Teaching a new driver stick - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Teaching a new driver stick

My girlfriend is a new driver and she's uncomfortable with driving mostly due to lack of experience in my opinion. I'm going to need to get her ready for our drive back to Vegas in September. She's driven my car in a parking lot, never getting out of first gear, does anyone have suggestions of how to get her comfortable with driving and how is the best method to teach someone to drive stick? She hasn't driven my car in about a year and it's likely the most tame car she's ever driven by far. I need advice here as it's super important to get her comfortable and ready to drive my 5 speed Insight on our cross country drive.
2000 Citrus #5260 200k+Miles
KaityVoivre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I guess it depends on her problem? Is it because its your car, is it engagement issue with the clutch? Is it driving in general or does she drive an automatic ok?

Id try her in the parking lot with first and reverse, then try to add second tot he mix, then maybe 3rd. Id think for the most part you could coach her through it and once she is in 5th she sould be good to go for a few hundred miles.

When I traveled to WV and PA I missed a few exits to get ready to slow down fast enough. Im use to the long ramps in VA to get off and back on where in some cases you had 100 ft to go from 70 to 25 or even the parking lot that was for both the gas station and fast food place.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I guess it depends on her problem? Is it because its your car, is it engagement issue with the clutch? Is it driving in general or does she drive an automatic ok?

Id try her in the parking lot with first and reverse, then try to add second tot he mix, then maybe 3rd. Id think for the most part you could coach her through it and once she is in 5th she sould be good to go for a few hundred miles.

When I traveled to WV and PA I missed a few exits to get ready to slow down fast enough. Im use to the long ramps in VA to get off and back on where in some cases you had 100 ft to go from 70 to 25 or even the parking lot that was for both the gas station and fast food place.
No, I took her over to a parking lot last year and she only stalled out once or twice. She's just unsure about her ability to drive which scares her, she's even scared of driving automatic cars. When I last took her out to drive stick she never really got out of 1st because the lot was too small, so we mainly did stop and go and circles in 1st.

We're going to a much larger lot up in Fairfax County at the NOVA Annandale campus on a weekend so she can get well above 1st gear. She's never done reverse in my car before so that will be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

She sounds a bit like my wife was when we married. He father had tried to teach her to drive and had instead traumatized her. Recognizing that one really can't function well in modern America without driving, in many situations, I decided try again.

By keep the conversation low key, soft spoken and patient, I quickly discovered the trauma problem as the basic issue. I also learned a lot myself in the process.

I discovered that, for my best gal, the basic problem was that the trauma had led to a severe lack of self confidence. By deliberately being very patient and practicing a lot in parking lots, I found that her confidence level gradually increased, but it was very a slow process. We then "graduated" to lightly traveled roads where she could drive more realisticly. She eventually gained enough skill and confidence that she could pass the driving test and get her license - and she continue to learn over time. She eventually became a very safe driver with a great driving record.

So bottom line -patience, practice, and positive feedback along the way
Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does she have a drivers license?

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
She sounds a bit like my wife was when we married. He father had tried to teach her to drive and had instead traumatized her. Recognizing that one really can't function well in modern America without driving, in many situations, I decided try again.

By keep the conversation low key, soft spoken and patient, I quickly discovered the trauma problem as the basic issue. I also learned a lot myself in the process.

I discovered that, for my best gal, the basic problem was that the trauma had led to a severe lack of self confidence. By deliberately being very patient and practicing a lot in parking lots, I found that her confidence level gradually increased, but it was very a slow process. We then "graduated" to lightly traveled roads where she could drive more realisticly. She eventually gained enough skill and confidence that she could pass the driving test and get her license - and she continue to learn over time. She eventually became a very safe driver with a great driving record.

So bottom line -patience, practice, and positive feedback along the way
Yeah she lacks confidence big time, last year before she had a license only a learners permit, I took her by my old high school lot which has a drivers ed course on the back. We mainly just drove around in circles in 1st gear and did a lot of stop and go as that's the hardest part. She only stalled out once or twice. She apparently has difficulty staying in the lane. But the Insight is tame because of it's small engine power and the car is tiny so should be easier than her father's Honda Oddessy minivan to stay in the lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Does she have a drivers license?

Sam
Yes, she has a valid Virginia drivers license.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Does she smoke? Maybe you should let her light up while driving? I smoked when I got my license and I use to pull over for smoke breaks and of all places the rear of a gas station. It was something else, but I slowly got over it and stopped smoking a few years later.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Does she smoke? Maybe you should let her light up while driving? I smoked when I got my license and I use to pull over for smoke breaks and of all places the rear of a gas station. It was something else, but I slowly got over it and stopped smoking a few years later.
Not cigarettes, no..lol
Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

kaity send me the address of the fredrick meet,,i lost it,,thanks,,pm it if you can,
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

How did it go? My new car is a 5 speed and I find im more comfortable double clutching it. To start off I release the clutch 90% then reclutch it once I start to move then release the clutch the second time. I shift at 3 grand, engine runs at 3500 at 70.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in