My car history - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My car history

Hi folks,

Iím sure weíre all petrol heads here so thought it might be worth sharing my cars past and present. Hopefully itís of interest to you all!

First off I had a Ď97 Audi A4 SE. It was the 1.8 20v N/A version, not that fastest thing in the world but as a teenager it made me feel like king of the B&Q car park lol. Eventually it died a death, I wasnít very hands on back then but from my memory of the fault and what I know now I reckon it skipped a tooth on the timing belt... The below photo includes my mate making a gallon or so of pudding, donít ask!

Second car was my first Honda. Bought on the recommendation of a friend who is a mechanic - I was going to get another Audi again, but he steered me on to this Ď01 Accord SE Executive as he reckoned it would be more reliable and better value for money. And it was! Until an oil seal let go at motorway speed. Cue all my oil dumping out rapidly, the oil light came on after one of my pistons tried to escape through the wall of the block. I kept the car with the intention of H swapping it, I got most of the way done and lost enthusiasm, itís sitting in my garage still as sentiment wonít let me sell it (daft I know)

Next up was a Ď91 VW Golf Driver 1.6 8v. Love this car, although itís not on the road curently. I stuck a GTI cam in it and it really brought the carby engine to life. The carb wasnít reliable though so I swapped a later 2.0i 8v into it. MOT expired and it needed finishig properly, I put it in the back of the barn and I feel guilt every time I see it... Maybe this year Iíll get it sorted!

My fourth car came about as necessity, the only car on the road was the Golf and my girlfriend and I were about to move in together. She was borrowing her Mumís car back then and of course that wouldnít work if we moved out. She gave me a budget and told me to get her something, I came back with a Ď92 Honda Prelude Si VTEC. This is a Japanese import with an H22A engine, iirc the power is about 197hp and despite the initial telling off I got for not buying a sensible car, this is where we both found our love of imports. We still own this car, and itís one that I doubt weíll ever sell. About this time we got our first labrador puppy, and whilst heíll happily ride in the back of the Prelude (even now heís a 30kg lump!) we decided an estate wouldnít be a bad move for days out with the dog.

JDM-Josh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cue the Ď99 Citroen Xsara HDi. A 2 litre turbo diesel, it wasnít going to set the world on fire or cause much excitement, but my god could it take a beating. Never gave us any trouble despite being on 140k miles when we got it, and we did 20k extra in it. Despite being fwd, you could get the back end out in the wet! This did itís duty for a year, but I found it a bit too boring and sold it. I was told off over that lol.

Now I forget what came next - I think it was my Ď87 Honda Accord GSi. One of a limited number, this was the top spec Accord in its day and came with a 2.0i 16v twin cam engine - itís quick for what it is! I got this off a customer at Honda, and it has been family owned from the 80ís and has all the history present. I ran it as a reliable daily for some time, before taking it off the road as it needs the standard Honda corrosion issues addressed as well as pink paint. Itís in the barn and on the to-do list! Folks in North America might spot that over in the UK we got fixed headlights on the third gen Accord saloon rather than the pop up ones.

Then I stumbled across this little gem/nightmare. Itís an Ď87 VW Scirocco Scala. 1.8 8v engine on the same carb as my Golf - needless to say I spent a lot of time cursing at this car. When it ran properly it was fantastic though. Had a great summer with this car nonetheless. But winter came and I didnít have the time/space to swap in a fuel injected motor in, and I sold it for a pittance as a project to a local lad. I see itís since been scrapped and Iím gutted, especially as prices have shot up recently and I have a spare 1.8t 20v motor in the garage from a mk4 Golf GTi.

A friend supplied the next one - it was destined for scrap!! Itís a 1986 Honda Prelude GSi. Same spec engine in this as the Accord above, and theyíre built on a very similar platform. This Prelude is suffering really badly from corrosion so it will need a full restoration, the paint is poor too. The engine runs sweet as a nut though, and I changed the clutch when I got it and gave it a full service, so hopefully it should be a reliable motor once itís had the bodywork addressed. It currently lives on my parents farm, but will drag it up the barn at some point as itís not faired this winter too well.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Next up is another sensible motor. I got this for my girlfriend to commute in, itís an Ď02 Honda Civic SE Executive. It was a bit of a lemon in all honesty, turns out the particular D16 in these is prone to bad rings and valve stem seals when the mileage gets towards six figures. My girlfriend was doing a long commute and this thing regularly ran dry! I was putting oil in at a crazy rate. It started loosing coolant too, so the engine was overheating and running with low oil pressure regularly. I tried to drive it to death as a send off, and it just wouldnít die!! I seized the engine at one point as it got so hot all the clearances went out of tolerance, 30 minutes later it was running again after it cooled. I gave up trying to kill it and just scrapped it lol.

Laura (my girlfriend) needed a new car, so I got her this for eating up the miles she was doing - a Ď99 Audi A6 1.8 20v turbo. Really not a bad car, but it developed some faults and in the end the German engineering was itís own downfall. Look up removing the front hub from these - itís not a job for the feint of heart. We had our moneyís worth from it so I scrapped it rather than fix it.

I fancied a new car myself, and I spotted a Ď93 Isuzu Bighorn locally for a bargain price. I hadnít had my own 4x4 prior to this one so thought why not! I absolutely love it, itís reliable, solid and so far it hasnít come unstuck. There is a local main road that floods regularly, and I like to roll through the water looking smug as everyone else turns back. Itís a Japanese import, and is sold badged as a Trooper in a lot of other countries.

After the Audi Laura needed another car. She wanted something a bit more fun, and we tracked down a Ď94 Toyota MR2 G-Limited that hit the spot. Again this is a Japanese import that we tracked down locally. This one is an auto, but itís still fairly rapid and great fun on the back roads. Itís not engaging overdrive currently so a manual swap is on the cards. At some point I will finally paint the nose cone as well!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Next up is my spares truck - itís a Ď94 Honda Horizon, which is just a re-badged Isuzu Bighorn. The auto box on this one is goosed, but itís handy to keep around for if I need bits for my other truck.

At around the same time I imported myself a car from Japan - I really love fast estates, and this Ď01 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT-B E-Tune II really ticked the box. It was low miles, had a black over blue leather interior, and a twin turbo flat 4 engine that developed 280hp. Coupled with a manual gearbox and AWD drive train, this thing was a bit quick. The book 0-60 figure was 5.5 seconds, and theyíre reportedly good for up to 160-170mph. My favourite part was the roll out dog guard. That and being able to leave sports cars behind in a family wagon - the look on another drivers face as a large estate with two dogs in the boot smokes them is priceless. I ran this for a bit and then sold it to fund a project, but I really miss it. Iíll buy another at some point as it was a fantastic car.

Next was our donor Toyota MR2. I think itís a Ď91 from memory. Absolutely rotten in the sills, but the gearbox is good as is the engine and running gear. Eventually it will get broken up and scrapped. I donít have a pic as itís just a beat up rot box.

After that was another run around for Laura as we fancied something a bit more fuel efficient than the MR2. Roll on a Ď97 Honda Civic Coupe SR VTEC. It was only SOHC VTEC, but still fairly pokey for a 1.6. I thought it was cracking value for money, but she didnít gel with it and we sold it on eventually.

Another local bargain the next car - another Honda Prelude Si VTEC. This one is a Ď93 if memory serves, and again is the Japanese spec. I keep my eye on the classifieds and every now and again a little gem like this pops up. This one was £350!!! Iíve been driving it daily, and it runs beautifully. All it needed was the main relay to be soldered, as it had an intermittent starting problem to begin with. Itís an auto currently, Iíd like to swap in a manual box but other than that itís pretty much fine as it is.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

One I picked up a couple of weeks ago, a Mazda MX5 1.8 - a little rough around the edges but good cheap fun. Iíll put it in for an MOT Monday and see how it does, but Iíd like to have it running for the summer (if it ever turns up!) for some roof down shenanigans.

I think thatís pretty much everything we have had so far. Iím genuinely struggling to remember these days though!!

Hope itís of interest to you guys.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nice list -Thanks for sharing. Between my brother, sons, and I, we also owned an 86 Prelude Si, 91 Prelude Si, 86 GTi, 86 Scirocco and 88 Scirocco 16V, 98 A4 1.8T, Subaru 2.5 RS & several WRX and a Legacy GT, 05 Civic EX coupe, 99 Miata. I'm just mentioning the ones similar to the ones on your list. Never had an MR2 but enjoyed my 85 Supra. It was a rust free, Texas car with working A/C, sunroof, 5 speed, power everything, and only faults were sun faded silver paint and drivers leather seat tears. Paid $750 for it at a Salvation Army sealed bid auction in 1999. I also lost oil pressure due to front seal on highway and installed a JDM 5MGE, but it never ran as strong. Other notable cool cars on my list of 50+ are: 05 Cooper S, 92 Innocenti Small, (current) smart ForTwo ED, 69 Mustang Convertible, 84 Buick Regal Convertible, 79 Fiat Spider, several Saab Turbos, several Volvo 7 and 9 series, a couple BMW 325s (E30), Passat VR6, Corolla XRS 2.4, Camry Hybrid (not a driver's car but super reliable and economic), 73 Roadrunner 383, Eclipse Spyder V6, Jeep Wrangler TJ.
The Bighorn was also sold in the U.S. as Isuzu Trooper and Acura SLX. I just looked it up and found it surprising how many other badges that model ended up being sold under:
Acura SLX
Chevrolet Trooper
Isuzu Bighorn
Holden Jackaroo
Holden Monterey
Honda Horizon
HSV Jackaroo
Opel Monterey
Subaru Bighorn
Vauxhall Monterey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Always cool to see what folks have owned in their "car history" Being from England you've had access to some really nice cars that we can't get over here. Civic Type R is one example off the top of my head. Thanks for posting. Here is a quick look at mine.

1972 Cutlass
1970 Cutlass
1987 Trans Am
1970 Nova
1990 Honda CRX Si (traded for below the truck below..only new car I've ever owned)
1979 Dodge Aspen Station Wagon
1993 K1500 4x4 Truck
1988 Hyundai Excel
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
1994 Acura Integra GSR
1990 Nissan Hardbody
1993 Nissan Hardbody
1990 Volkswagen Corrado (white)
1988 Toyota Corolla GTS
1990 Volkwagen Corrado (yellow)
1997 Toyota Supra TT
1995 Nissan Hardbody
1990 Mazda Miata
1988 Porsche 928 S4
1990 Honda CRX Si
2005 Honda Accord
1992 Mazda Miata
2000 Honda CRV
2001 Nissan Pathfinder
2004 Toyota Tundra
2006 Subaru Legacy GT
2001 NSX
2003 Acura CL Type S 6MT
2006 Honda CRV
1991 Honda CRX Si
2011 Toyota Sienna
2009 Nissan Frontier
2000 Honda Insight

Last edited by SSSSSS; 02-27-2016 at 07:28 AM.
SSSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here's mine starting with facsimiles the family car's first driven. The '66 VW bug was my first registered vehicle, daily driven through college and work in the 70's. The 440cid Dodge Polara Wagon was a flash in the pan getting 8mpg through a summer; the thrifty quick Datsun 610 Wagon went to Guatemala and back but was a rust bucket in the end.
Another dependable plain-jane brown MB250 was driven for years, then MB280s. By far the greatest influence on my motorsports fascination was the 1974 BMW 2002tii. Had some tracktime fun with that one. From then more 'previously owned' Bimmers sold or crushed, while keeping the tii and the rare 3.0CS which made it to the Monterey Historics in the early 90's. The pickup trucks owned did their thing through the years with no major issues except rust. Both Ford and Chev were daily driven through many Canadian winters reliably.

I have two very different JDM cars, a 1991 Nissan Pulsar GTIR, and a 1990 Toyota Sera, the latter a beautiful Toyota concept style/sound exercise with dihedral doors for ease of entry that was marketed towards upwardly mobile Japanese women at the time; and the former vehicle an example of Nissan's rally effort homologation. The small grey car has 230hp AWD now with FMIC etc.

The best for last of course. Must say that the BMW2002tii had the most to do with my driving overall, but the most fascinating now is the gen-1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į
\ /
/\
[/SIZE]
AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in