auto stop mystery SOLVED - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default auto stop mystery SOLVED

Hi, I had a few spare minutes today while waiting in my car, so I started reading some more sections of the Manual...

I was wondering why my Auto Stop didn't seem to be.. well, stopping, lol. I know when econ is on, it stopped a lot, almost at every intersection. But the past 2 weeks with econ off, I hardly noticed auto stop engaging at all (never).

Well it turns out the Manual says that the Auto Stop does NOT engage if either Defrost button is turned ON or the auto climate Mode is set to legs+windshield.

For weeks, I've been driving around with my climate Mode set to legs+windshield. In my old car, I always did that because I don't like it blowing on me, and instead like it on the windshield and feet. But that means NO auto stop which means WORSE mileage! Maybe my 36mpg will creep back up closer to 40 again? lol

Anyway, I thought this might help explain those of you in cold climates who have serious reason to have Defrost turned on. Your declines in mpg might not just be from the engine being cold, but from your defrost being on and no auto stops!
Liberalguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I still turn the climate control off before coming to a stop. My mileage still sucks (high 30's, low 40's) but that is because I live so close to work that 90% of my driving is done with a cold engine.

Oh well, its better than the high 20's I would get with my Civic in this weather.

Current Vehicles:

2010 Insight
2007 Fit Sport MANUAL
2010 Honda NT700V Deauville

Future Vehicles:

CR-Z?
Tesla Roadster (I wish)
bish79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Liberalguy...Thanks for the tip...I,also, have the fan set to leg+windshield all the time. I thought something was wrong or maybe the colder temps...I switched the fan to 'face' today and the car went to autostop like crazy..Maybe I should read the manual..
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

lol ya once in awhile it's worth it to read the manual tonight I experimented withe the voice-activation while I was driving back from San JOse and would say "Audio advance 2 tracks" and it would say "changing audio to 92.6" - grrr, after a dozen unrecognized commands or so, finally resigned that I'm going to have to read the nav manual if I'm going to start using the voice activation! I did figure out commands to adjust the temperature on the climate control with voice commands, that was fun.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think you are the first person to ever mention the voice operated stuff that the NAV owners have. I knew it had something like the Ford Microsoft SYNC thing, but no one has ever mentioned it.

It seems cool, but i like to fidgit and move around while driving and reaching for the radio and hvac give me a good excuse, plus saved me a few grand for a nice head unit down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberalguy View Post
I did figure out commands to adjust the temperature on the climate control with voice commands, that was fun.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

has anyone noticed auto stop in nuetral?

do it everyday, and found it will do it more frequently

fwiw mine shuts off at 9 mph and will start for 10ish seconds and shut back off. and sometime let off the brake to let it start then back on the brake to shut it off again over and over again...

2010 Honda Insight EX Badgeless
Polished Metal Metallic
Limo Tint ALL THE WAY AROUND
6100k High Beam Silverstar..love it
Door Visors (sick)
Wiper removed with OG Honda Plug
Best AT 199.9 for 2 miles
Best Trip 79.8 for 21.6 miles

Honda Service Technician.
shhhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ive notice that too, if it wont autostop in drive, slip it in nutral it will.

In this colder weather, I rather it keeps on going.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think the Ford one seems a little more comprehensive and responsive, or it could just seem like it in the commercials. I find I haven't been all that motivated to use the voice activation much because the radio controls are right there on the steering wheel. It's my first car with the controls on the steering wheel, and so I've been enjoying that, hard to imagine needing to speak the commands instead of fiddling my thumbs lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in