Home battery - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage
Default Home battery

Saw an interesting news story about the Tesla home battery. Solar or house current charged.

A bit pricy now, but may come down with rise in customer demand.

Having seen a couple nice solar set-ups by some members here, this could be something a person with limited electrical abilities could go after.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain driver View Post
Saw an interesting news story about the Tesla home battery. Solar or house current charged.

A bit pricy now, but may come down with rise in customer demand.

Having seen a couple nice solar set-ups by some members here, this could be something a person with limited electrical abilities could go after.
My wife mentioned that last night, I guess she saw it on tv. I wonder how these batteries stack up against other home batteries that run off of solar? I'd love to have something off grid better batteries would take solar to another level.
desertracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Looks like a single big one rates for 10 kwh. I wonder if that's 10 useable capacity ? My house averages about 22-25 per day, so during peak I'm guessing about 15 or so. I'd probably need 2. Payback would take a long time, especially since I'd be charging from the grid during off peak.

Interesting seeing them trying to market to the average homeowner.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I saw that too. Looks like a good deal if you use it for the batteries for other projects, maybe sell the inverter online to recoup some costs?

I had an idea to do something like thing, but there are losses in charging.

I have a whole house kilowatt meter and we use 400 watts idle. When the fridge, ac, hot water heater, etc turn on it goes up, but with 100 watts of solar we save about 50 bucks a month.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Heard about this on SciFri. It has the potential to address many problems. The electrical grid operates in a continuous fashion with no reserves. With gas or heating oil, you have a tank of it holding the excess. With power gen, there's no tank holding excess electrons... until now.

Utilizing something like this even on a non-solar home would serve to "smooth out" the demand. With batteries providing power during on-peak and recharging during off-peak, it smooths out the demand.

I expect the capacity is rated, no total. For survival during the 3,650 cycles of the warranty period, they are most certainly practicing partial charge/discharge akin to electric vehicles. Charging in this range is also much more efficient (near 100%).

I betcha this concept gets substantially cheaper when Elon's battery plant is running full tilt.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

SK,

Yep, nothing in production (at the moment) for bulk storage of power.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Old 05-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

It wouldnt be too difficult to put something together with off the shelf parts. As is many grid tie inverters work above resting voltages of typical battery configurations. This way the excess power can be used to back feed your home. Then when you need power flip on the inverter to draw from the battery.

Im just glad we do not have tiered rates. I could see using something like the Tesla system to supplement your day usage from charging at night during off peak time.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

AZ has option of tiered rates. Summer on-peak = ~3X off-peak.

Even w/o an Li-Elon (I'm taking credit for that) battery, we save about $250/year on our bill... a little over 10%... by using a programmable thermostat and not running appliances during peak hours...

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, with the tiered rates if you consume a lot of power, this is a no brainer and will easily repay for itself and then some.

Yes, our electric grid has no storage, it just pulls from another location. Many areas have back up and peak demand natural gas back up generators they use. Last resort is rolling black outs.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Not sure about other areas, but around here our section of the grid (PJM) is expected to 'retire' more generation (over 26k MW) than is being built, with most of the retirements occurring by the end of 2015. By 2024, new generation is expected to be caught up.

PJM already imports from VEPCO during peak periods, not looking forward to seeing prices when supply dwindles even further.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in