How are people using the trip A and B settings? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default How are people using the trip A and B settings?

I have my trip A set to reset after each fuel up. My trip B I haven't done anything with. How are you all using yours?

Is anyone using trip A or B to calculate more exact mpg figures, e.g., r/t to work, etc? I am finding that 20/40/60 thing not specific enough for measuring mpg on alternate routes.
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

The only way I have ever used the second trip meter on any of my cars is as total mileage on a trip, as to know how far I have driven total at any point in the trip.
fiatwins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pretty close to "fiatwins" here. I use trip A as a tank mileage check and trip B for any other measurement of interest. Either longer or shorter than a tank fill-up interval. I've checked 900 mile round trips and easy drives to town on a Saturday morning, Six miles downhill where I can get 67+ mpg on a CVT.

I like to check the trip to work in the morning with a strong tailwind, or home against it, just to see how much it can vary. Fun to watch the numbers.

Brian
BrianZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Even though I have Trip Meter A automatically reset on fuel up, I also manually reset Trip Meter B at the same time. So in essence it is simply a redundant meter for me.
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I manually reset trip B every morning before starting the engine. I used to use it to compare different driving styles over a given piece of terrain, but have found styles that seem to work best at this point.

Trip A is automatically set to reset at fillup. At fillup I always use a credit card and write total miles driven and trip A mpg on the credit card slip. I then post those numbers at fuelly.

With this system I'm able to use mpg numbers to develop best mpg driving style, see daily mpg, see mpg per fillup, see total / overall mpg (currently a very satisfactory 50.0 mpg).
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Gimpster Send a message via MSN to Gimpster Send a message via Yahoo to Gimpster

I do the same as moviemike, except I use GasBuddy on my iPhone instead of fuely.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

A is for miles per fill up
B is Mile per month cause i'm on a lease
captaingohan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have Trip A set to automatically go to zero at fillup.

I use Trip B to keep a running total of "lifetime" MPG. I started this a little late and have about 1300 miles on Trip B of a total 2075 miles on the car.
SamHouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

A - I reset every 1000 miles.
B - lifetime of car
The Beard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

A - Automatically reset upon fillup
B - Lifetime of car
erfkzoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in