Hot weather killing my mpg - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Hot weather killing my mpg

My mpg average (according to Fuelly) has been dropping steadily since the beginning of June. It's around 90+ degrees hear in east Los Angeles County and over the past month I've had to run the A/C more (though not constant). At least I can get some gratification a couple times a week from my morning commute which hits 70mpg on the MID for the first hour, which is on level surface streets with timed signals.
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Use of the ac seems to significantly affect MPG with this car. I loose up to 10mpg in city driving; depending on driving conditions and how much the ac is cranked up. To minimize the MPG impact, keep the temp set between 72-74 and use ECON mode.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...mpact-mpg.html
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Weird...running the A/C constant on lowest temp - to put things in perspective, it was 90 this afternoon, and it felt "cool" compared to last week - and over the course of a full tank it only affected me by around 2-3mpg compared to ~6 weeks ago
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I keep my AC at 72-74 and that feels cool when it's 100 outside. I think probably 2-3 mpg loss also.

I think the biggest effect is tire pressure. I just bumped the tire pressure back to 40. This last tank I had put it back down to 33 and my mpg dropped to about 40 on the MID, sometimes upper 30's. Now with 40psi I'm back to the upper 40's.
CraigCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Best I can get is 55mpg with ac on auto 73. Without ac and sweating it still going 56mph I can repeat a 67mpg.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

A couple of you mentioned keeping the a/c temp on 70-72. I haven't used the auto-climate function at all since I've had the car, mainly because my old VW Beetle didn't have one. So in my I2 I just set the temp randomly, e.g., turning it to 62 or up to 75, depending on conditions.

Maybe I should be setting the auto-climate control now that I'm using the a/c more? Or should I just set it to 70-72 and try to leave it? How does setting/changing the temp control affect mpg, particularly when it's just the vent on and no a/c?
Keen4Green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

When you pick auto it uses ac to remove moisture from the air and mixes heat as needed. It is basically the better setting for year round. When you do it your way you are mixing heat in with the ac and the ac cycles til it develops too much pressure on the high side.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

whats the diff with auto a/c??
u can still control the fan speed and the temp

i used to think itd get fixed to one temp depending on how hot it was outside
idk anymore
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

cheesie, just hit the center auto button, then rotate the knob for yourtemp setting. Myself and passengers seem to like 73 while traveling. In stop n go I may start out on lo, then as the car cools down move it up.

Interestingly on lo it seems to have a much higer blower setting than you can get through the manual fan control.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in