Looking for the wife a car - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Off Topic Section > Honda Insight Lounge

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for the wife a car

Well I have tried to talk the wife into getting a Gen 1 insight but she is not buying it! She wants a hatchback that gets good gas mileage and doesn't want to pay a fortune. She really likes the Volts but they are a little bit more money than we want to spend. I have noticed a few Volts around the 10K mark with about 90,000 on the clock. Would these vehicles be a good buy? I am not sure about the reliability of the Volt since they are fairly new. For this reason we have been looking at the Gen2 and Gen 3 Prius. The nice Gen 3 Prius is around 13K with about 40,000 miles on them. Again, we should probably just go ahead and get the Volt. I do think that some of the Gen 2 Prius with 140,000 and priced at 5 to 6k look rather attractive.

I am basically looking for some opinions so I have more knowledge to make the correct decision. Her commute is around 50 to 60 miles daily. She is really wanting to wait until a electric vehicle comes out that has over a 200 mile range and she can buy used when the prices drop. Unfortunately, she has a Jetta TDI that Volkswagon is buying back around Nov 1st. It was part of the emissions issue buy back program. What is everybody's thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Last edited by Blackhawk MTP; 10-13-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Blackhawk MTP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk MTP View Post
Her commute is around 50 to 60 miles daily.
Is that round-trip or one-way? A used 1st-gen Volt would probably run ~30-35 miles on electric alone. If it's round-trip and she had a spot to plug in, she might never need to use gas at all, at least on her commute.
dsteele713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteele713 View Post
Is that round-trip or one-way? A used 1st-gen Volt would probably run ~30-35 miles on electric alone. If it's round-trip and she had a spot to plug in, she might never need to use gas at all, at least on her commute.
It is round trip. Unfortunately she doesn't have a plug in at work. KY is not very EV friendly yet so there isn't any plugs where we live right now. Hopefully that changes in the next few years. We would only be able to charge at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would trust Toyota reliability to buy one of these PLUG-In HYBRID Prius even sight unseen as long as there isn't an accident history: Toyota Prius for Sale in Frederick, MD 21701: cars under 13000 - Autotrader
or here: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...rchSource=SORT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.

Last edited by freezin4; 10-13-2016 at 03:15 PM.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezin4 View Post
I would trust Toyota reliability to buy one of these PLUG-In HYBRID Prius even sight unseen as long as there isn't an accident history: Toyota Prius for Sale in Frederick, MD 21701: cars under 13000 - Autotrader

I like the Prius but the plug in only has like an 11 mile range I believe. I think they might have the upgraded lithium batteries though? We are kinda trying to stay south of 10k but if we need to spring the extra cash to get a better vehicle we can. Our main goal is to have this car for 2 or 3 years until a fully electric car that gets over 200 miles hits the used market for a good price. Do you all think I should just plan on keeping this car longer than 3 years? Meaning, it might take longer than that for a 200 mile range EV to hit the used car market. If we plan on keeping it longer than 3 years we wouldn't mind spending the extra cash and get a nicer car.

Last edited by Blackhawk MTP; 10-13-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here's what happened with my wife.

She totaled the 2nd Gen.

We got the Lexus CT200h as its replacement.

It gets decent MPG (high 30's, low 40's -- hilly, mountainous terrain) and she looks good driving it. Hell, I look good driving it.

The funniest thing you'll find is people telling you, "I didn't know Lexus made a car that small." It's happened to both of us. They don't know what to think when you tell them it's a glorified Prius with great suspension.

Bought it used. Built really well. Aside from my NAV screen that rotates, it likes to make a noise sometime but apparently I'm the only person in the world with this issue and not all have NAV, so.

Mind you, I'm in the market for a 1st Gen Insight as I can't get my wife out of the CT but hey I've always wanted one.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think she is now considering buying a Gen 2 Honda Insight but it has to be the EX model.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Not a bad idea. Get a '10 or '11 year to get around piston ring issues. Not sure about the very latest years.
Zwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well we ended up going with this 2006 Prius off of Craigslist. Hopefully it turns out to be a decent car. Every 2010 we looked were not taken care of.

2006 TOYOTA PRIUS-50 MPG-ULTRA DEPENDABLE!! NAVI & LEATHER !!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk MTP View Post
Well we ended up going with this 2006 Prius off of Craigslist. Hopefully it turns out to be a decent car. Every 2010 we looked were not taken care of.

2006 TOYOTA PRIUS-50 MPG-ULTRA DEPENDABLE!! NAVI & LEATHER !!
Good choice. Good price. Very happy with my 07 (190K) and 08 (130K) Gen2s.

If you're DIY at all, you have some exceptional diagnostic tools available. There are bootleg Techstream copies in the wild supplied with MiniVCI cables ($20-30). You provide your own laptop (32 bit preferred, or WinXP VM under Windows 7 - complicated, but can be done on Windows 64-bit), and you have the same diagnostic capabilities as the dealer.

For $13 for an OBDII Bluetooth reader and $5 for torque pro on Android (there are comparable options for iPhone), you can measure and log tons of battery and Hybrid-specific data.

Without any diagnostic tools at all (other than the ability to measure time elapsed), I have a test that allows you to assess the health of the battery. Ambient temps need to be above 75F as it relies on the A/C pulling full load.

I recommend you grab one of Jeff's Prolong Reconditioning kits. Regular use of one of those on a Prius prior to failure can make the battery outlast the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in