Insight MID - What a Joke! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Insight MID

Honda should fix the MID on I2, or someone will initiate a class action lawsuit soon. Bedsides constantly overestimating the MPG, "Range" feature is useless since over the course of a tank, it constantly reduces the range the I2 is capable of traveling. When the tank is full, it gives you a range of 500+ miles. However, as the tank nears empty, the MID readjusts the remaining range, even though the average MPG stays constant, the total miles always is less than the original estimate.
'02 Accord SE
'04 Odyssey EX
'10 Insight EX
'11 Odyssey LX

Last edited by iamiam; 03-06-2010 at 07:58 PM.
iamiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

How would you expect the range function to work?
2005 V70, 180K, (wife's car)
2007 CR-V, 175K, (daughter's car)

Eastern MA
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
How would you expect the range function to work?
Give you an accurate estimate?

I wouldn't think giving you a range of 500 miles when overall average MPG is 42 in a 10.7 gallon tank is very accurate, do you?
'02 Accord SE
'04 Odyssey EX
'10 Insight EX
'11 Odyssey LX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe it's expecting you to get 50mpg. You're greatly disappointing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
buglermcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Estimated MPG about 5% off

I've also found the average fuel economy as shown on the MID to be a little high. It was the same on my 2003 Civic Hybrid. About 5% I figure.

The thing is though, it just doesn't bother me. Never did. I just do the math myself at the end of a tank if I want perfect numbers.

Confucius say; Don't sweat the small stuff brothers and sisters...

I still want my share of the class action dough though
mrkcohen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thats not bad, most speedos are 5% off anyways. Mines seems to reset to 567 miles, then falls from there.

I dont care about that stuff, I imagine its hard to be accurate, but Id make it artifically low to surpruse my customers at how great of fuel economy they really get, vs the disappointment.

I hate the fact you must trigger the display everytime you turn on the key. Sure it returns to the lsat screen, but you can also scroll through to a blank scree. Shy start off each key turn with a blank screen vs last one selected if a blank screen is an option?

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm not really sure what you are expecting. From personal experience and reading the numerous threads and posts regarding MPG, it seems you could get a tank range of anywhere from 300-350mi (on the low end) or 500+mi (on the high end). This seems to depend on a lot of factors, including driving style, speed, terrain, weather, etc, etc. How can the MID possibly give an accurate range upon filling up and turning the engine on? I believe the range is based upon *current* conditions, and will fluctuate accordingly...

Agreed Cobb, that's my only real complaint with the operation of the MID...just go back to where I was without the need to press any buttons. I understand the blank screen, perhaps some people may want to set it to that to avoid any distractions...but don't default to it :-/
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahTX View Post
I'm not really sure what you are expecting. From personal experience and reading the numerous threads and posts regarding MPG, it seems you could get a tank range of anywhere from 300-350mi (on the low end) or 500+mi (on the high end). This seems to depend on a lot of factors, including driving style, speed, terrain, weather, etc, etc. How can the MID possibly give an accurate range upon filling up and turning the engine on? I believe the range is based upon *current* conditions, and will fluctuate accordingly...
Agreed, but why not start off with an attainable figure, most likely one based on lifetime average. As it is now, it starts with 562, and ends up being 400. And coupled with over-estimating the MPG, I would say Honda is deliberately misleading the consumers.
'02 Accord SE
'04 Odyssey EX
'10 Insight EX
'11 Odyssey LX
Old 01-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Having paid attention to my MID range screen since this thread started, I think it works exactly as described in the manual, using your recent mpg to calculate the range, updating every now and then, though they don't tell you exactly what they consider recent and how often it updates.

I think this approach makes sense. What if you normally drove in the country getting 50+ mpg, but then were doing some city driving. The MID range value for your city driving would be way too high if it were based on a long-term average rather than what you were doing lately.
2005 V70, 180K, (wife's car)
2007 CR-V, 175K, (daughter's car)

Eastern MA
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
abr

My main complaint with the MID is the only 2 screens that are of importance are at opposite ends. Screen with current & avg mpg & screen with the battery meter.

I'm constantly doing the 4 clicks to switch back & forth. Oh how I wish I could modify the sequence of displays or delete the other 6 useless ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in