Break In Period - Effects on MPG - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Break In Period - Effects on MPG

I'm a new owner with 2,500 miles racked up. I know the official engine break in period is 600 mi, if I remember correctly from the owners manual. I'm curious what other owners are experiencing with regard to changes in mileage trend up to 10,000 mi. or so. I think the fluctuation I'm seeing right now is probably weather related since we're in the middle of summer here.

With modest care for achieving good mileage, I'm seeing 44 MPG consistently in mixed driving using ECON w/AC; resetting the mileage computer daily.

Also, I'm inclined to keep a 3k mi oil changing regiment, particularly for at least the first few oil changes to remove any possible metal particulate shed during the break in period. Even if this isn't needed, which it may not be on a modern engine, it can't hurt.
oceanconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

"Also, I'm inclined to keep a 3k mi oil changing regiment, particularly for at least the first few oil changes to remove any possible metal particulate shed during the break in period. Even if this isn't needed, which it may not be on a modern engine, it can't hurt."

I would wait on changing the oil when the car tells you to. There are specific reasons and years of Honda experience that will get you 10,000 - 11,500 miles per oil change. Their designs are much smarter than you or I. Why fight it. The engine needs these particles to break in the engine. Wait. I know it's hard, but wait. My first oil change was at 10,800 miles and now I'm averaging over 50 MPG per tank!
jlboris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I didnt see an increase or more torque til 10 thousand miles. I think the computer issetup to limit performance til you travel soo many miles.

Changing oil early just wastes filters and oil.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is fantastic and very helpful news... I'm up to about 4K on mine now and very eager to change the oil, but the longer i drive it and the longer I seem to wait, the better my MPG is getting... This is really really great! Who'd a thunk it 10000 miles between oil changes, that can only mean so much more for the life of the drivetrain.

Cobb, you really think that the computer is holding out? That would be very interesting.
Dave23703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just got mine about 3 days ago and my worst trip so far was 56mpg....the rest were between 58 and 60....going off the A B and C trips.....I'm doing everything to try to improve mpg..no a/c...slow take offs...coasting to lights....I have 250 miles total on the car... these are about 70% hwy 30 city....so far very happy with my purchase
rcg10insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Approaching 7K miles

....and now consistently getting 45-46 mpg in mixed driving. On two longer trips, have hit 50-51 mpg. First several tankfuls when new were at 40-42 mpg.

I not gonna demand that it gets better than that in the future; those mpg figures are already over the EPA estimates for the car (41city/43hwy).
2007 Kia Rondo
garnermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default update @ 4k miles

Mileage results are fairly consistent. I do notice that high mileage numbers become _really_ sensitive to various factors. I'm easily seeing a 8mpg+/16% penalty for running A/C in economy mode. Morning commute w/o A/C, I can usually hit 48-52mpg.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Question Why low mileage?

I've had my Insight EX for less than two weeks, but I really am worried about the low mileage. Yesterday, it was down to 34 mpg average. Down from 37+ mpg.

Also, after the first day, the engine seldom auto stops at stop lights, full stops. I was told 1) the engine has to warm up and 2) the battery has to be "quite" full. My battery usually has one slim dark space at the top. I don't recall it ever being absolutely full.

What is normal for this battery image? My recollection is that it was not competely full when I got the car. It did get down to about a third showing dark (meaning incomplete charge, right?), after I drove about 5 miles to a destination during rain at night, so the wipers were in use and lights were on, and heatalso as it was cold (low 40's). The tire pressure warning was also on.

I was going to the dealer the next day anyway (day 3 of driving the Insight), and they found the tires were all below 30psi (and they were not cold, as I'd driven about 20 miles) and inflated them all to 33. I managed to leave my good tire gauge in my old car, so have to buy another to be able to check for myself what the cold psi actually is.

The service manager told me that the auto stop wasn't working due to a low battery. There are steepish, longish hills on the way to the dealership, so even though I'd driven almost 20 miles, that was not enough, apparently, to get the battery up. Also, at that point, I hadn't been lightly riding the brake pedal to increase charging (that is what I need to do, right?).

I also have slight inclines on the final two miles to my house, so I don't have a way to charge up the battery to have it fuller on that part of my driving.

Would inflating the tires to a higher psi help?

I've picked up from reading here and on other Insight blogs that I should be using the brake, lightly, to get a higher recharge rate to the battery. I also read that in city driving I should get up to the posted speed quickly, then back off to allow regeneration. But I also watched videos which seemed to indicate I should accelerating more slowly. Should I be sort of feathering my gas pedal pressure? Seems tiresome and annoying, but how do I get better regeneration?

I seldom place my full foot on the gas pedal, just the ball of my foot, but I suppose one could lead foot it that way also, eh? But I haven't been doing that. Actually, I've been worried about not getting up to freeway speed fast enough and worry about causing irritation or problems for other drivers.

I'm still trying to remember to turn off the radio, so it's not on when I start the car. That's kind of annoying, but I can live with it...when I finally make it a habit. I also read the heat/fan should be turned off as well? If this is so important to good mileage why didn't Honda make it an option so it would be automatic?

I'm also having to learn that the bright dashboard lights do not mean I've turned the headlights on! In my other cars, the dash didn't get really bright unless the headlights were on. I've driven farther that I thought possible with the daytime safety lights on.

But the mileage is the big issue: What to do?

I'm beginning to think my driving patterns mean I should not have gone with the Insight, but the Prius, which gets better mileage in city driving. I've been getting a sick feeling in my stomach about my decision....

Any suggestions?

Help!!

Last edited by catsight; 11-13-2010 at 11:24 AM.
catsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

The biggest lesson I've learned thus far is that mileage above the EPA estimate of 41/43 is really sensitive to anything that may throw it off. I _really_ like the car; everything about it. For me the potential for great mileage is just a bonus. (I'm in the camp that thinks catastrophic global warming is BS and is more politics than science). I realize others may have bought an Insight primarily for mileage though.

First off make sure you're not running it in 'sport' mode, S position on the shifter. Could explain your auto-stop problem. Econ mode also makes heavier use of auto-stop.

Low tire pressure will definitely drop your mileage. With the onset of cold weather and 8 weeks of not checking it, mine dropped to 27.5 psi and mileage was frequently around 32mpg. The recommended PSI should get you around the EPA estimate of 41/43. I've frequently run my tires around 10% over spec, 3 psi (36 total) in the case of the Insight. For safety reasons I cannot recommend that you ever over inflate your tires. It can negatively affect traction and handling and in the end be dangerous.

Some say cold weather can negatively affect combustion efficiency; i.e. cold intake air, longer warm up periods, etc.

RE: battery, I wouldn't worry about the battery state too much. In the end, the energy all ultimately comes from the same place, the gas tank. I've seen the engine will actually charge the battery on level terrain at cruising speed if the battery is low. It's not up to you to charge it.

RE: regen-braking, sane driving first, efficiency second. Light longer braking will probably store more energy. I try not to bury the charge needle. If you brake too hard your heads up display will glow blue. Feathering can convince the engine to switch to battery only for brief periods. But eventually, all of that energy comes from using gasoline.

RE: radio off when the car starts, my un-qualified opinion is that's bunk. It's not that much power.

If mileage is _the_ most important thing to you then maybe a Prius is a better choice. Personally, for me, the handling, looks and character of the Insight and the fact that it's a Honda are the most important, great mileage is just a bonus.

These are my observations. While my driving habits may not be the absolute most efficient (i.e. I like to listen to the radio which does technically use energy), they're good enough to consistently get 42-50mpg with some effort when not in stop and go traffic. I'm coming from driving a truck getting 16mpg. Even 32mpg in stop and go traffic is a win for me.

I hope you enjoy your new car.

Last edited by oceanconsulting; 11-15-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

catsight, good advice above. There are lots of factors that effect fuel economy and a 5 mile trip between the 2 cars will give misleading information,. The insight system just helps out where as the prius can travel in ev mode for a few miles up to 35mph. True during a 5mile run it may beat the Honda, however somewhere later on that energy needs to be put back and the prius will loose its gain over the Honda.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in