Honda Insight Forum banner

What I've Learned So Far

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Moviemike 
#1 ·
I'm up to 1054 miles. This includes two round trips across the Coast Range to Eugene. One trip was 51.5 mpg the other 47.9, vs the '15 Civic Hybrid which was usually 52. Here are some things I've learned about the car, and for getting top mpg.

People like the luxury car styling.

With tire pressures at 40 psi front and 39 rear, the heavy dead solidity of the ride is gone. The car feels lighter on its feet, balanced and maneuverable while cornering. The back end has a good strong grip of the road while hard cornering with VSA off. It travels in a straight line at 70 mph without noticeable steering inputs! Its got a great sports car feel, which I love; but lacks the horses under the hood, a part of me is expecting /wanting for a truer sports car driving experience!

Mpg is very sensitive to diving style. A sports car driving style will get ya the low mpg some reviewers and posters here have been talking about. On the other hand, some focus and effort can get ya EPA and above, mpg. Top mpg is not about driving slowly (“grandpa style”?), its about driving smart!

Some habits I'm forming to routinely get top mpg.
1. Two flicks on the paddle shifter as a first step in every braking action for traffic lights or slowing of traffic.
2. Two flicks while maintaining steady speed as I approach the beginning of a downgrade. Followed by easing up of throttle to slow deceleration. Subtle throttle pressure increase as needed to maintain speed. Keeping the power meter pointer near the green / blue line to maximize use of max. regen's 3 second delay before turning off. Push the ECON button for help with this
3. Drive with green EV icon light on as much as possible. It tells you the engine is off.
4. Avoid engine on when stopped or at slow speeds, to maximum extent possible.
5. Utilize steady cruising speed for engine regen. Use extra gas to cruise in Sport mode to buiild battery to 6-7 bars, to prepare for long or steep upgrades.
6. Push the EV button for hill climbing. Time use of EV button on, such that EV cancels (due low battery) at top of hill. Then use downgrade or steady cruising to re charge. Also push EV button from a stop to get up to cruising speed, if battery is strong. If speed is above 25 mph, or power meter is high, EV may not engage after pushing the button. Play with this. Using EV button on for hill climbing leads to big increase in highway mpg!!
7. Use heater, only when engine is on for other purposes.
8. At speeds of 60 mph and above, expect mpg in the mid to upper 40's.

See less See more
#3 ·
In what situations doe the G3 use EV mode?

I have a G2 which has a limited EV mode, it really only uses that for maintaining speed on like a flat when you're going at least 30 mph. Does the G3 use EV for more than that?

#4 ·
The G3 uses the electric motor exclusively to propel the vehicle until about 50 mph. The gas engine can be directly hooked up to the wheels by the clutch above that speed depending on conditions, but there is only one speed for that mode. This means there essentially isn't a transmission in the normal sense, just one gear that gets used when the clutch engages it. Below about 50 mph, the gas engine only is used to turn the generator.

#5 ·
When the clutch is NOT engaged the gas engine is used to generate electricity. The juice is directed by computer to the wheels, battery, or both.

When the gas engine is not operating, power from the battery is directed to the wheels and the green EV icon comes on.

When the EV button on the center console is pressed and "EV mode" is engaged, the gas engine does not operate. EV mode automatically cancels when SOC drops to 2-3 bars. Cold engine, speed above 25 mph, other factors my prevent engagement of EV mode.

Currently I'm getting 3-5 mpg better than my '15 HCH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.