Manual Transmission Question - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Manual Transmission Question

The car in question is my 1988 Honda Accord.

I've converted the car from carb to fi and auto to manual. I had my brother in law rebuild the transmission since he had rebuilt a jeep transmission and i never opened one before, all it needed was a 5th gear synchro and new seals, he measured everything and it was all in spec. I have been able to drive it around the blocks a couple of times. BUT I have the following problem.
  • When in nuetral and not moving, if i rev it up to 4k or so, sometimes it will just die instantly.
  • When in neutral and not moving with the clutch pressed down, i havent had it die but ive been afraid to push it as hard
  • a couple times around the block, i was in 2nd going 15-20mph, the tranny seized, car came to an abrupt stop (actually had a bruise from the seatbelt it was that quick). Started the car again and was able to continue the rest of the way.
  • Once it seized while reving it in the driveway, everytime i started it back up, it would stall when releasing the clutch, the only fix was to get out and push the car an inch or two then i could release the clutch and drive it.

After studying how the tranny works, here are my assumptions
  • It appears that its going into two gears at the same time somehow especially when the revs get higher
  • The clutch adjustment appears to be good, engaging and releasing

My questions
  • What are your thoughts on how this is happening?
  • How can a manual transmission go into two gears at the same time?
  • Is a synchro backwards or a shift fork not engaging or disengaging?
  • I dont know how the shift forks work in this car, is it possible that one is not connected or loose?
  • Am i a wuss for not wanting to drive it to avoid damage to it when it seizes just for diagnosing it with all the gears. I'm assuming its a ton of force on the transmission case stopping a car dead in its tracks especially with my grippy tires.

Last edited by Conozo; 12-01-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Conozo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

This site is populated entirely by Insight Gen 1, Gen2, and Civic hybrid owners and fans. Doubt you will get any help here. Try google.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
This site is populated entirely by Insight Gen 1, Gen2, and Civic hybrid owners and fans. Doubt you will get any help here. Try google.
I'm aware, i've asked this question on 3geez.com - Classic Honda Accord & Prelude Forum too but theres not many people there anymore. Tried googling and haven't found anything other than people just giving up and junking their car. Even though its a different Honda, the manual transmissions work very similar. I thought if maybe someone who had a very good understanding about manual transmissions could give a hint as to how this would be possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conozo View Post
Even though its a different Honda, the manual transmissions work very similar. I thought if maybe someone who had a very good understanding about manual transmissions could give a hint as to how this would be possible.
We do have one good transmission builder, and a few others who are really competent, so maybe you will get an answer.

From top of my head, "brother-in-law with Jeep experience" doesn't sound very promising. Perhaps you should start shopping for a used transmission
Old 12-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
We do have one good transmission builder, and a few others who are really competent, so maybe you will get an answer.

From top of my head, "brother-in-law with Jeep experience" doesn't sound very promising. Perhaps you should start shopping for a used transmission
i know. I joke about it with him all the time that he screwed it up. It sounded better than me, the one who had never rebuilt a tranny before. But now that i have more experience wrenching, i am ready to tackle it myself. I have limited time and want to know what to look for before opening it up and just looking around.

I have been searching for another tranny but honestly its almost impossible to find one. I bought a whole car just to get the tranny. What goes out on these trannys is the 5th gear synchro because of its age the seals wear out and fluid leaks causing the 5th gear synchro to wear first. I spent two months calling every honda dealer and tranny shop in the country for a 5th gear synchro and purchased the last one in USA and canada. Other than that one synchro the tranny was good, so its worth keeping if i can figure it out.

Last edited by Conozo; 12-01-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is this a rod or cable shifted transmission? If it is cable shifted, it might be worth manually moving the shift levers to see if it is allowing two gears to be selected at the same time (IE), shift into 3rd, then try to move the 1,2 5,R selecter arm. I'm 99% certain this would be an internal issue, with the arms misadjusted allowing them to engage in the neutral detent. It might be worth ripping it open again just to check for damage done during these rather brutal events.
red91sit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in