Effect of winds on MPG - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Effect of winds on MPG

Has anyone noticed that when its windy, mpg takes a hit.
When there is no wind, at least in my area (miami), i can cruise all day (not on highways) with the mpg gauge sitting between 75 mpg to 100 mpg, and being able to go alot longer on just electric motor.

When its windy, its alot harder for me to keep it up that high. Anyone else ever notice that.
pikkashoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I only drive when there is a tailwind. If there is a headwind I will pull over and auto-stop until the wind changes direction. It takes me long time to get anywhere.

corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, I notice it all the time, it causes a -huge- impact on MPGs and maintaining speed at the same MPG. This isn't just affecting Insights, it is all cars. Even more so with larger vehicles with large frontal area such as SUVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

LOL thats hilarious.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey415 View Post
I only drive when there is a tailwind. If there is a headwind I will pull over and auto-stop until the wind changes direction. It takes me long time to get anywhere.

Heh

As far as MPG goes, I haven't noticed a significant impact due to wind on my short commute. I imagine the effect is magnified on longer trips, though.

However, on a related note, I have noticed that this car gets buffeted by wind easier than similar cars of it's size that I've been in.

I'm fairly used to it since my last vehicle was a truck, but I was caught off guard at first by how easily the car can be blown around by strong gusts, especially from the side. It doesn't help that Dallas/Ft. Worth is windier, on average, than "The Windy City" of Chicago :P

My first road trip in the car was to Houston on a particularly windy day, and I remember fighting the car the whole way down...at times it felt really unstable, to be honest, almost like I was on ice

I think I read that Cobb installed an anti-sway bar from the Fit, that apparently helps with this issue. Don't know if it would have any positive benefit on MPG, though, maybe he can report his own findings...

Speaking of which, Cobb, do you have a link to the bar you used? I'm interested since it's one of the few problems I have with the Insight's handling. Was it hard to install?

// Edit - sorry...bit of thread-jack there

Last edited by RahTX; 05-07-2010 at 12:46 PM.
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

A sway bar can help with that? Interesting!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Best time for drafting

You can often save nearly 10 mpg by drafting, especially into the wind. There will be less benefit when it's a crosswind or tailwind. When conditions are a little rough I try to use a box truck like a 28-32 footer as opposed to a tractor trailer type. Those will have their own battles.

It took me a while to get comfortable, at first I would stay about 5 seconds back. I know a lot of people will get much closer. Worth a try when it's feasible.
BrianZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Brian, thats some hardcore stuff your talking about. Im sure your MPG goes up, but I dont think the risk of drafting a truck like that is worth it. One abrupt stop and you got yourself a rear end accident, which will kill your MPG savings instantly when you have to pay tickets and insurance deductibles.

But I guess 5 seconds behind isnt that bad. Only thing is I never really drive on the highways here in my area. Im sure its great for highway driving.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rahtx, yeah i noticed this car gets thrown around like a rag doll with the wind. Ive never experienced that with any other car I have owned. I read in another thread, some guy changed his tires and it definitely helped that issue.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Aside from the wind direction, it is important to KEEP THE WINDOWS SHUT, as open windows will increase drag substantially and drop mpg. Use the flow thru vents and the blower system to pass air through the car.
InsightSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in