Run in and Run into - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Run in and Run into

I've had my Gen 2 for a bit over a year now (got it in June 2009) and have done a ton of miles in that time. I'm up to 23k on the clock now. A lot of that was having a trip out to Germany.

Since about 20k miles, I've noticed that the indicated MPG has been getting better. I used to be able to get 65 (54 US) quite easily and struggled to get 74 (61.6 US) once or twice while really trying. Now, my usual commute can easily make 65 (54 US) even if I have to drive at 70mph one way to work and at my usual 53mph on cruise on the way home. If I have time to drive at 53 on both legs of the journey, the car can make 72-75 (60-62.4 US) nearly every time and when I really tried, I managed to get an all time record (for me) of 80 (Cobb's evil 66.6 US).

It seems that the engine has got run in properly only after 20k miles.

Only one problem... Some donut on a motorbike crashed into my car in August and smashed off the front end. He tried to cut across me and didn't make it, clipping the front plastics. The whole nose section fell off (like a F1 car). He didn't even stop. Just looked at the damage and rode off. So I had to pay for the whole thing on my insurance and didn't even get time to catch his licence plate (not that it would have probably done any good, as 1 in 10 drivers in the UK have no insurance anyway).

Anyway, it got fixed quite quick and looks ok. The insurer wanted to use their own bodyshop but I insisted that Honda repair it. If I'm gonna have to pay the huge excess on the policy they can at least use a decent shop... GRRRR...

I've now got one of those drive recorders that tracks the car and records full-time video of everything out the front windscreen. Already caught some near misses with one car shooting straight through a red light next to me. It's pretty neat. Just glued to the window behind the rear view mirror so it doesn't obstruct the view at all and the power wire just goes along the head liner and down the edge of the door pillar (avoiding the side air bag) and then under the passenger carpet to the 12V socket in the console. It has a GPS receiver so it can know where you are, how fast you are going and a 3D G-meter so it measures change in direction and impacts. It records everything on a SD card in a 3 hour cycle (erasing the oldest blocks as the card fills up).

Won't stop someone pranging into me again but might help catch them afterwards.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Glad it is still ok and you didnt suffer any mysterioius dip in fuel economny. Lets not forget the fact you were not injured.

Yeah, the engine seems to take a good 13 thousand to start to break in. I use the HVAC a lot and have the radio cranked up, so I dont see the evil number that often til I disconnected the power steering and crack the windows an inch.

Now its amazing, even short trips I almost break 70mpg...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mpg.jpg (61.8 KB, 27 views)
Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
javedjee78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaSight View Post
I've now got one of those drive recorders that tracks the car and records full-time video of everything out the front windscreen. Already caught some near misses with one car shooting straight through a red light next to me. It's pretty neat. Just glued to the window behind the rear view mirror so it doesn't obstruct the view at all and the power wire just goes along the head liner and down the edge of the door pillar (avoiding the side air bag) and then under the passenger carpet to the 12V socket in the console. It has a GPS receiver so it can know where you are, how fast you are going and a 3D G-meter so it measures change in direction and impacts. It records everything on a SD card in a 3 hour cycle (erasing the oldest blocks as the card fills up).

Any links or other info please?

Support Halo Select Auto Parts

Text Brents Mom419-460-436 seven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaSight View Post

Wow, I think I might get really into that. I'd just keep pulling into police stations and telling them about the bad drivers I had recorded :P lol Can they use that footage to give someone a ticket?
numbness4sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in