Anyone running dashcam(s)? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone running dashcam(s)?

I started this thread on another site for my truck and to my surprise there were a lot of guys on the fence about buying one and talking about mine actually influenced a couple of people to buy it! So, about six months ago I was watching dashcam vids on Youtube and it dawned on me just how much the evidence of those videos has probably come into the defense of that driver where as if not, they would have been responsible for accidents. Also, just being able to record what's going on while your driving might also help others too depending on the situation. I have a one hour commute to and from work every day without traffic. So I'm in my car for at LEAST two hours a day. So I bit the bullet and bought my first dashcam and I couldn't be happier with it. I got it off of ebay. It's a Falcon F360. It clamps onto your existing rear view mirror and acts as rear view mirror except this has a built in screen that you can turn on. Pretty neat. It's a dual camera so I have one facing forward and one out my door and they swivel opposite one another a full 180 degrees. Has a long power cord that snaps under the paneling of your car so it can be concealed. Mine came with a 32gb micro SD card and holds I believe up to 10 hours of video. It does loop recording so it records over the oldest 15 minute segments after the card is full so you never have to mess with it. I believe my price was $130. 120 degree camera range and full HD. Let me know what you guys think, and if you have a different set then share that too!

BJ
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

A very good friend was using a dash cam when he was rear-ended by someone. After the investigating officer viewed his camera to verify my friend did not cause the accident by a sudden lane change, he went back and cited the guy who hit my friend. Valuable for the insurance claim.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain driver View Post
A very good friend was using a dash cam when he was rear-ended by someone. After the investigating officer viewed his camera to verify my friend did not cause the accident by a sudden lane change, he went back and cited the guy who hit my friend. Valuable for the insurance claim.
Exactly, and that's basically it. For a pretty decent price you can get some peace of mind. Glad your friend had one!

BJ
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am about to install a ZeroEdge Z2 dash and backup camera on my G1. It is very similar to the one the OP describes. I will report with photos once the install has been completed.
I've wanted to do this for years and finally got around to it. I have a nasty commute and see a lot of accidents around me. It is only a matter of time before I'll need the footage for an insurance claim.
secteur_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I run a Novatek 96650 and love it. Haven't had to really use it yet to prove anything but just having it in the car gives me some peace of mind in case something happens. I'm planning on upgrading to a forward and rear facing system soon.

They're great for catching things like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-hrO2BCszQ
Old 12-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm one of those guys you could say is on the fence. But really I'm about to jump off the fence, I just don't know which yard to jump into. There are so many dash cams out there and so many good and bad reviews of each. I think I was last leaning towards the Garmin Dash Cam 20. But I wouldn't mind the front and rear facing cameras.

Tim
2000 Red MT "Wendy" #448 156k miles, Monster Truck Mode
2000 Silver MT #168 130k miles Grid charger harness, CARD switch, rad block, MIMA #174, BetterBattery 83.5Lmpg
Bests trips: One way 58.2 miles-110.4 mpg
round trip 116.8 miles-99.5mpg Tank: 94.4mpg

2001 Blue CVT - 203k miles 69.3Lmpg Best 56.6m-92.3 mpg Tank: 75.13mpg

timny1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you are looking for the best unit, the dashcam community is really talking up the JOOVUE

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ly-look.15520/

https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/da...actioncam.html
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerado View Post
I run a Novatek 96650 and love it.
There are many different dash cams at different price points using this chip, which brand/model do you have?
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos View Post
If you are looking for the best unit, the dashcam community is really talking up the JOOVUE

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ly-look.15520/
I was waiting for someone to post a dashcamtalk link...

I've been looking at some of the cheaper ones (~$85), but really haven't convinced myself that I really "need" one...
2000 Silverstone Metallic Insight MT, #226, lmpg 48.8
2003 San Marino Red Acura CLS 6spd
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

I installed one in my Mustang a couple years ago. I'm eventually going to get around to putting one in the Insight. Never had to make use of it thankfully, but good that it's there.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in