Insight MPG variations; depending on how you drive. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight MPG variations; depending on how you drive.

In order to get really high MPG, the Insight can not be driven like a "normal " car. If I hypermile it, I get from the high 40's to mid 50's(depending on terrain and traffic conditions) average per trip. If I drive like I'm not in a hurry, am somewhat light on the pedal, I typically get in the low to mid 40's MPG. However If I'm in somewhat of a hurry and drive it slightly aggressively,(not hot rodding it) I get in the low to mid 30' s.

Conclusion. Unlike a non hybrid car, MPG with the insight is GREATLY influenced on HOW and WHERE you drive it. All that being said, I really like my Insight a lot.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

from driving it for a few times lately, I notice to achieve better gas mileage is to accelerate to the speed you need on the light blue light. Then gentlely manage it to stay in the same speed. That's how I've been driving it lately to achive 50s.
runtohel121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtohel121 View Post
from driving it for a few times lately, I notice to achieve better gas mileage is to accelerate to the speed you need on the light blue light. Then gentlely manage it to stay in the same speed. That's how I've been driving it lately to achive 50s.
That's my point. With this car, you have to make a conscious effort to get really high fuel economy. If you just drove it without paying attention to the light, your MPG typically wouldn't be that high. The way the Insight is set up is the driver GREATLY determines the level of fuel economy. This is true with conventional cars as well; although to a MUCH lesser extent.

With driving habits, MPG varies lets say 2-5 MPG on a conventional car. With the Insight, MPG could vary 20-25MPG
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I just remind myself of newtows law. Energy can not be created or destroyed, just changed and I want to cram it all in to my battery pack.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthonda View Post
That's my point. With this car, you have to make a conscious effort to get really high fuel economy. If you just drove it without paying attention to the light, your MPG typically wouldn't be that high. The way the Insight is set up is the driver GREATLY determines the level of fuel economy. This is true with conventional cars as well; although to a MUCH lesser extent.

With driving habits, MPG varies lets say 2-5 MPG on a conventional car. With the Insight, MPG could vary 20-25MPG
I have to disagree, or my car does. I can drive it pretty average and I get 46-48 in town driving.

Freeway is another thing. The speed-limit is 70 so everyone travels 75+. I think I'm in the low 40's at that speed.
CraigCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

so the trick is take off fast and on blue display and when u get to the desired speed just stay on green??
does that work for both highway and city?
i always take off slow ( green display and hate it ) cause i thout u get more mpg that way
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 06:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
so the trick is take off fast and on blue display and when u get to the desired speed just stay on green??
does that work for both highway and city?
i always take off slow ( green display and hate it ) cause i thout u get more mpg that way
That's what we're all saying. Start out fast (blue) and get up to speed, then level off and maintain that speed with green.

I normally only pay attention to the blue/green light for braking purposes. It tells you when you're doing regen braking (green) or friction braking (blue).

Mostly I pay attention to the real-time mpg-meter (slider) and the average for the trip.
jrlnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

ill try that then
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm in the desert where the temps aren't going below 80 at night and up to 113 in the day.

With the AC on all the time my mileage has dropped to the low to mid 40's.

I'm tired of being the last one off the light so I started to take off with the flow of traffic. When I reach my speed I lift off the accelerator pedal, paddle shift to 7th and continue on. As soon as I paddle shift to 7th the instant mpg bar jumps to 100 and then will settle above 50 to maintain a constant speed.

So far it seems to work, plus I finally get to use the paddles.

I also keep the Cruise turned on all the time and after I hit my speed and paddle shift to 7th, I hit the cruise, if possible. I tried to control the speed of the car but the cruise gets better mileage than I do.

Last edited by CraigCA; 07-30-2010 at 10:25 AM.
CraigCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthonda View Post

I know I'm late to the party but I have to pipe in. With any car you have to make a conscious effort to get really high fuel economy. I think you're looking at the equation from a skewed perspective. What I think you should really look at is the difference (delta) between what the EPA number is, what you and other drivers achieve, and what the car is fully capable of doing.

For instance, the 2010 Fit AT is EPA-rated 28/35/31. My friend, who owns one, can manage 38.5mpg at best with mostly highway driving (steady-state). Her normal average range is 27-33mpg.

Contrast that with my Insight which, as we know, is EPA-rated 40/43/41. The worst FE avg has been 36mpg which is a result of my wife idling with the A/C on (curse you warmest year on record!) while our combined normal driving average range is mid-40s (43-46mpg). Driving that same "best" route as my friend's 2010 Fit at the same speeds (also steady-state) I easily hit 50.4mpg. If I try with moderate hypermiling (55mph, P&G, etc...) I can definitely hit upper-60s if not into the low-70s.

As you can see, the delta between EPA and beating the EPA for the 2010 Fit is +3mpg whereas the Insight is +7mpg. If you really hypermile, I doubt the Fit could get much higher than mid-40s without resorting to advanced hypermiling techniques. That would be a +10mpg increase (probably +15mpg with advanced techniques). A number of other Insight drivers on this forum can consistently hit the mid-60s which is more than a 20mpg increase.

The large delta exists not because of the effort required but rather because the Insight is so much more capable as a high-FE machine. In other words, the payback for being FE-conscious is greater in the Insight than in a conventional car. The worst you can do in an Insight (without intentionally degrading FE) is somewhere in the 30s. In a conventional car like the Fit it is totally possible to be in the teens. However, the best you can do in the Insight is 70+mpg whereas the Fit can eek out, maybe, 50mpg. Between the two using the same speed and driving style the Insight will give you greater efficiency numbers than the Fit over the EPA-rating.

And for the record, it was a struggle for me to even achieve the EPA rating on my previous car much less beat it!

JP

Last edited by jpleong; 07-30-2010 at 02:33 PM.
jpleong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in