Best gear to idle in for least fuel consumption? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Best gear to idle in for least fuel consumption?

I can tell you reverse is the highest in fuel consumption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGI6whr1GJw

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting info
carniver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carniver View Post
Interesting info
Indeed. If you ever get stuck in the mountains because of a snowstorm you'd better idle in P to keep you warm and maximize your chances for rescue .
Tinytimmy80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

It makes perfect sense that a car would use less fuel idling in park than in gear. Think about it.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytimmy80 View Post
Indeed. If you ever get stuck in the mountains because of a snowstorm you'd better idle in P to keep you warm and maximize your chances for rescue .
If you do that, make sure that you don't get the exhaust blocked. You can die from the CO entering the car if it cannot get away.

That's what a cell phone and emergency blanket are for.

LMPG since purchase: 54.1mpg
Mods Completed: HDFM/CD player, Air Horns.
New Battery at 212,000 miles (BumbleBee)
ac7ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac7ss View Post
If you do that, make sure that you don't get the exhaust blocked. You can die from the CO entering the car if it cannot get away.

That's what a cell phone and emergency blanket are for.
Of course my previous remark was a bit sarcastic, but you raise an interesting point.

A cell phone doesn't always work in those situations (or the battery dies trying to reach for help). And good luck with a blanket when it's -15C (first hand experience).
Idling in P was very nice I can tell you, especially when help is still an hour away.
Tinytimmy80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a 2m radio with me when it gets bad. I can find coverage most places, and can change batteries when necessary.

I agree, you can loose charge, be out of range, etc. with a cell. But it is still my first line. -15c, I would have more than a light blanket in my car anyway.

LMPG since purchase: 54.1mpg
Mods Completed: HDFM/CD player, Air Horns.
New Battery at 212,000 miles (BumbleBee)
ac7ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Good point guys. In the single digits we had last winter in the warm climate I live in I dressed for the weather. I had 2 cell phones, some fluids and even an MRE.

I use to take the ferry at one time and had to idle on the dock waiting for it. I would start the engine, get the car freaking hot, then kill the engine and let it cool down and repeat. If its single digits or less and you are not moving I think leaving it on is a better option, just be mindful of the exhaust being blocked or feeling sleepy.

I swear I heard in the news a few years ago you couldnt kill youself with a prius by leaving it running in a garage as the exhaust is too clean.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I swear I heard in the news a few years ago you couldnt kill youself with a prius by leaving it running in a garage as the exhaust is too clean.
That's just because the engine will stay off nearly all the time, unless you'll put it in Neutral and keep pressing on the accelerator pedal!
Mark0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
That's just because the engine will stay off nearly all the time, unless you'll put it in Neutral and keep pressing on the accelerator pedal!
...or just turn on the a/c and it runs forever. I once was at a dealership and the dealer couldn't figure out why it was running, I knew but it was fun waiting for him to figure out why it wouldn't stop. He never figured it out, I showed him what happens when you turn off the air conditioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in