Hitch bike rack and mileage - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hitch bike rack and mileage

Is anyone else using a hitch mount bike rack, and if so, have you noticed a drop in MPG? I've owned my I2 for about a month, and this weekend was the first time I used my hitch rack for a long trip. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed with my overall mileage. I should point out that I was driving in a hilly section of NC and VA, and I'm sure the hilly terrain also contributed to the poor mileage.

On a positive note, a hitch is super easy to install on the I2.
Karp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default No change for me

No change that I could notice with a trailer hitch. High speeds will show the biggest MPG hit, but I don't really drive much over 70 on the freeways, and most of the time I'm driving slower than that.

Earlier this summer I drive to Boulder from San Diego and back with a bike rack and 29er MTB. I got about the same 42 mpg is was getting without the hitch. The car has 10k on it now and mileage is a little better.

Eddie
eddiejones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cool

Sorry to join in this conversation late. I just purchased a 2010 Insight and will be installing the Curt hitch. I also have the wiring harness that will allow me to use my car to tow a small, light utility trailer on occasion. I don't want to have to carry my garbage inside of my car. I can not locate any information on how to get the wiring done correctly. Can you please guide me or provide this information? Thanks, forum members! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.
joy2010insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in