Evil Number... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Evil Number...

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thats neat cobb.

Maybe you could clear something up for me. When you guys in the US are takling miles per gallon I assume you are talking about miles per [US] gallon.

The way I see a US gallon is only about 83% of an Imperial (UK) gallon which would mean that when you say 66.6 mpg the UK equivalent would be 80.2 mpg! This seems like a huge number compared to the official figures (61ish mpg in the UK)

You must have some serious mods or else you are driving at 37mph down hill with a following wind!
bubblebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebuzz View Post
Thats neat cobb.

You must have some serious mods or else you are driving at 37mph down hill with a following wind!
He is talking about a US gallon. As far as the mods, check out some of Cobbs posts to see some of the extreme mods he has done to his Insight. Just check out his signature for an abbreviated list.

Last edited by firsthonda; 09-26-2010 at 09:27 PM.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah, US. Its like 3.75 quarts vs 4 quarts or 128 ounces as many times I can put 10-11 gallons in the car when the low gas light comes on before the pump clicks off. It was common for gas stations to cheat the flow of the pumps.

If I went 37mph down hill following the wind I would have 150 on the display. Since my previous mods I just recently disconnected the power steering and since its under 90 degrees out winging it without the ac and either blower on or windows cracked an inch.

Here is a video of me going down i95 at 56mph on the cruse control just topping out at 69mpg.

YouTube - Getting 69 going 56

Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cobb,

How many miles per gallon, In your estimate, have you gained by disconnecting the power steering?
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

1.03%. Great questions and I always wonder after the fact how is a good way to express it. Basically on my usual run as seen in that video, my best was 67mpg. I hit 69mpg, so 2mpg or 1.03%

At lower speeds, way more or 1.15%. So where I use to get 71mpg at 36mph I can now get 82 or so.

I find it lessens the neg or positive recal that takes place when under a load or when you least expect it and if you do it charges back up rather quickly.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Cobb, I've seen where you have talked about disconnecting the steering, but when I look at my battery I'm still not absolutely certain which lug to disconnect. Do you have a picture or know where I can find what systems all of those wires go to?
Jayemtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

In the Gen 1, it's just a fuse labelled EPS(electronic power steering). I am pretty sure there is a fuse on the Gen 2 as well. For the Gen 1, it's a 40 amp fuse. Cobb can confirm how he did it. I have EPS off on mine, I never drive in the city, almost always on the highway and I am accostomed to steering while moving at least a slow speed to make it easy on the tires, this includes pulling into and out of parking spots. It feels normal to me, but then again the Gen 1 is a little lighter than the Gen 2 and I don't run stock tire pressures which helps.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

No photo yet. Ok, stand in front of the car. Remove the red top to the battery terminal. You will see 3-4 vertical nuts towards the drivers seat. Take the second one off going from the drivers side to the passenger side. YOu should see the corrosponding fuse os 40 amps. The fuse is made into the terminal, but you can unbolt the terminal and leave it off. Its a white wire on it.

Then when you get back in the car and start it the steering takes more effort and you get a beep and note to check power steering, then you can click the mid screen buttons and it does away.

Yeah, even short trips its easy to almost hit 70mpg.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mpg.jpg (61.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thank You sir,

My problem was identifying the 40 amp fuse that you had mentioned in other posts. I have a 60 amp, a 20 amp, and an unknown rating fuse. Also, I was not absolutely sure if you were counting left to right or right to left in previous posts.

I did take the wire off of terminal 2 in my picture and that did the trick. I'll give it a good test tomorrow.

Jayemtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in