Rear control arms.
New 4-lug pony rims.
Power steering pump.
AOD 'hold' Valve body for better AOD trans/launch control.
New speedometer cable.
Stuff that I'll be doing that doesn't cost alot of money in the next few weeks.
Remove interior and give it a good scrubbing to try and save the carpet.
Install and paint new doors. They are currently white.
Install new door panels along with the doors.
Clean up the engine bay.
Change brakes (already have them).

Future mods that I will get done (probably 1-2 years out):
Vortech intercoolerless supercharger.
42LB injectors (might only go 36 we will see).
MSD ignition box.
On the fly Boost controller/timing retard advance/rev limiter box.
Rebuilt AOD transmission.
Transmission temperature/A,F ratio/Boost/Oil temp gauges.

Now for a few pics. I'll take some better ones tomorrow/Sunday.

Front pic

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!

Last edited by Balto; 01-31-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I guess my question is, are you a mustang fan or is it just your second car? Ive found many mustang owners to be unique and have a poor behavior around honda owners. Ironic as you also own a honda and a hybrid at that.

Best to just make a list and pace yourself. My sidekick has been my project vehicle. Although its low miles many parts are worn or fail due to rust and corrosion.

For example Ive been driving in 4wd and now the cvc joints are rattling and knocking. Previous was the brakes, locking hubs, radio and speakers, ac, etc. It seems that I have cascade failure. The more I do, the more pops up. I was worried the larger tires would make the wheel bearings act up, but so far they have been ok.

Its still on par with making a payment on a car, so Ill just keep fixing stuff as it pops up.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I guess my question is, are you a mustang fan or is it just your second car? Ive found many mustang owners to be unique and have a poor behavior around honda owners. Ironic as you also own a honda and a hybrid at that.

Best to just make a list and pace yourself. My sidekick has been my project vehicle. Although its low miles many parts are worn or fail due to rust and corrosion.

For example Ive been driving in 4wd and now the cvc joints are rattling and knocking. Previous was the brakes, locking hubs, radio and speakers, ac, etc. It seems that I have cascade failure. The more I do, the more pops up. I was worried the larger tires would make the wheel bearings act up, but so far they have been ok.

Its still on par with making a payment on a car, so Ill just keep fixing stuff as it pops up.
Once I get this fixed up, it's going to be my around town car. The insight will only be for out of town trips. I just did the brakes today and they feel really nice and not as squishy as they used to. As being a all-california car there is no rust to speak of, and many under the hood parts are surprisingly in good condition. I also found out the oil leak is the oil pan gasket which is a relief.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thats good. Rockauto has been a great resource for me to find alike manufactured parts as well as part numbers to shop around on price through ebay and such. My sidekick is unusual as its a 4 door and most are 2 door. The rear on the 4 door uses 10 inch drums while the 2 doors used 8. Second because its a 95 its not a floating rear axle as the 96 and up are.

Thanks to rockauto I managed to find all raybestos brake parts for my sidekick. Found on the passenger rear the bottom spring was missing, drivers side one of the top return springs was gone. Same here, stops on a dime and I got petal now.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Thats good. Rockauto has been a great resource for me to find alike manufactured parts as well as part numbers to shop around on price through ebay and such. My sidekick is unusual as its a 4 door and most are 2 door. The rear on the 4 door uses 10 inch drums while the 2 doors used 8. Second because its a 95 its not a floating rear axle as the 96 and up are.

Thanks to rockauto I managed to find all raybestos brake parts for my sidekick. Found on the passenger rear the bottom spring was missing, drivers side one of the top return springs was gone. Same here, stops on a dime and I got petal now.
I have only heard good things about rockauto, but I use latemodelrestoration to find stuff I need. I just picked up a new speedo cable for only 20 bucks. I can't believe how much these new brake pads have helped my low brake power issue. I'm glad I decided to do them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in