Getting 67mpg going 55nph, WOOHOO!!! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Getting 67mpg going 55nph, WOOHOO!!!

YouTube - gettin 67 going 55

Yes, I still got it. Cant wait for even more warmer weather and more tricks to get bettter fuel economy.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

That's great but how'd it go from 67 to 58 and back again? Did you accidentally hit your trip A/B button?
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

It's like you've enabled the super secret I2 lean burn that doesn't really exist. Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
It's like you've enabled the super secret I2 lean burn that doesn't really exist. Nice!
Probably not lean burn as the I1 was capable of(24:1), but surely very high air/fuel ratio, just below the limit of NOx rejection authorized. I experienced this quite a bit with my I2, and it's not difficult to stay within 75-80mpg for several miles. Since we cleared out that there is no cylinder deactivation in highway cruising mode, and that VCM is for use when decelerating, it could be the only explanation left... anyone disagree ?
Purplegate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
YouTube - gettin 67 going 55

Yes, I still got it. Cant wait for even more warmer weather and more tricks to get bettter fuel economy.
How? Are you going downhill, or what?

I've been keeping mine right at 60mpg, but I'm taking backroads and being super conscious of my driving; cruise always drops my MPG.

Backroads really don't bother me. 60mpg is 60mpg no matter what road I'm taking, amirite?
regeya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yup a high air to fuel ratio would do it.

Another little trick is to go down a mile long 4% odd grade. Hit the bottom at 60+ mph and a fully top offed battery. Then on the very very gentle downgrade of the next 3 miles really feather foot the gas pedal to use as little gas as possible and as much battery as possible to maintain speed. The full battery will further reduce rolling resistence, the steap and gentle downgrades give lots of help to the battery from gravity in maintaining speed, and so the mpg can go very very high. Once the road levels out or the battery SOC drops to level 5, it'll be back to the usual 45-50-55 mpg to maintain speed.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Sorry. I thought from my previous posts it was assumed this was going posted limits on cruse down i95 north from Rives Rd exit 40?to i64 exit 75 in the right lane at night with no ac and radio going. I take this route several times a day or night and use it as a bench mark for mpg testing.

Later I will post a video where I am going 65mph, getting 65mpg and traveled 65 miles from rt 460 to 64, 264 to va beach. 65, 65, 65!!!!

As for the screen going to 58 and back. That is my total for the tank. I reset trip b on runs to see that runs mpg.

Last edited by Cobb; 04-18-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
...I take this route several times a day or night and use it as a bench mark for mpg testing. ....I reset trip b on runs to see that runs mpg.
I just love your use of the same piece of road as a bench mark and use of Trip B to compare and discover wht works best. I do the same and look forward to learning from you what works best for top mpg!
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in