Advices to do more MPG - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Advices to do more MPG

I have got my Insight a week ago and so far doing 44MPG, but still looking for any advices and still having some questions:

Do I need to:
1. Use or not the Eco button where I have a lot of stops/lights?
2. Turn off the Eco button when driving uphill and downhill?
3. Keep the Eco button when driving "flat" freeway?

other advices?

Thanks.
JackTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The biggest increase is found by adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel.

People have reported both increases and decreases with use of econ mode.

Just sit back and read the forms here and the first gen one for tips and tricks.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I ALWAYS drive with Econ ON unless I absolutely need the extra power that OFF provides. Driving uphill, especially in the tunnels around me, is one example.

I do not have cruise-control, but when driving on a flat surface, my realtime-MPG MID screen always improves when I push the ECON to "ON".
euro sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Flat Cruise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro sport View Post
I ALWAYS drive with Econ ON unless I absolutely need the extra power that OFF provides. Driving uphill, especially in the tunnels around me, is one example.

I do not have cruise-control, but when driving on a flat surface, my realtime-MPG MID screen always improves when I push the ECON to "ON".
Cruise Control always does better MPG for me. I use whenever possible on level/flat terrain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UseTheEarth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheKnife View Post
I have got my Insight a week ago and so far doing 44MPG, but still looking for any advices and still having some questions:

Do I need to:
1. Use or not the Eco button where I have a lot of stops/lights?
2. Turn off the Eco button when driving uphill and downhill?
3. Keep the Eco button when driving "flat" freeway?

other advices?

Thanks.
Congrats on your new car. I am still experimenting with Econ on/off but have kept it on most of the time. Even so, my mpg can vary greatly, depending on traffic conditions, slight variations in my driving/throttle pressure, and the timing of the signals. For example, yesterday I drove to pick up pizza a few miles away. As stated, Econ was on. I got 67 mpg for a short drive. The terrain is mostly flat, a few stop signs and few signals. No long idling, and one area with a decent downhill for about a 1/2 mile. On the way back, retracing my steps, I got only 38+ mpg. The return trip included going back up the hill, and I was probably pressing the gas a bit more but I blame it on the pizza .

Earlier this week I drove about 45 min. on a flat, main thoroughfare (not freeway ) and never went over 45 mph and made mostly green lights. I was at nearly 71 mpg at one point. But then I got on the freeway, increased speed to 60-65 mph, went up and over some hills, and finally ended with mpg in the high 50's. All on Econ.

As soon as I take Econ off, I end up in the bright blue light of my dash so I just keep it on. But after reading some posts here I am going to experiment more with Econ off, particularly when using cruise control.
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

One thing I noticed about ECON is that if you have it ON. Then you hold the gas pedal in exactly the same spot, while pushing the button to OFF. What happens is the engine rpm goes up. Also there is less pedal travel needed to achieve a given amount of acceleration. This is great at low speeds where ON gives more pedal travel allowing for more subtle use of the gas pedal ...and higher mpg.
Have the engine operate as little as possible, especially when standing still or moving slowly; while also meeting my demands for power and maneuvering. This means most battery charging while cruising city streets and rural roads, max regen from slowing down and downgrades, and only using heater or A/C when the engine is on for other purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Moviemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

okay, Someone said something about the "Nut behind the steeringwheel"... I just want to know What the HELL are you talking about ?
Dave23703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave23703 View Post
okay, Someone said something about the "Nut behind the steeringwheel"... I just want to know What the HELL are you talking about ?
I'm thinking Cobb (intentionally ) misquoted the old system administrator's adage, "Problem exists between keyboard and chair."

In this case, the adjustment goes to the nut situated between the steering wheel and the driver's seat.
magus_melchior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus_melchior View Post
I'm thinking Cobb (intentionally ) misquoted the old system administrator's adage, "Problem exists between keyboard and chair."
Haha, PEBKAC is exactly what I pictured when I read Cobb's post

I barely get the EPA estimate on an average tank, so I'm surprised my MID hasn't given me a I-D-"TEN"-T code yet
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, PEBKAC!!!!

When I started driving 5 or so years ago, I found it was easy to achieve if not beat the new or old epa ratings. After talking to other people and watching them drive, I found out why.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in