Pleased with my fuel economy thus far. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Gimpster Send a message via MSN to Gimpster Send a message via Yahoo to Gimpster
Default Pleased with my fuel economy thus far.

Just wanted to share my experience thus far.

I've owned the car since Saturday and it has 193 miles on it. I'm running the tires @ 42 PSI. On my 9.1 mile commute (each way) I've now been able to hold 56 TO work and now a personal best 61.5 BACK from work. The big reason my trip back is better is due to the fact I park on the 6th floor of a garage. I'm able to coast down in N the whole way and that helps a bunch. I've also started to coast in N down interstate off ramps and the longer one I can coast down is from work. I'm driving the speed limit or faster and accelerating "normally" and then chopping throttle as was suggested to me in another thread.

This is my first hybrid, so I still have a lot to learn but I'm feeling pretty good. Hoping I can improve as the car loosens up. Maybe next time my wifes out of town I'll strip the car a bit too she'd have a cow if she saw me pulling the seats out. The rear seat backs in particular seem very heavy.

FYI I'm getting my best milage not in ECON mode.

Another thing... I could be doing a lot better if the stop lights were timed better in my city. Owning this car has now shown me how much poor city traffic flow planning can hurt fleet fuel economy. I'm whining about losing 2-3 in a hybrid, what about all those poor bastards commuting in their F350's? Thinking about attending the next city council meeting and bringing this up.

Last edited by Gimpster; 03-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Gimpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'd say not to shift into neutral when coasting off the highway. When in N, the car will still consume gas. If you keep it in drive and coast, all gas flow is shut off.

If you're worried about slowing down too quickly from regen, you can lightly press the gas pedal to equalize the assist/regen meter, cancelling out any loss of speed to regen, but also burning no gas at all.

If you can, also don't park at the top of the parking garage. I don't know the set up of it, granted, but if you're driving up to the top, from the bottom, you'll use more gas than you'll save by coasting down later. If you can, just park as soon as you come in to the parking deck.

If it's not possible, don't worry about it.

Other than that, sounds like you're doing an excellent job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
buglermcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Gimpster Send a message via MSN to Gimpster Send a message via Yahoo to Gimpster

Hmm okay, I'll try pressing the gas lightly on the exit ramps with it in drive. I'll switch to the battery monitor to try and get a feel for that I suppose. Thats exactly why I was putting it in N though, because regen slowed me down so much I'd have to get back into it.

And yah, the bummer is we have to park in our assigned spaces. People of importance get to part on the first 1-2 floors and then we peons park on high.
Gimpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buglermcd View Post
I'd say not to shift into neutral when coasting off the highway. When in N, the car will still consume gas. If you keep it in drive and coast, all gas flow is shut off.
It's a catchy situation though, when you are in gear and coasting in fuel cut, if you can even maintain fuel without regen, the car is still losing speed that it wouldn't in neutral since the engine compression is slowing you down. It's tough because you might think you are avoiding regen and in fuel cut but might be burning fuel. Watching the energy display should make it clear if the engine is providing fuel or not though, us 1st gen people don't have that luxury without a scanguage but I'll usually hold my MPG between the 125-150mpg level since the compression losses are minimal with a 1L 3cyl engine and it helps to maintain speed while in lean burn. I was just at a Honda dealer a few days ago and wanted to test drive the 2nd gen Insight but moreso just wanted a good look at it, nobody came by while I was looking at the great looking car so I couldn't ask for a drive. I might have declined anyway considering I'm not interested in another car at the moment and the car still had the plastic cover on the drivers seat too and the hood was still covered in whatever pre-sale hood and fender protecting stuff that they hadn't removed yet that originally made me think it was a bad paint job until I realized it peels off with a little fingernail action.

I'd recommend tire pressure at the sidewall max if you aren't comfortable going higher, it provides much improved MPG.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default 1st Insight Experience

I thought I was doing good. After 300 miles, my average is 43MPG. I reset my trip B the other day because I had to drive around 65 mi round trip, mostly freeway; mixed a little city driving in for good measure, and averaged 48MPG.
I figured pretty good since it's still in the break-in mode.

I'm curious about the tire pressures though. The dealer set mine at the recommended 33PSI. Another post mentioned 42PSI. It seems to me that the ride would be much compromised?? What's your take? Does it ride much rougher?

And lastly, what is "regen"? I do not understand that part of the discussion. So if someone could kindly enlighten me

One final though; I always leave the "econ" on. Whenever the auto-stop comes on, it usually only stays on for 30 -40 seconds, then the engine comes back on. I have actually timed it, and it's always that same time. What are you experiencing with auto-stop?
lhutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Honestly I didn't notice much change in the ride quality airing up my tires, but I should mention I drove a Chevrolet Cobalt SS before this car.. which had a pretty stiff suspension. I think its actually improved the cornering performance of the car, and I tend to take corners a bit fast to keep momentum. I'm going to try airing up to sidewall max and then if I get froggy move it higher.

Regen = regenerative braking. This is when the electric motor of your car becomes a generator and recharges the high voltage pack. Wiki article with more: Regenerative brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Auto-stop has been really inconsistant for me with both econ on or off. I find no rhyme or reason when the car chooses or chooses not to auto-stop. Times I've sat at a light for 2-3 minutes I scratched my head wondering why the car was still idling.

I've never timed it, but with the econ button off I sat at a light for quite awhile today and it never kicked back on till the light was green. I've also not had the heat or ac on yet since we're in Spring. I'm in Iowa and there isn't a whole lot of stop & go traffic around here, but if I get caught in some I'll try to time it.

This is all very new to me... I'm used to hauling *** not saving gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhutton View Post
I thought I was doing good. After 300 miles, my average is 43MPG. I reset my trip B the other day because I had to drive around 65 mi round trip, mostly freeway; mixed a little city driving in for good measure, and averaged 48MPG.
I figured pretty good since it's still in the break-in mode.

I'm curious about the tire pressures though. The dealer set mine at the recommended 33PSI. Another post mentioned 42PSI. It seems to me that the ride would be much compromised?? What's your take? Does it ride much rougher?

And lastly, what is "regen"? I do not understand that part of the discussion. So if someone could kindly enlighten me

One final though; I always leave the "econ" on. Whenever the auto-stop comes on, it usually only stays on for 30 -40 seconds, then the engine comes back on. I have actually timed it, and it's always that same time. What are you experiencing with auto-stop?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=lhutton;161521]

[QUOTE]

I usually run around 40 PSI in the summer. The higher the pressure the harsher the ride (feel the bumps more), but less rolling resistance and thus better mileage.

I agree with Gimp, harder tires the car handles better.
jraynor196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Auto stop secrets

From my observations, the secret to auto-stop is to turn the heat/ac off before you reach 7mph as you are coming to stop. If you do this, the car always auto-stops after it has warmed up, and it stays stopped for a long time. I have timed it a 7 minutes until I got bored waiting for it to start. If you have driven the car and warmed it up, and then park and return to the car say an hour later, it will auto stop even when the blue engine cold light is on. If you park and return to the car shortly, auto-stop will not engage even if warm until about 30 secs after start-up. If the auto-stop does not engage when you come to a stop, it never will no mater how long you idle. If you are in auto-stop and let your foot of the brake so it starts, it will re-stop if you push on the break again even if you haven't moved. I have observed once shifting from D to N when idling engaged auto-stop, but I have never been able to reproduce this. If you must run the heat directing the heat so it is to the floor, or floor/mid, increases auto stop probability, but it will restart after 30-40secs under these conditions.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Auto-stop freaked me out the other day. I was stopped and didnt have my foot on the peddle hard as I should and the car restarted. Thing jumped on me and rolled about 3 feet forward oops. So now I keep my foot on the peddle hard.

Also another trick I do when I'm parking or going in the garage and it autostops is to turn the key off and then put it in P. Otherwise the car will restart itself in P and thats a waste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in