[OT] Prius - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2015, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default [OT] Prius

Interesting read:

Who has done their recall? | PriusChat

Seems like the Prius has a serious recall and their fix is a software update; but their software update left their owners disappointed, unlike how our update made most of us happier
carniver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Toyota fix is done mostly to keep some important diodes for melting. The "fix" has impacted many Prii by decreasing MPG.

I took my wife's Prius in for the update during a scheduled oil change last fall, but they were really busy and the update wasn't done. We drive our Prius pretty gently, so not really that worried about the meltdown. If I drove in the Southern states during the Summer season on a daily basis, I would be more concerned.

One of my snow skiing buddies has a 2010 Prius and had his update done at the same time that he had new tires put on the car. That was in the late fall of 2013, so a fair comparison was not in the cards. He changed tires from his worn out OE Yokohamas to a set of Continental Pure Contacts.

From what I can tell, his car has lost about 2 MPG since the double whammy event, tires and re-flash. I get to drive it on return ski trips we make a few times a week during the snow season, so I have quite a few miles experience driving his car.

Other than the loss of MPG, I haven't noticed any differences in performance. The Continental's made the car ride a little softer and are quite a bit less noisy than the original Yokohama tires. Just the tire change alone could be responsible for the lower MPG observed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Foresight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

I see! It's great to have both the Prius and the Insight. How do you compare the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Both are pretty unique vehicles. 3rd gen Prius is an ok 50mpg+ capable travel car. Does long highway trips well. I have no complaints. Mechanicals are first rate and everything runs smoothly. Not a perfect car, but it's good.

The Honda is smaller inside and out by a tad. I'm surprised that I can get about the same MPG as the Prius, especially since the Insight sticker said only 44 mpg highway. The motive system in the Honda is slightly less refined, especially at takeoff from a stop. The Honda clutch engagement takes a little practice to get smoothly, but it's fine once it's mastered.

Both have their quirks. I like them just about equally. Wife drives the Prius primarily, and I use the Insight.

Value wise, Honda really missed the boat. The Insight is a full one third less expensive than a comparable Prius. Insight can get Prius MPG. Honda wins the value battle by a lot. Honda marketed the Insight abysmally. Too bad Insight's going away.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

To be fair, the odd recall every three years should be viewed as responsible product R&D.

If you never have a recall on a car, then you should question what manufacturer follow up is. Toyota perfected the production system of vehicles for the whole world, and recalls are part of this. Just look at how many old Toyotas and Hondas are still driving about compared to other marques... a lot. Look at a 10 year old Ford/ GM compared to a Japanese car... junk.

I remember when the media jumped on Toyota for the worldwide recall of certain vehicles due to the accelerator issue. I think I am right in remembering that the majority of crashes were due to the carpet mats rucking up and affecting the accelerator, not the actual recall that Toyota were doing for drive by wire (I think that's what it was, but in other words, that's driver error in my book).

So there are recalls for safety (which are based on statistical measurement of similar safety issues), recalls for reliability (again issued on some sort of statistical probability of failure, and then recalls (other stuff).

Now, BMW Mercedes and VW have had countless known issues with ABS pumps, diesel injectors, alloy wheels cracking, questionable quality issues with forged parts, such as hub assemblies, track rod ends and suspension components - and the number of recalls from the German manufacturers is tiny by comparison - one must ask why? the answer is quality assurance and quality control.

When you look at the reliability index, most German vehicles are poor (despite the 30 year old views held by many that they are the best): they are not, they are statistically unreliable compared to all the Japanese makes other than Subaru (and Subaru should sort out their act really, as they have a good heritage).

My own experience with BMW would also support this; unreliable - mainly electrical, but also some mechanical fragilities.

The number of recalls issued buy a manufacturer is likely proportional to the reliability index (though I haven't got the data to prove this, but I would make the assumption).

The other thing to look at is what vehicles are broken down by the side of the road... can't comment on the US, but in the UK its all the French, Italian and German brands - though the US brands (although not sold in huge numbers due to the fuel prices here) also favour poorly.

It's all about quality control and R&D in the end.... though that builds on a foundation of good design.

I've seen a few Nissan Leafs on the hard shoulder, but that's probably because the owners forgot they were driving full electric, and didn't make it to the next service station charger (unfortunate).

Last edited by phb10186; 02-08-2015 at 10:55 AM.
phb10186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
Both are pretty unique vehicles. 3rd gen Prius is an ok 50mpg+ capable travel car. Does long highway trips well. I have no complaints. Mechanicals are first rate and everything runs smoothly. Not a perfect car, but it's good.

The Honda is smaller inside and out by a tad. I'm surprised that I can get about the same MPG as the Prius, especially since the Insight sticker said only 44 mpg highway. The motive system in the Honda is slightly less refined, especially at takeoff from a stop. The Honda clutch engagement takes a little practice to get smoothly, but it's fine once it's mastered.

Both have their quirks. I like them just about equally. Wife drives the Prius primarily, and I use the Insight.

Value wise, Honda really missed the boat. The Insight is a full one third less expensive than a comparable Prius. Insight can get Prius MPG. Honda wins the value battle by a lot. Honda marketed the Insight abysmally. Too bad Insight's going away.
Is the Prius more comfortable with less NVH? I have never test driven the Prius, and while myself have no problem with my Insight my gf has been driving a Lexus herself. I wonder if a Prius could have matched that level of comfort.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

We actually have a Gen 1 Insight, Gen 1 Prius, and Gen 2 Prius in our family.

All sort of have thir own niche.

The Insight is great for everyday commuting. Usually me, alone in the car.

The Gen 1 Prius is a nice around town/highway car. Great turning radius. Compact size. Confortable for 4. Can seat 5, but pretty snug.

The Gen 2 Prius is the biggest of the bunch. Nice to have the extra cargo capacity with the hatchback and lay down back seats. 4 adults fit with plenty of room. Can seat 5. When driving by myself in this car it feels a little wasteful room wise. But it can get 50 mpg, so that's not bad.

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 02:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carniver View Post
Is the Prius more comfortable with less NVH? I have never test driven the Prius, and while myself have no problem with my Insight my gf has been driving a Lexus herself. I wonder if a Prius could have matched that level of comfort.
Prius won't beat the Lexus. Prius, with the right tires (quiet ones) are fine travel cars. Lexus crams a lot of sound insulation and high tech bushings into their cars to keep things calm in the cabin.

We've taken the Prii (we had a 2005 that we traded in on the 2011) on extended 1500 mile + trips without complaints about their comfort. The Second Gen 2005 was not a linear car on the highway. We changed tires to help it out and had alignments done, but the car was easily moved off track. Plus the Second Gen Prius ergonomics were primitive.

The Third Gen 2011 we now drive is a cruise missile by comparison. The front end is much more dialed in and will head down a straight interstate with little correction. Very easy to drive on long trips.

Our Prius is a 4, so it also has a pretty nice JBL sound system that for an OEM set up, is AOK. The seats are leather, and the adjustments allow for a really comfortable place to sit for extended periods of time. I've seen plenty of people complaining endlessly on forums about how uncomfortable they find their Prius.

If you ever consider buying any car, spend enough time in it, before you buy. Make sure that its not going to aggravate you later because something doesn't fit properly. If you can't get comfortable in a car, then it's likely that this condition will probably not change in the long run.

Last edited by Foresight; 02-12-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have currently both a 2013 Insight and a 2006 Prius.

My partner drives the Prius daily to work and the Insight is my car. I've owned all three generation of the Prius.

I recently rented a 2013 Gen.III Prius that had 24,000 miles to take down state for the weekend for my grandmothers 80th birthday and I couldn't tell a difference in the way the car drove or accelerated. It used EV mode aggressively around town just like my old Gen.III did, the acceleration rate felt the same. I didn't notice a difference.

MPG was fantastic too. With the cruise control set to 65 MPH, in normal mode, with ambient temps at 20 degrees and the HVAC system set to 75 degrees, I averaged 49.7 MPG over the 300 mile trip through the mountains of southern WV.

And one trip from my dads house in Naugatuck, WV on the Kentucky boarder, to Charleston, WV with my sister and some friends to eat at Olive Garden, doing 70-75 MPH the whole way (about a 70 some odd mile trip) took 1 hour and 6 minutes to arrive at Olive Garden, yielded 44.1 MPG.

On the way back to my dad's, however, I set my cruise to 65 MPH, which make the trip 10-12 minutes longer, but I averaged 52.2 MPG.

2004 Silverstone CVT Insight (120,800 miles on ODO as of 12-3-17)

**Past vehicles** (Miles driven included)
2002 Blue Moon Pearl (Gen.I) Prius (40,000)
2006 Driftwood Pearl (Gen.II) Prius (56,000)
2010 Blizzard Pearl (Gen.III) Prius (48,000)
2013 Milano Red Insight DX (Gen.II) (18,300)
2015 Sea Glass Pearl Prius (Gen.III) (14,800)
That_Insight_Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, Ill give it to the prius. I had a rental one for a few weeks. Drove it like a rental car. Got 49.9 at its worse, 65 at its best. Plus the gen 3 is a whale of a car inside and out. Keep in mind the gen 2 prius is already a few inches bigger than the gen 2 insight.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in