Great surprise when I came home today - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Great surprise when I came home today

Came home after work to find some driving supremo had slammed in to the back of my Diesel Yaris... repair estimate for Toyota was over 6k, thus a sure write-off. At least the supremo left me their details, and would appear to have totaled his BMW 5 series as well.

... not the best day

phb10186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

That sucks....

I had a grey import German Mercedes 240D. It had a parking light switch that rotated almost 360 degrees with countless positions. 2 of the positions would turn on only the left or right side parking lights. It had a big battery under the hood and the owners manual said those could be left on for a few days.

Considering that and your accident, is it required to leave your parking lights on when parked over there? No lights are required here unless its night out or requires use of your wipers. Even then its loosely enforced.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
That sucks....

I had a grey import German Mercedes 240D. It had a parking light switch that rotated almost 360 degrees with countless positions. 2 of the positions would turn on only the left or right side parking lights. It had a big battery under the hood and the owners manual said those could be left on for a few days.

Considering that and your accident, is it required to leave your parking lights on when parked over there? No lights are required here unless its night out or requires use of your wipers. Even then its loosely enforced.
No light required when you park, no. German (and other European countries?) require a parking light on I believe if it is very foggy, and other stuff like you have to park up in the direction of traffic. Sensible ideas you could argue, but nothing like that in the UK. We are actually fairly lax on that type of thing. The rules are more geared to giving you tickets for doing bad stuff like parking out of the bay and speeding - basic revenue generating stuff - that said we have some of the safest roads in Europe, probably down to the fact that noone gets killed in traffic Though some law is common to the EU, a lot of law is delegated back to the individual countries. Highway law is one such thing. Most of the commonality in the EU relates to human rights, working conditions, free movement of people and trade of goods and services. It is akin to the federal and state laws in the US, but more varied in some areas, and more consistent in others.

Lights and wipers in the UK: you have to have your dipped headlights on when the streetlights turn on, or it gets otherwise dark. Side lights aren't mandated in the UK, but common sense dictates that you should use these to be seen when needed rather than to see. You dont have to turn your headlights on when using your wipers actually, though I can see the sense there - it is not mandated in any way.

The force of the impact shunted the car, and it was a good 20 feet up the road to where I parked it! It also slid the wheels on the other side along the curb, and has messed up 3 wheels actually, and that corner tyre has a hole in it.

I spent 2k last year having the glow plugs and tyres replaced, as well as a load of other little bits for a major service... this will presumably now be all sunk cost.

Last edited by phb10186; 09-09-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Well, its hard to get preventative maintenance items to break even or come out ahead. Maybe you can buy it back from the insurance company and part it out and profit or break even? Im sure with the cheaper gas prices the value has gone down.

Sounds like we are similar in that respect. We are starting to use roundabouts more. They seem to reduce accidents and speed, but you get "that guy" who goes around it clockwise and nearly hits someone head on.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 03:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had something similar happen to my old Fabia but lower speed. Came back to find my car had been shunted a few feet. The police and fire brigade had attended because the driver had managed to do themselves an injury so thankfully I was able to get full details from them.

My insurance company 'repaired' the car but it was never the same and developed quite a few worrying rattles from the suspension. About 1200 was spent on repairs to the bodywork but I reckon it needed suspension work and engine mounts etc too. A mechanic later told me that he'd not been able to remove the drive shaft when doing some other work on the car (I forget what exactly) and he'd had to do a very fiddly work around and my guess is the shunt didn't help.

Although I wasn't in the car, it was interesting how quickly the phone calls started coming in from ambulance chasing law firms offering to help me with 'the accident I had'.

Last edited by Uriel; 09-10-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 03:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

It needs a rear shell panel, rear quarter panel, tailgate, bumper and all the stuff behind. Then there us a noise to the rear suspension and likely alignment issues possibly to the shell... if I were to buy it back and repair, it would be a ball ache to repair well and to cost, and then there is a risk that issues would still persist.

I'll not do anything until I have agreed a value, though it will also be categorised as a write-off on the relevant database, and the only way I see to repair cost effectively would be to find another black one I can take all the parts off.

However I do like the car, it is 11 years old now, with 110k miles, but it's in top condition otherwise... well it was before the supremo got near it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in